We should run + fix the tests in 1.1

Stéphane Ducasse

... testserver, where are you?

Re: We should run + fix the tests in 1.1

Yanni Chiu
Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
> ... testserver, where are you?

I have:

     http://hudson.jooshr.org/job/Pharo1.1/

which builds once a day. There are other builds on the site. I only use
the Pharo1.0-Seaside3.0 configuration. The others were set up when I was
trying to decide what to base my development on.

The builds often break (Pharo 1.1 and Seaside 3.0), which is to be
expected. Usually the problem is some dialog pops up waiting for a user
response. It often takes me a few days before I get around to fixing
these build problems. Anyhow, it's there for the moment, if people want
to use the results.

--
Yanni

Re: We should run + fix the tests in 1.1

Stéphane Ducasse
cool!

Stef

On Feb 25, 2010, at 4:27 PM, Yanni Chiu wrote:

> Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>> ... testserver, where are you?
>
> I have:
>
>     http://hudson.jooshr.org/job/Pharo1.1/
>
> which builds once a day. There are other builds on the site. I only use
> the Pharo1.0-Seaside3.0 configuration. The others were set up when I was
> trying to decide what to base my development on.
>
> The builds often break (Pharo 1.1 and Seaside 3.0), which is to be
> expected. Usually the problem is some dialog pops up waiting for a user
> response. It often takes me a few days before I get around to fixing
> these build problems. Anyhow, it's there for the moment, if people want
> to use the results.
>
> --
> Yanni

Re: We should run + fix the tests in 1.1

Marcus Denker-4

On Feb 25, 2010, at 4:27 PM, Yanni Chiu wrote:

> Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>> ... testserver, where are you?
>
> I have:
>
>     http://hudson.jooshr.org/job/Pharo1.1/
>
> which builds once a day.

cool! I added it to my RSS reader.

        Marcus

--
Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

Re: We should run + fix the tests in 1.1

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 4:27 PM, Yanni Chiu <[hidden email]> wrote:
Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
> ... testserver, where are you?

I have:

    http://hudson.jooshr.org/job/Pharo1.1/

which builds once a day. There are other builds on the site. I only use
the Pharo1.0-Seaside3.0 configuration. The others were set up when I was
trying to decide what to base my development on.

The builds often break (Pharo 1.1 and Seaside 3.0), which is to be
expected. Usually the problem is some dialog pops up waiting for a user
response.

I thought we killed all those tests that brings a popup and wait for a user response.

Yanni can you tell us which are those tests ?

Thanks

Mariano

Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
> I thought we killed all those tests that brings a popup and wait for a
> user response.
>
> Yanni can you tell us which are those tests ?

There are some tests that I filtered out, and don't run, because they
stopped the build. That was a few weeks ago. You can see which ones, by
looking at:
        http://hudson.jooshr.org/job/Pharo1.1/ws/core11-tests/core11-tests.st/*view*/

where you'll find:

HDTestReport
   runClasses: (
     TestCase withAllSubclasses reject: [:cls |
       ((cls category asString beginsWith: 'Tests-Traits')
         or: [cls name = 'ImageSegmentTestExport'])
         or: [cls name = 'MCPackageTest']
     ]
   )
   named: 'AllTestCases'

At some point, I'll run these disabled tests to see how they're behaving
now.

The latest problem, from a few days ago, was that Object>>displayExtent
was deprecated (maybe it wasn't called displayExtent, but something like
that). I eventually added:

     Preferences disable: #raiseDeprecatedWarnings.

so the build would continue in a headless image.

Prior to that, the Author name was no longer automatically set for
SUnit. That was solved with:

     Author fullName: 'builder'.

And before that, some updates caused a dialog to pop up (maybe it was
the deprecation dialog, I can't remember). That was solved with:

     [Utilities updateFromServer] valueSuppressingAllMessages

It seems that something always happens. Just have to fix them as they
come along, or hope that everyone runs a headless build and sees the
problem and fixes it right away.

--
Yanni

Re: We should run + fix the tests in 1.1

Stéphane Ducasse
Thanks Yanni
Thanks Thanks Thanks Thanks
This is important that we streamlined the process and fix everything until it works smootly.
Your help and feedback are really cool and important

Stef

On Feb 26, 2010, at 5:42 PM, Yanni Chiu wrote:

> Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>> I thought we killed all those tests that brings a popup and wait for a
>> user response.
>>
>> Yanni can you tell us which are those tests ?
>
> There are some tests that I filtered out, and don't run, because they
> stopped the build. That was a few weeks ago. You can see which ones, by
> looking at:
> http://hudson.jooshr.org/job/Pharo1.1/ws/core11-tests/core11-tests.st/*view*/
>
> where you'll find:
>
> HDTestReport
>   runClasses: (
>     TestCase withAllSubclasses reject: [:cls |
>       ((cls category asString beginsWith: 'Tests-Traits')
>         or: [cls name = 'ImageSegmentTestExport'])
>         or: [cls name = 'MCPackageTest']
>     ]
>   )
>   named: 'AllTestCases'
>
> At some point, I'll run these disabled tests to see how they're behaving
> now.
>
> The latest problem, from a few days ago, was that Object>>displayExtent
> was deprecated (maybe it wasn't called displayExtent, but something like
> that). I eventually added:
>
>     Preferences disable: #raiseDeprecatedWarnings.
>
> so the build would continue in a headless image.
>
> Prior to that, the Author name was no longer automatically set for
> SUnit. That was solved with:
>
>     Author fullName: 'builder'.
>
> And before that, some updates caused a dialog to pop up (maybe it was
> the deprecation dialog, I can't remember). That was solved with:
>
>     [Utilities updateFromServer] valueSuppressingAllMessages
>
> It seems that something always happens. Just have to fix them as they
> come along, or hope that everyone runs a headless build and sees the
> problem and fixes it right away.
>
> --
> Yanni

Re: We should run + fix the tests in 1.1

Michael Roberts-2
my experience is similar to Yanni, in that I found a series of
updates, every so often, would break the build.  it became a pain to
keep on checking and fixing things.  So i am spending my time on
trying to script some sanity checks and logic for common errors. Given
the pace of updates, whilst human intervention is the simple solution,
i don't think it is great.  One gets behind very quickly.

Also, how many developers regularly look at the test result pages (the
first version on the wiki, the gforge /experimental, yanni's hudson
setup) for the core image and act on the implied bugs in the update?
i.e comment on the issue tracker related to the specific update just
published

I think we need to email the delta of each test run to this mailing
list as soon as it is run.

thanks,
Mike

On Feb 26, 2010, at 9:55 PM, Michael Roberts wrote:

> my experience is similar to Yanni, in that I found a series of
> updates, every so often, would break the build.  it became a pain to
> keep on checking and fixing things.  So i am spending my time on
> trying to script some sanity checks and logic for common errors. Given
> the pace of updates, whilst human intervention is the simple solution,
> i don't think it is great.  One gets behind very quickly.
>
> Also, how many developers regularly look at the test result pages (the
> first version on the wiki, the gforge /experimental, yanni's hudson
> setup) for the core image and act on the implied bugs in the update?
> i.e comment on the issue tracker related to the specific update just
> published
>
> I think we need to email the delta of each test run to this mailing
> list as soon as it is run.

Yes
I think that we should streamlined our process
        - fast running tests
        - faster tests
        -> we should have a look at the changes adrian kuhn sent
        - run and fix more often.

Stef