We are preparing to this year Google Summer of Code (GSoC)

We are preparing to this year Google Summer of Code (GSoC)

Janko Mivšek
Dear Smalltalkers,

I'd like to inform you that we are preparing an application to this year
Smalltalk Google Summer of Code under ESUG umbrella, as last year.

If accepted, Google will pay few stipendiums to students on our
Smalltalk projects. Please start thinking about ideas what projects
would be nice to have. Also start looking around for students. How to
approach the universitites near by you, do you know who to contact
there, etc. To see last year ideas and accepted/done projects, visit
last year http://gsoc2010.esug.org.

More on our already open special Smalltalk GSoC 2011 website:

        http://gsoc2011.esug.org

I'm specially inviting mentors of all past GSoCs to rejoin the mentors
mailing list, where we discuss all details about this year GSoC:

        http://groups.google.com/group/smalltalk-gsoc-mentors

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
Aida/Web
http://www.aidaweb.si

RE: We are preparing to this year Google Summer of Code (GSoC)

Dimitry Golubovsky
Hi,

I'm just thinking, could an Android port of Squeak/Pharo/Quis/whatever
be a good candidate for a GSOC project?

I do not mean it for myself to participate: I am not a student, and
had been a student long time ago ;) But if anyone is interested I
definitely will be happy to help.

Thanks.

--
Dimitry Golubovsky

Anywhere on the Web

RE: We are preparing to this year Google Summer of Code (GSoC)

Dmitry Matveev
Dimitry,

Squeak is already ported to Android but lacked hardware keyboard
support. Do not know about networking and other features.

Finishing a port would be a good project for GSoC, I think.

Dmitry

Dmitry Matveev wrote:

Squeak is already ported to Android but lacked hardware keyboard
support. Do not know about networking and other features.

Finishing a port would be a good project for GSoC, I think.

=================================

We had a long thread:

http://forum.world.st/Squeak-Pharo-Cuis-on-Android-td3333462.html

unfortunately it declined to the problems of running Closure VM on OLPC ;)

Anyway, I am working on the port currently, just because I nave a
practical need in a certain Smalltalk application running on a tablet.
I am doing quick and dirty experiments on integration with Android,
and just have no time to do a clean port. Besides, what was done in
the "parent" project used older version of VM and image.

What could be done for GSOC by someone interested:

 * using a more recent version of VM, generate C sources, see how
VMMaker needs to be modified to produce sources compatible with
android NDK (I have a feeling that whatever was initially made by
VMMaker underwent some manual modifications in the very beginning)

 * keeping VM-related tools in order, so such sources might be
regenerated for future versions of VM

 * create a minimal master image suitable for further installation of
actual apps into it

 * solving a problem of saving image on Android (disabled in the
current port) - or making a decision that saving image is not
feasible, but apps need to be able to save their state

 * better integration with activity lifecycle (unlike on Linux, an
activity can be killed by the kernel in many situations: see what can
be preserved for proper resumption)

 * usability (e. g. proper intent filter so one can download an image
from the internet, and invoke Squeak on it by tapping)

 * app wrapper to distribute prepared images with applications as apk files

etc, etc...

These are the problems I have identified do far in the course of my
development. There will be more ;)

But my goal is to get the application working, and I just don't have
time to take care of all the abovementioned unless it is absolutely
necessary for the application.

Someone focused on the port itself may allocate more time for this.

Thanks.

PS There was a problem with soft keyboard, but I solved it (one
remaining problem is handling of the DEL key in android's stock soft
keyboard, but it requires writing a custom input method subclass as I
was able to conclude).

--
Dimitry Golubovsky

Anywhere on the Web

Re: We are preparing to this year Google Summer of Code (GSoC)

Zhe-Xi Lim

I am thinking to implement a common search engine for Squeak IDE to facilitate smalltalk codes searching. I Noticed that the current message names search, class search, and the top search bar are not integrated into one powerful yet efficient search UI, it is necessary that someone comes out with the more powerful and useful "Google" to promote code re-usability in Squeak.

To take the initiative, I had already programmed an index builder to construct a comprehensive index, which contains details on every keyword in the Squeak image, its frequency of occurrence, and its position in the context. I do believe by indexing these keywords in advance, will enable a powerful yet efficient search engine to be implemented in Squeak, rather than the current brute-forced, search on demand techniques used.

I am a final year undergraduate student from Multimedia University, Malaysia and I am willing to spend my time to work on the search engine. I hope my ideas are useful to the smalltalk community, and am I eligible to participate in this time GSoC?

Thank you.

Regards,
Zhe-Xi

RE: We are preparing to this year Google Summer of Code (GSoC)

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Fri, 11 Mar 2011, Dimitry Golubovsky wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Dmitry Matveev wrote:
>
> Squeak is already ported to Android but lacked hardware keyboard
> support. Do not know about networking and other features.
>
> Finishing a port would be a good project for GSoC, I think.
>
> =================================
>
> We had a long thread:
>
> http://forum.world.st/Squeak-Pharo-Cuis-on-Android-td3333462.html
>
> unfortunately it declined to the problems of running Closure VM on OLPC ;)
>
> Anyway, I am working on the port currently, just because I nave a
> practical need in a certain Smalltalk application running on a tablet.
> I am doing quick and dirty experiments on integration with Android,
> and just have no time to do a clean port. Besides, what was done in
> the "parent" project used older version of VM and image.
>
> What could be done for GSOC by someone interested:
>
> * using a more recent version of VM, generate C sources, see how
> VMMaker needs to be modified to produce sources compatible with
> android NDK (I have a feeling that whatever was initially made by
> VMMaker underwent some manual modifications in the very beginning)

I doubt that. VMMaker generates platform independent C code. The platform
specific code has to be written/changed/ported to the NDK.

Levente

> * keeping VM-related tools in order, so such sources might be
> regenerated for future versions of VM
>
> * create a minimal master image suitable for further installation of
> actual apps into it
>
> * solving a problem of saving image on Android (disabled in the
> current port) - or making a decision that saving image is not
> feasible, but apps need to be able to save their state
>
> * better integration with activity lifecycle (unlike on Linux, an
> activity can be killed by the kernel in many situations: see what can
> be preserved for proper resumption)
>
> * usability (e. g. proper intent filter so one can download an image
> from the internet, and invoke Squeak on it by tapping)
>
> * app wrapper to distribute prepared images with applications as apk files
>
> etc, etc...
>
> These are the problems I have identified do far in the course of my
> development. There will be more ;)
>
> But my goal is to get the application working, and I just don't have
> time to take care of all the abovementioned unless it is absolutely
> necessary for the application.
>
> Someone focused on the port itself may allocate more time for this.
>
> Thanks.
>
> PS There was a problem with soft keyboard, but I solved it (one
> remaining problem is handling of the DEL key in android's stock soft
> keyboard, but it requires writing a custom input method subclass as I
> was able to conclude).
>
> --
> Dimitry Golubovsky
>
> Anywhere on the Web

RE: We are preparing to this year Google Summer of Code (GSoC)

tinchodias
Hello,

The idea in which I am interested is http://gsoc2010.esug.org/ideas#h-30, maybe with some minor changes.

I started to work on that last year in an internship and for my master thesis, but there is still a lot of work to do. The current state of the project is here: http://rmod.lille.inria.fr/web/pier/software/Fuel

Mariano Martinez Peck, Stéphane Ducasse (and maybe Colin Putney) could be interested as mentors.

Cheers,
Martin