We are preparing to this year Google Summer of Code (GSoC)

We are preparing to this year Google Summer of Code (GSoC)

Janko Mivšek
Dear Smalltalkers,

I'd like to inform you that we are preparing an application to this year
Smalltalk Google Summer of Code under ESUG umbrella, as last year.

If accepted, Google will pay few stipendiums to students on our
Smalltalk projects. Please start thinking about ideas what projects
would be nice to have. Also start looking around for students. How to
approach the universitites near by you, do you know who to contact
there, etc. To see last year ideas and accepted/done projects, visit
last year http://gsoc2010.esug.org.

More on our already open special Smalltalk GSoC 2011 website:

        http://gsoc2011.esug.org

I'm specially inviting mentors of all past GSoCs to rejoin the mentors
mailing list, where we discuss all details about this year GSoC:

        http://groups.google.com/group/smalltalk-gsoc-mentors

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
Aida/Web

Re: We are preparing to this year Google Summer of Code (GSoC)

Jan van de Sandt
Hello Janko,

An idea for a possible GSoC project: Develop a Smalltalk Query Server for CouchDB.

With a Smalltalk query server you can specify your queries in Smalltalk (blocks?) using the MapReduce pattern. CouchDB supports JavaScript and Erlang out of the box but CouchDB also offers a protocol to plugin other languages. [1]

Jan.

2011/3/9 Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]>
[...]

Thanks Jan for your idea.

I think such projects to interface other non-Smalltalk systems via
network protocols are very valuable and nice candidates for GSoC. They
are also not too hard for students to complete in few months available.

Also all things interfacing to the cloud are good candidates and because
you have quite some experience with the cloud, so I encourage you to
provide us with a list of interfaces we still need to develop. To
connect to Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Google, .. When we wil have a
list, it will be easier to prepare a list of projects and find potential
mentors ...

Best regards
Janko

--