WATree redraw

Hilaire Fernandes-4
Hello,

With WATree, each time a node is unfolded pressing the +, the web page
is entirely updated and scrolled back at the top (as it is usual). From
an usability point of view this is kind of catastrophic, especially when
you have long tree, longer than the screen height. Do some of you know
some solution to fix that behaviour?

Thanks

Hilaire

Re: WATree redraw

Randal L. Schwartz

Hilaire> With WATree, each time a node is unfolded pressing the +, the web page is
Hilaire> entirely updated and scrolled back at the top (as it is usual). From an
Hilaire> usability point of view this is kind of catastrophic, especially when you have
Hilaire> long tree, longer than the screen height. Do some of you know some solution to
Hilaire> fix that behaviour?

To scroll to the right place, you need to have an <a name="anchorname"></a>
and the fetched page must fetch http:/......#anchorname, so it's *possible*,
but it's gonna take some work.

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

Re: WATree redraw

Lukas Renggli
>  Hilaire> With WATree, each time a node is unfolded pressing the +, the web page is
>  Hilaire> entirely updated and scrolled back at the top (as it is usual). From an
>  Hilaire> usability point of view this is kind of catastrophic, especially when you have
>  Hilaire> long tree, longer than the screen height. Do some of you know some solution to
>  Hilaire> fix that behaviour?

SUTreeReport from the Scriptaculous package.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: WATree redraw

Hilaire Fernandes-4
Lukas Renggli a écrit :
>>  Hilaire> With WATree, each time a node is unfolded pressing the +, the web page is
>>  Hilaire> entirely updated and scrolled back at the top (as it is usual). From an
>>  Hilaire> usability point of view this is kind of catastrophic, especially when you have
>>  Hilaire> long tree, longer than the screen height. Do some of you know some solution to
>>  Hilaire> fix that behaviour?
>
> SUTreeReport from the Scriptaculous package.

Yes, that's it.

Thanks

Re: WATree redraw

Hilaire Fernandes-4
Hilaire Fernandes a écrit :

>> SUTreeReport from the Scriptaculous package.
>
> Yes, that's it.
>
> Thanks

The component is very useful to browse a tree.
I need to add callbacks to the elements of the first row in the tree.
When a link is hit a report is displayed in another component (a
WATableReport). But again at this moment the page is recomputed so back
to the top of the screen. I will try Randal suggestion, this should be
workable.

competencyTree := SUTreeReport  new
        roots: (Array with: (IFIModels competency: 6));
        children: [ :competency | IFIModels linksTo: competency ];
        addColumn: [ :competency | [:html  | (html anchor)
                navigation;
                attributeAt: 'title' put: competency title;
                callback: [self selectCompetency: competency];
                with: (competency title truncateWithElipsisTo: 50) ]]
           label: 'Notions';
        yourself

Re: Re: WATree redraw

Lukas Renggli
>  competencyTree := SUTreeReport  new
>         roots: (Array with: (IFIModels competency: 6));
>         children: [ :competency | IFIModels linksTo: competency ];
>         addColumn: [ :competency | [:html  | (html anchor)
>                 navigation;
>                 attributeAt: 'title' put: competency title;
>                 callback: [self selectCompetency: competency];
>                 with: (competency title truncateWithElipsisTo: 50) ]]
>            label: 'Notions';
>         yourself

Well, you can also use a simple AJAX updater action.

html anchor
     onClick: (html updater
         id: 'nameOfDiv'l;
         callback: [ :r |
             self selectComp: comp.
             self renderComOn: r ];
         with: comp title

Cheers,
Lukas

Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Re: WATree redraw

Hilaire Fernandes-4

Le mardi 03 juin 2008 à 23:38 +0200, Lukas Renggli a écrit :

> >  competencyTree := SUTreeReport  new
> >         roots: (Array with: (IFIModels competency: 6));
> >         children: [ :competency | IFIModels linksTo: competency ];
> >         addColumn: [ :competency | [:html  | (html anchor)
> >                 navigation;
> >                 attributeAt: 'title' put: competency title;
> >                 callback: [self selectCompetency: competency];
> >                 with: (competency title truncateWithElipsisTo: 50) ]]
> >            label: 'Notions';
> >         yourself
>
> Well, you can also use a simple AJAX updater action.
Oh, that's pretty cool. It opens perspective I was not aware of.
Thanks a lot.

Hilaire