Walkback on Workspace close

Ian Bartholomew-21
I occasionally see a gpFault when closing a workspace but it's never
happened often enough to become an annoyance.  I _think_ I've seen
others mention it here as well?

I chased it a bit this morning and found it's quite difficult to
reproduce but, with a bit of perseverance, it is possible to
occasionally get the walkback.

Open a workspace, add some text and close it using the X.  The error
seems to occur when you click the No button quickly with the mouse
pointer moving in an upward direction.

There are at least three different walkbacks that can occur, I've copied
two of them below.

08:34:53, 30 November 2005: 'Invalid access to memory location. Writing
0xDCB1190, IP 0xDB467B3 (C:\Program Files\Object Arts\Dolphin Smalltalk
6.0\SciLexer.dll)'
ProcessorScheduler>>gpFault:
[] in ProcessorScheduler>>vmi:list:no:with:
BlockClosure>>ifCurtailed:
ProcessorScheduler>>vmi:list:no:with:
UserLibrary(ExternalLibrary)>>invalidCall
UserLibrary>>callWindowProc:hWnd:msg:wParam:lParam:
ScintillaView(ControlView)>>defaultWindowProcessing:wParam:lParam:
ScintillaView(ControlView)>>wmPaint:wParam:lParam:
ScintillaView(View)>>dispatchMessage:wParam:lParam:
[] in InputState>>wndProc:message:wParam:lParam:cookie:
BlockClosure>>ifCurtailed:
ProcessorScheduler>>callback:evaluate:
InputState>>wndProc:message:wParam:lParam:cookie:
InputState>>pumpMessage:
InputState>>loopWhile:
InputState>>mainLoop
[] in InputState>>forkMain
ExceptionHandler(ExceptionHandlerAbstract)>>markAndTry
[] in ExceptionHandler(ExceptionHandlerAbstract)>>try:
BlockClosure>>ifCurtailed:
BlockClosure>>ensure:
ExceptionHandler(ExceptionHandlerAbstract)>>try:
BlockClosure>>on:do:
[] in BlockClosure>>newProcess

08:58:20, 30 November 2005: 'Invalid access to memory location. Writing
0xDCBE250, IP 0xDB4ED1E (C:\Program Files\Object Arts\Dolphin Smalltalk
6.0\SciLexer.dll)'
ProcessorScheduler>>gpFault:
[] in ProcessorScheduler>>vmi:list:no:with:
BlockClosure>>ifCurtailed:
ProcessorScheduler>>vmi:list:no:with:
UserLibrary(ExternalLibrary)>>invalidCall
UserLibrary>>callWindowProc:hWnd:msg:wParam:lParam:
ScintillaView(ControlView)>>defaultWindowProcessing:wParam:lParam:
ScintillaView(View)>>defaultWindowProcessing:
ScintillaView(View)>>onMouseMoved:
SmalltalkWorkspace(Presenter)>>onMouseMoved:
ScintillaView(View)>>wmMouseMove:wParam:lParam:
ScintillaView(View)>>dispatchMessage:wParam:lParam:
[] in InputState>>wndProc:message:wParam:lParam:cookie:
BlockClosure>>ifCurtailed:
ProcessorScheduler>>callback:evaluate:
InputState>>wndProc:message:wParam:lParam:cookie:
ShellView(View)>>isDialogMessage:
ShellView>>preTranslateMouseInput:
ShellView(View)>>preTranslateMessage:
InputState>>preTranslateMessage:
InputState>>pumpMessage:
InputState>>loopWhile:
InputState>>mainLoop
[] in InputState>>forkMain
ExceptionHandler(ExceptionHandlerAbstract)>>markAndTry
[] in ExceptionHandler(ExceptionHandlerAbstract)>>try:
BlockClosure>>ifCurtailed:
BlockClosure>>ensure:
ExceptionHandler(ExceptionHandlerAbstract)>>try:
BlockClosure>>on:do:
[] in BlockClosure>>newProcess

I know this is all pretty vague, and probably not worth chasing, but I
thought it worth documenting.

--
Ian

Use the Reply-To address to contact me.

Re: Walkback on Workspace close

Blair McGlashan-3
"Ian Bartholomew" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
>I occasionally see a gpFault when closing a workspace but it's never
>happened often enough to become an annoyance.  I _think_ I've seen others
>mention it here as well?

Well not here, but in the beta newsgroup. We've an open bug on it as #1539.

I understand why it is happening; its a timing issue to do with when the
underlying C++ object of the Scintilla control is destroyed. I managed to
reduce the occurrence of it during the beta by suggesting a change to
Scintilla, and at one point thought it had been eliminated, however it is
now just frustratingly infrequent. Frustrating because intermittent bugs are
hardest to cure.

Regards

Blair

Re: Walkback on Workspace close

Ian Bartholomew-21
Blair,

> Well not here, but in the beta newsgroup. We've an open bug on it as #1539.

I knew I'd seen it somewhere - I should have realised where.  Thanks for
the explanation.

Are you thinking of making the "Changes in D6" and "Outstanding Issues"
reports available again?.  I find the former very useful in seeing what
changes have been made in D6, especially ones that are not so obvious,
and I would have thought it a useful resource for people not on the beta
test.  It just gives a bit more detail than in the What's new help pages.

And, of course, it would prevent problems being re-reported <coughs>