Ways to run Pier3 on a vServer

fritsche.markus
Hello,

I am running my interwebz experiments on a virtual server which doesn't have
an X11 stack.

What is the best way to run Pier on such a setup (my server is usually left
alone for weeks) for
- persistency of the image/ Pier kernel
- managing the image itself (is there a remote workspace)

The standard Seaside "screenshot"-Tool seems to be more of a last resort.

How do you manage your headless instances?

Regards
  Markus

Re: Ways to run Pier3 on a vServer

Lukas Renggli
I have multiple headless images that run Pier for 5+ years using:

- the standard image persistency
- the in-image RFB server
(http://book.seaside.st/book/advanced/deployment/maintaining/vnc)

This setup works very well with headless images and doesn't require
X11. If you need, you can easily manage the image from anywhere.

Lukas

On 15 June 2013 13:23, Markus Fritsche <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am running my interwebz experiments on a virtual server which doesn't have
> an X11 stack.
>
> What is the best way to run Pier on such a setup (my server is usually left
> alone for weeks) for
> - persistency of the image/ Pier kernel
> - managing the image itself (is there a remote workspace)
>
> The standard Seaside "screenshot"-Tool seems to be more of a last resort.
>
> How do you manage your headless instances?
>
> Regards
>   Markus

Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch