We need *you* for the upcoming Pharo's website

We need *you* for the upcoming Pharo's website

Damien Cassou
Hi everyone,

we are working on a new website for Pharo! We need your help. If you
have some time, please create and send us one of the following items:

- An up-to-date screenshot of Pharo 3.0 that shows some cool features.
It should be 800px wide ;
- A screencast ;
- A paragraph (around 40 words) that presents a nice topic about Pharo
and a corresponding screenshot.

We will select 1 large screenshot, 3 screencasts and 4 topic paragraphs.

This could be a very nice way for you to contribute to Pharo!

Best,

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm."
Winston Churchill

Re: We need *you* for the upcoming Pharo's website

EstebanLM
please do not answer all at once! (subtle irony)
anyway, I have to add that screencast has to be Pharo3 based.

cheers,
Esteban

On 15 Apr 2014, at 13:03, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> we are working on a new website for Pharo! We need your help. If you
> have some time, please create and send us one of the following items:
>
> - An up-to-date screenshot of Pharo 3.0 that shows some cool features.
> It should be 800px wide ;
> - A screencast ;
> - A paragraph (around 40 words) that presents a nice topic about Pharo
> and a corresponding screenshot.
>
> We will select 1 large screenshot, 3 screencasts and 4 topic paragraphs.
>
> This could be a very nice way for you to contribute to Pharo!
>
> Best,
>
> --
> Damien Cassou
> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>
> "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without
> losing enthusiasm."
> Winston Churchill

Re: We need *you* for the upcoming Pharo's website

kilon.alios
I was thinking of creating a screencast to explain in a few minutes why I like Pharo, emphasizing on live coding , the image and the development environment. By coincidence I recorded a test tutorial yesterday (before noticing this announcement) for the very basics of pharo, just 15 minutes. So its definitely  something I am willing to do. Its just that will like to do several tries and possible edit it to make it as efficient and as simple as possible.

So If you are not in a hurry I can offer something.

On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 12:16 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
please do not answer all at once! (subtle irony)
anyway, I have to add that screencast has to be Pharo3 based.

cheers,
Esteban

On 15 Apr 2014, at 13:03, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> we are working on a new website for Pharo! We need your help. If you
> have some time, please create and send us one of the following items:
>
> - An up-to-date screenshot of Pharo 3.0 that shows some cool features.
> It should be 800px wide ;
> - A screencast ;
> - A paragraph (around 40 words) that presents a nice topic about Pharo
> and a corresponding screenshot.
>
> We will select 1 large screenshot, 3 screencasts and 4 topic paragraphs.
>
> This could be a very nice way for you to contribute to Pharo!
>
> Best,
>
> --
> Damien Cassou
> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>
> "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without
> losing enthusiasm."
> Winston Churchill

Re: We need *you* for the upcoming Pharo's website

Esteban A. Maringolo
Sorry but I don't fully understand the request.

You want screenshots of Pharo or about the things we build with Pharo?

Esteban A. Maringolo

> please do not answer all at once! (subtle irony)
> anyway, I have to add that screencast has to be Pharo3 based.
>
> cheers,
> Esteban
>
> On 15 Apr 2014, at 13:03, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> we are working on a new website for Pharo! We need your help. If you
>> have some time, please create and send us one of the following items:
>>
>> - An up-to-date screenshot of Pharo 3.0 that shows some cool features.
>> It should be 800px wide ;
>> - A screencast ;
>> - A paragraph (around 40 words) that presents a nice topic about Pharo
>> and a corresponding screenshot.
>>
>> We will select 1 large screenshot, 3 screencasts and 4 topic paragraphs.
>>
>> This could be a very nice way for you to contribute to Pharo!
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> --
>> Damien Cassou
>> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>>
>> "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without
>> losing enthusiasm."
>> Winston Churchill

Re: We need *you* for the upcoming Pharo's website

EstebanLM
for this specific request, is images *of pharo* (because is for the home page)… but we welcome also screenshots of cool things made with pharo, to prepare a showcase :)

Esteban

On 17 Apr 2014, at 02:45, Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sorry but I don't fully understand the request.
>
> You want screenshots of Pharo or about the things we build with Pharo?
>

> Esteban A. Maringolo

>> please do not answer all at once! (subtle irony)
>> anyway, I have to add that screencast has to be Pharo3 based.
>>
>> cheers,
>> Esteban
>>
>> On 15 Apr 2014, at 13:03, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> we are working on a new website for Pharo! We need your help. If you
>>> have some time, please create and send us one of the following items:
>>>
>>> - An up-to-date screenshot of Pharo 3.0 that shows some cool features.
>>> It should be 800px wide ;
>>> - A screencast ;
>>> - A paragraph (around 40 words) that presents a nice topic about Pharo
>>> and a corresponding screenshot.
>>>
>>> We will select 1 large screenshot, 3 screencasts and 4 topic paragraphs.
>>>
>>> This could be a very nice way for you to contribute to Pharo!
>>>
>>> Best,
>>>
>>> --
>>> Damien Cassou
>>> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>>>
>>> "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without
>>> losing enthusiasm."
>>> Winston Churchill

Re: We need *you* for the upcoming Pharo's website

Damien Cassou
Hi Kilon,

On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 6:44 PM, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I was thinking of creating a screencast to explain in a few minutes why I
> like Pharo, emphasizing on live coding , the image and the development
> environment. By coincidence I recorded a test tutorial yesterday (before
> noticing this announcement) for the very basics of pharo, just 15 minutes.
> So its definitely  something I am willing to do. Its just that will like to
> do several tries and possible edit it to make it as efficient and as simple
> as possible.
>
> So If you are not in a hurry I can offer something.

that would be really great. We want to release the new website in the
coming 2/3 weeks, do you think you could make it? Maybe you could do
short ones that show a specific feature or two each? That would make
integration into the website easier. As an example, the ones of
babymock are great: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPbItfNc5WY

Thanks

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm."
Winston Churchill

Re: We need *you* for the upcoming Pharo's website

pharo4Stef@free.fr
please use nice looking font and large ones and go ahead :)

On 4/17/14, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Kilon,
>
> On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 6:44 PM, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I was thinking of creating a screencast to explain in a few minutes why I
>> like Pharo, emphasizing on live coding , the image and the development
>> environment. By coincidence I recorded a test tutorial yesterday (before
>> noticing this announcement) for the very basics of pharo, just 15
>> minutes.
>> So its definitely  something I am willing to do. Its just that will like
>> do several tries and possible edit it to make it as efficient and as
>> simple
>> as possible.
>>
>> So If you are not in a hurry I can offer something.
>

> that would be really great. We want to release the new website in the
> coming 2/3 weeks, do you think you could make it? Maybe you could do
> short ones that show a specific feature or two each? That would make
> integration into the website easier. As an example, the ones of
> babymock are great: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPbItfNc5WY
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Damien Cassou
> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>
> "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without
> losing enthusiasm."
> Winston Churchill

I am still on vacations and the internet is very slow here. I will be
able to upload something by the end of this weekend. My idea is to
illustrate 6 points in 6-10 minutes that to my opinion make Pharo a
very useful and fun choice.

1) Livecoding
2) The IDE
3) Image
4) FFIs (Nativeboost / Amber etc)
5) Community
6) The language

On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 10:40 PM, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am still on vacations and the internet is very slow here. I will be
> able to upload something by the end of this weekend. My idea is to
> illustrate 6 points in 6-10 minutes that to my opinion make Pharo a
> very useful and fun choice.

please do. Even if you are late, we will evaluate your screencast and
maybe replace one that is already there. Or put it in a dedicated
section somewhere else. We desperately need good screencasts.

Thanks for the offer

Winston Churchill

Re: We need *you* for the upcoming Pharo's website

kilon.alios
Well I tried, several times , but I am not happy with the end result. In any case I am finished with this and since I promised to upload it here it is

Sorry I cannot deliver something of better quality but thats the best I can do. If you don't like it, I wont blame you :D

On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 3:14 PM, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 10:40 PM, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am still on vacations and the internet is very slow here. I will be
> able to upload something by the end of this weekend. My idea is to
> illustrate 6 points in 6-10 minutes that to my opinion make Pharo a
> very useful and fun choice.

please do. Even if you are late, we will evaluate your screencast and
maybe replace one that is already there. Or put it in a dedicated
section somewhere else. We desperately need good screencasts.

Thanks for the offer

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm."
Winston Churchill

Re: We need *you* for the upcoming Pharo's website

EstebanLM
Hi,

I really like it as an introduction of what pharo can do :)

thanks!
Esteban

On 23 Apr 2014, at 21:32, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:

Well I tried, several times , but I am not happy with the end result. In any case I am finished with this and since I promised to upload it here it is

Sorry I cannot deliver something of better quality but thats the best I can do. If you don't like it, I wont blame you :D

On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 3:14 PM, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 10:40 PM, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am still on vacations and the internet is very slow here. I will be
> able to upload something by the end of this weekend. My idea is to
> illustrate 6 points in 6-10 minutes that to my opinion make Pharo a
> very useful and fun choice.

please do. Even if you are late, we will evaluate your screencast and
maybe replace one that is already there. Or put it in a dedicated
section somewhere else. We desperately need good screencasts.

Thanks for the offer

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm."
Winston Churchill

Re: We need *you* for the upcoming Pharo's website

kilon.alios
Thank Esteban, when even a few people appreciate my effort it motivates me to keep trying.

My goal indeed was to introduce Pharo without going into depth to people that are not experienced coders or not coders at all. I am now considering doing a screencast explaining the basics of Pharo language with introduction to IDE as well. Basic stuff, like how the language works, Object orientation, Browser , Deubuger, Inspector etc.

If I see interest I will do it, if not, so be it.

I can even see myself do screencasts about, Morphic, Spec, Roassal, Athens, Nativeboost and much more. But again it depends on how useful people find my screencasts cause this experience is very new to me and I know I am no pro on this department.

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 11:40 AM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I really like it as an introduction of what pharo can do :)

thanks!
Esteban

On 23 Apr 2014, at 21:32, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:

Well I tried, several times , but I am not happy with the end result. In any case I am finished with this and since I promised to upload it here it is

Sorry I cannot deliver something of better quality but thats the best I can do. If you don't like it, I wont blame you :D

On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 3:14 PM, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 10:40 PM, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am still on vacations and the internet is very slow here. I will be
> able to upload something by the end of this weekend. My idea is to
> illustrate 6 points in 6-10 minutes that to my opinion make Pharo a
> very useful and fun choice.

please do. Even if you are late, we will evaluate your screencast and
maybe replace one that is already there. Or put it in a dedicated
section somewhere else. We desperately need good screencasts.

Thanks for the offer

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm."
Winston Churchill

Re: We need *you* for the upcoming Pharo's website

NorbertHartl

Am 24.04.2014 um 13:20 schrieb kilon alios <[hidden email]>:

Thank Esteban, when even a few people appreciate my effort it motivates me to keep trying.

I wouldn’t expect it to be very few. Not repsonding is not equal to not appreciating! Even if it feels like nobody cares this is nearly never the case!

Norbert

Re: We need *you* for the upcoming Pharo's website

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
NorbertHartl wrote
I wouldn’t expect it to be very few. Not repsonding is not equal to not appreciating! Even if it feels like nobody cares this is nearly never the case!
+1. Very nice screencast. I was at work and couldn't watch until today.
Cheers,
Sean

Re: We need *you* for the upcoming Pharo's website

Esteban A. Maringolo
Kilon:

As a general rule of thumb I'd prefer videos in smaller chunks or
coordinated by a slideshow. Longer videos are always queued in the
"watch later" playlist, which in my case have almost 10 hours of
things to watch :D

And if you feel willing to do more videos, do them!
I don't like "screencasts by committee" (nor anything by committee),
so the more the better, most of the times you can't measure beforehand
the usefulness of these kind of things.

Regards!

Esteban A. Maringolo

> Thank Esteban, when even a few people appreciate my effort it motivates me
> to keep trying.
>
> My goal indeed was to introduce Pharo without going into depth to people
> that are not experienced coders or not coders at all. I am now considering
> doing a screencast explaining the basics of Pharo language with introduction
> to IDE as well. Basic stuff, like how the language works, Object
> orientation, Browser , Deubuger, Inspector etc.
>
> If I see interest I will do it, if not, so be it.
>
> I can even see myself do screencasts about, Morphic, Spec, Roassal, Athens,
> Nativeboost and much more. But again it depends on how useful people find my
> screencasts cause this experience is very new to me and I know I am no pro
> on this department.
>

> On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 11:40 AM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I really like it as an introduction of what pharo can do :)
>>
>> thanks!
>> Esteban
>>
>> On 23 Apr 2014, at 21:32, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Well I tried, several times , but I am not happy with the end result. In
>> any case I am finished with this and since I promised to upload it here it
>> is
>>

>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol5ivaEATLQ
>>
>> Sorry I cannot deliver something of better quality but thats the best I
>> can do. If you don't like it, I wont blame you :D
>>

>> On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 3:14 PM, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:

>>> please do. Even if you are late, we will evaluate your screencast and
>>> maybe replace one that is already there. Or put it in a dedicated
>>> section somewhere else. We desperately need good screencasts.
>>>
>>> Thanks for the offer
>>>
>>> --
>>> Damien Cassou
>>> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>>>
>>> "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without
>>> losing enthusiasm."
>>> Winston Churchill

Re: We need *you* for the upcoming Pharo's website

kilon.alios
Thank you, I am glad you guys enjoyed it.

This is my first screencast on Pharo so I was not so sure about myself.

Esteban I agree, though I would like to target newcomers to Pharo than experienced Pharo coders. I will try to cut down my videos to smaller sections, or I will offer a table of contents and maybe some easy navigation so you dont have to watch 1 hour video if you dont want to to get to the feature that interests you. I will have to investigate an efficient way to do this.

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 9:32 PM, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Well I tried, several times , but I am not happy with the end result. In any
> case I am finished with this and since I promised to upload it here it is
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol5ivaEATLQ

I love it, really. It shows plenty of useful stuff. You English is
clear to me even if I'm no native speaker so that's a great bonus.

Marcus, can we add that to the Pharo channel on youtube?

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm."
Winston Churchill

Re: We need *you* for the upcoming Pharo's website

Marcus Denker-4

On 25 Apr 2014, at 10:35, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi kilon,
>
> On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 9:32 PM, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Well I tried, several times , but I am not happy with the end result. In any
>> case I am finished with this and since I promised to upload it here it is
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol5ivaEATLQ
>

> I love it, really. It shows plenty of useful stuff. You English is
> clear to me even if I'm no native speaker so that's a great bonus.
>
> Marcus, can we add that to the Pharo channel on youtube?

I added it to the Pharo3 playlist:

        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp3mNigANqkesFzdm058bvw

Re: We need *you* for the upcoming Pharo's website

kilon.alios
Thank you Damien and Marcus . I was worried about my English, I am glad you find it easy to understand.

Just added "How to install Pharo", following the suggestion of Esteban tried to keep it short so its 4 minutes. More are coming, I think I can do a 4 minute video per day. I have created my own playlist for teaching Pharo and I will create separate playing lists for Pharo Libraries each one in its own playlist. For now my focus is on Pharo basics (language and Ide ), then I will do libraries, Athens - Nativeboost - Roassal - Spec and so on.

How to Install Pharo

Pharo Video Tutorial ( Playlist )