Walkback creating View

Ian Bartholomew-20
I've just spent an embarrassingly long time tracking down a problem that
arose when creating a view for a Dialog subclass.

The symptoms were that although I could add a Dialog subclass and create a
view for it subsequent attempts to open or edit the view failed with a STB
walkback.

The cause was that I (rather stupidly I admit) had a class variable named
"Interval".  The new resource filing mechanism was obviously getting
confused between the Interval class and the class variable.

Demo...
Create a Dialog subclass with an classVar named "Interval"
Create a new view.
Add a NumberPresenter.Integer text to the view.
Save the view.
Try to edit/show the view

Ian

Re: Walkback creating View

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Ian,

> The cause was that I (rather stupidly I admit) had a class variable named
> "Interval".  The new resource filing mechanism was obviously getting
> confused between the Interval class and the class variable.

Is that (collision w/ a class name) really something one should be
expected to avoid?  It seems perfectly ok to me.

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Re: Walkback creating View

Ian Bartholomew-20
Bill,

> Is that (collision w/ a class name) really something one should be
> expected to avoid?  It seems perfectly ok to me.

It's quite legal (as far as I know anyway) but it just feels like one of the
things that it's advisable to avoid - especially if it's one of the basic
system classes that you are unscoping :-).

--
Ian

Use the Reply-To address to contact me.

Re: Walkback creating View

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Ian,

>>Is that (collision w/ a class name) really something one should be
>>expected to avoid?  It seems perfectly ok to me.
>

> It's quite legal (as far as I know anyway) but it just feels like one of the
> things that it's advisable to avoid - especially if it's one of the basic
> system classes that you are unscoping :-).

When you put it that way, it sounds more questionable :(

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Re: Walkback creating View

rush
"Ian Bartholomew" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
> Bill,
>
> It's quite legal (as far as I know anyway) but it just feels like one of
the
> things that it's advisable to avoid - especially if it's one of the basic
> system classes that you are unscoping :-).

hmm.. it still seems as bug to me, there is no reason name why name spaces
for class variables names and class names should be related or connected.

rush
--
http://www.templatetamer.com/
http://www.folderscavenger.com/