Want to contribute.... it is easy

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi

If you
are a native english speaker (or just good in english)
have limited amount of time
but still want to contribute

You can be on the other side and contribute to Pharo.
Please consider reading the books and making Pull Requests on the github repositories.

You do not have to know Pillar, you do not have to install LaTeX, you do not have to know
LaTeX, you do not even have to be good in Pharo, you just have to read and do a PR request.
All our books are built automatically on PRs!

I would like to publicly thanks
Sean de Nigris
Ted Brunz
Rene Pierre Mages
for their large edit pass on the books.

S.

03 59 35 87 52
Assistant: Aurore Dalle
FAX 03 59 57 78 50
TEL 03 59 35 86 16
S. Ducasse - Inria
40, avenue Halley,
Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650
France

Re: Want to contribute.... it is easy

Jeff Gray
Are there any that you would prioritise, or just a top to bottom?
And are we assuming American or British English?

Re: Want to contribute.... it is easy

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi Jeff

Thanks for your interest.
I think that reading what you like can be a good criteria.
Or

Pharo by Example
Pharo with Style
Learning OOD with TDD

are all good candidates

We are working on new book such as language interpreters and it can be really fun (but this is a personal
taste).

About choice of american vs. british I do not know.
We are usually using behavior and visualization so probably american.
Now I would say that it depends on the work.
I would go for the one requires the least amount of work.

On 24 Jun 2020, at 04:51, Jeff Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:

Are there any that you would prioritise, or just a top to bottom?
And are we assuming American or British English?

03 59 35 87 52
Assistant: Aurore Dalle
FAX 03 59 57 78 50
TEL 03 59 35 86 16
S. Ducasse - Inria
40, avenue Halley,
Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650
France

Re: Want to contribute.... it is easy

tbrunz
Thanks for the acknowledgement!  I think contributing to the documentation is
as important as contributing to the codebase.

I'm encouraged to see the increased activity with the booklets (new
publications as well as new edits) over the last 6 months.  A strong library
covering many topics will help with promoting Pharo to those who do not know
it (yet).

I plan to resume copy-editing soon (as my workload is starting to drop off
after a very busy period lately).

-t

Re: Want to contribute.... it is easy

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Stéphane Ducasse wrote
> Please consider reading the books and making Pull Requests on the github
> repositories.

Benefits of contributing to the book(let)s on GitHub:
1. Easy way to give back to community - even edit directly in GH web UI
2. Have an excuse to learn Pillar syntax (although for the most part you can
just ignore it if you're copy editing)
3. And the most important: Propel your Pharo learning! Copy editing forces
you to really think about what the author is trying to say. In order to
reword a passage, you have to *understand* it. So this is the antidote to
forgetting what you read the moment you are done, or worse - getting to the
end and realizing you have no idea WTH you just read :)

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean