WHAT????

Travis Griggs
Tried to load Heeg's GHSpeedUpXMLParser. Opened the load parcel named
dialog. Didn't remember the whole name. I remembered the "Speed" part.

Typed
S...
a whole bunch of parcels appear. Looks like anything with an S in the
name, upper or lower
p...
winnowed it down to just SpecWrapper
paused
pondered
canceled
spent 5 minutes wading through file structure to prove to my self
that the parcel WAS there
tried again
Spe...
still just SpecWrapper
Spee...
ahh, there it is

This is not good. Users expect consistent behavior. And this is not.

--
Travis Griggs
Objologist

DISCLAIMER: This email is bound by the terms and conditions
described at
http://www.key.net/disclaimer.htm

RE: WHAT????

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Yup. Weird. Joerg had wrote about this couple of days ago,

<quote>

1) In a stock VW 7.4 image go to "System -> Load Parcels Named."

2) Type 'advan' into the find field. Notice it finds 'All Advanced Tool'
great so far.

3) Type an additional 'c' and notice 'All Advanced Tools' disappears!

Even better if you initially type 'Advanc' it will find 'All Advanced Tool'
but once you add an e it won't. Now given some blogging about Hamming
distances a few months ago I'm guess that is what is going on. So I suppose
it is working as designed, however the behavior is a bit counter-intuitive.

</quote>

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

RE: WHAT????

Alan Knight-2
I don't think it's anything to do with Hamming distances. I think the problem is that it's auto-completing the entry in the list to a guess at what you might want, probably because at some point all the things in the list match that prefix. You may notice that there are a bunch of extra characters you didn't type in the top section. But then the list changes out from underneath it, and it doesn't compensate. If you hit backspace when it's doing this, it will delete the extra characters and then will match what you'd expect. So this seems like a mismatch between the general search dialog behaviour of expanding out things and the parcel load dialog's trick of populating the list in the background.

I've created AR 50285 for this.

At 02:54 PM 2/15/2006, Boris Popov wrote:

>Yup. Weird. Joerg had wrote about this couple of days ago,
>
><quote>
>
>1) In a stock VW 7.4 image go to "System -> Load Parcels Named."
>
>2) Type 'advan' into the find field. Notice it finds 'All Advanced Tool'
>great so far.
>
>3) Type an additional 'c' and notice 'All Advanced Tools' disappears!
>

>Even better if you initially type 'Advanc' it will find 'All Advanced Tool'
>but once you add an e it won't. Now given some blogging about Hamming
>distances a few months ago I'm guess that is what is going on. So I suppose
>it is working as designed, however the behavior is a bit counter-intuitive.
>
></quote>
>
>Hope this helps,
>
>Cheers!
>
>-Boris
>
>--
>+1.604.689.0322
>DeepCove Labs Ltd.
>4th floor 595 Howe Street
>Vancouver, Canada V6C 2T5
>
>[hidden email]
>
>CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
>
>This email is intended only for the persons named in the message
>header. Unless otherwise indicated, it contains information that is
>private and confidential. If you have received it in error, please
>notify the sender and delete the entire message including any
>attachments.
>
>Thank you.

Alan Knight [|], Cincom Smalltalk Development
http://www.cincom.com/smalltalk

"The Static Typing Philosophy: Make it fast. Make it right. Make it run." - Niall Ross

Re: WHAT????

Dennis smith-4
We found this problem with combo-boxes in 7.3.x -- each search began on the "next" line from the last one, instead of
the current line.  The patch was simple if I remember correctly.

Alan Knight wrote:
[...]

Dennis Smith                        [hidden email]
Cherniak Software Development Corporation       +1 905.771.7011
400-10 Commerce Valley Dr E                Fax: +1 905.771.6288
Thornhill, ON Canada L3T 7N7    http://www.CherniakSoftware.com