Want to help write runtime ...

12

Re: Want to help write runtime ...

Lee Breisacher-2
ok, I'm ready to give it a try. Seems like I might as well start at
the top with Object.st. Some detail questions:
1. Formatting.  - two spaces at front of each line? and 2 spaces
indent for if's and such? - a space between the ^ and the object being
returned, e.g. "^ true" ? - always a period at the end of every line,
even the last one in a method? - spaces inside blocks, e.g. ifTrue:
[ 2 ] ?Or, should I not worry about formatting and assume we'll
eventually have a nice source formatter that we can/will run over
everything?
2. Order. - Do you care what order methods are within a file? Follow
the BB exactly, or alphabetical, or don't worry about it?
Lee

On Dec 14, 4:25 pm, jamesl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Redliners,
>
> The compiler is complete with all the things necessary to be a
> Smalltalk.
> Of course there may be a few bugs and edge cases to iron out.
>
> What we are looking for are people who would like to help implement
> the
> underlying Smalltalk Runtime. Some of this is already there (look
> under
> src/smalltalk/st/redline)
>
> If you are interested in helping then please contact this list, or if
> you want
> a more private conversation, object at redline_st
>
> Rgs, James.

Re: Want to help write runtime ...

Jeff Heon
On Dec 17, 4:21 am, "Steven! Ragnarök" <[hidden email]>
wrote:
> Thanks James, I got everything up and running and forked myself a copy
> to work in. I was more looking for an introduction to Smalltalk the
> language.. I'm a total n00b. :)

If you're looking for something a little more interactive than a book,
Pharo Smalltalks includes profstef.
A kind of interactive guided-tour of the language. Does not take too
long to go through and gives a great overview.

http://www.pharocasts.com/2010/01/learn-smalltalk-with-profstef.html

Re: Want to help write runtime ...

Stefan Krecher

or online with Amber Smalltalk:
http://amber-lang.net/learn.html

--
sent from my android-phone

wrote:
> Thanks James, I got everything up and running and forked myself a copy
> to work in. I was more looking for an introduction to Smalltalk the
> language.. I'm a total n00b. :)

If you're looking for something a little more interactive than a book,
Pharo Smalltalks includes profstef.
A kind of interactive guided-tour of the language. Does not take too
long to go through and gives a great overview.

http://www.pharocasts.com/2010/01/learn-smalltalk-with-profstef.html

Re: Want to help write runtime ...

James Ladd
If you want to do Object.st please fork the source and put your name against that class in
OBJECTS-AN-PROTOCOLS then make a pull request. Then we record your intention
and someone else wont get Object and step on your toes.

You can implement the methods in whatever order you choose.

The formatting you suggest should be ok, but please understand we may request a
re-format. Please copy across comments where it makes sense to do so, especially
method comments.

Please remember require tests for every method, we also require a contributors agreement
to be adhered to with a sign off before we can accept the code - see DEVELOPER-CERTIFICATE-OF-ORIGIN

I'll push sean/rob to finalise the code formatting conventions and
get back to you on them a.s.a.p

On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 12:19 PM, Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
ok, I'm ready to give it a try. Seems like I might as well start at
the top with Object.st. Some detail questions:
1. Formatting.  - two spaces at front of each line? and 2 spaces
indent for if's and such? - a space between the ^ and the object being
returned, e.g. "^ true" ? - always a period at the end of every line,
even the last one in a method? - spaces inside blocks, e.g. ifTrue:
[ 2 ] ?Or, should I not worry about formatting and assume we'll
eventually have a nice source formatter that we can/will run over
everything?
2. Order. - Do you care what order methods are within a file? Follow
the BB exactly, or alphabetical, or don't worry about it?
Lee

On Dec 14, 4:25 pm, jamesl <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Redliners,
>
> The compiler is complete with all the things necessary to be a
> Smalltalk.
> Of course there may be a few bugs and edge cases to iron out.
>
> What we are looking for are people who would like to help implement
> the
> underlying Smalltalk Runtime. Some of this is already there (look
> under
> src/smalltalk/st/redline)
>
> If you are interested in helping then please contact this list, or if
> you want
> a more private conversation, object at redline_st
>
> Rgs, James.

12