Web Components

BrunoBB
Janko,

I have developed two components for Aida. In the next week I will
refactorize these elements to make a package a send it here. I do not know
if I follow the right process to add a component to Aida, in next days I
call for help to refactorize. At the moment it just works.

Screen Shots (tested on IE 6.0 and FireFox 2.0):

Menu Expand/Collapse

Enhanced Table (show/hide behavior)

Regards Bruno

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
14:18

Web Components

giorgiof
Hi, Bruno,

The table  looks very nice!

ciao

Giorgio

On 6/21/07, Bruno Buzzi Brassesco <smalltalk at adinet.com.uy> wrote:

>  Janko,
>

> I have developed two components for Aida. In the next week I will
> refactorize these elements to make a package a send it here. I do not know
> if I follow the right process to add a component to Aida, in next days I
> call for help to refactorize. At the moment it just works.
>

> Screen Shots (tested on IE 6.0 and FireFox 2.0):
>

> Menu Expand/Collapse
>

> Enhanced Table (show/hide behavior)
>

> Regards Bruno

> Checked by AVG Free Edition.
> 14:18

Web Components

Janko Mivšek
Bruno,

That's just perfect! I hardly wait for you to publish this package. And
I'm already thinking to open a speciall section on Aida website,
something like Add-ons, Extensions, CSS themes/skins etc.

What would be the best name for that page and what for subsections?

        Add-ons ?
        - Components
        - Extensions (what kind?)
        - Themes or skins?
        - what else?

Best regards
JAnko

--
Janko Miv?ek
AIDA/Web
http://www.aidaweb.si

Web Components

BrunoBB
Janko,

I vote for "Components".

I will publish all components here (in "components" or whatever name), after
make a package because now is quick and dirty (as I said it just works).

In the weekend I will try to port Aida 5.4 to Dolphin and of course make
more components.

Regards Bruno

That's just perfect! I hardly wait for you to publish this package. And
I'm already thinking to open a speciall section on Aida website,
something like Add-ons, Extensions, CSS themes/skins etc.

What would be the best name for that page and what for subsections?

        Add-ons ?
        - Components
        - Extensions (what kind?)
        - Themes or skins?
        - what else?

Best regards
JAnko

Bruno Buzzi Brassesco wrote:

> I have developed two components for Aida. In the next week I will
> refactorize these elements to make a package a send it here. I do not
> know if I follow the right process to add a component to Aida, in next
> days I call for help to refactorize. At the moment it just works.

--
Janko Miv?ek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
13:46

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
17:53

Web Components

Stefan Schmiedl
On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 19:51:38 +0200
Janko Miv?ek <janko.mivsek at eranova.si> wrote:

> Bruno,
>
> That's just perfect! I hardly wait for you to publish this package.
> And I'm already thinking to open a speciall section on Aida website,
> something like Add-ons, Extensions, CSS themes/skins etc.
>
> What would be the best name for that page and what for subsections?
>
> Add-ons ?
> - Components
> - Extensions (what kind?)
> - Themes or skins?
> - what else?

The best name for "that" page would be right what you have there:
5 pages

   Add-Ons

      AIDA can be easily extended bla bla bla...

      Components
      Components are "high-level" buildings blocks you can put on
      your web pages like ...

      Extensions
      Extensions enhance AIDA's functionality by improving the framework
      "behind the curtain"

      Themes or Skins
      Themes are purely visual candy

      Just stuff
      A grab bag full of snippets which do not (yet) fit into the other
      categories

   Components

      List of user supplied/supported components
      - name
      - purpose
      - short code snippet with small screenshot
      - AIDA versions, where it has been tested

   Extensions

      List of user supplied/supported extension
      - name
      - purpose
      - short code snippet of extension in use
      - AIDA versions, where it has been tested

   Themes

      List of user supplied/supported themes
      - name
      - one-line description
      - screen shot with a few distinctive elements
      - AIDA versions, where it has been tested

   Just stuff

      Contents of the grab bag
      - purpose of item
      - date of submission
      - AIDA version

s.

Web Components

Janko Mivšek
Hi Stefan,

I think your proposition is really good for start. I would just open one
new tab with all three or four kinds of add-ons listed, for now. This
will be just an usual wiki page but later we can make more advanced web
app for maintaining add-ons.

Few more questions raised in my head:

- Distinction between components and extensions? Components are visual
parts of web page, while extensions extents functionality of Aida? Are
extensions also reusable web apps like Discussions in Aida-Parts? Also,
a name extensions clashes with category Aida-Extensions, which is
mandatory in Squeak.

Any better name? Parts? Just Apps?

- Packaging of add-ons for different dialects

- there will be a maintainer of add-on, what about porting it to
different dialects? Who will be responsible for that? Isn't it very
important to port any such add-on to as many dialects as possible?

- where to store Add-on packages? On aidaweb site? On public
repositories, on both?

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Miv?ek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Web Components

Janko Mivšek
Bruno,

It seems that the web page will be just ready when you'll prepare your
components. How will you name them? Expandable menu or something for
first, Expandable table row for second?

Best regards
Janko

Bruno Buzzi Brassesco wrote:

> Janko,
>
> I vote for "Components".
>
> I will publish all components here (in "components" or whatever name), after
> make a package because now is quick and dirty (as I said it just works).
>
> In the weekend I will try to port Aida 5.4 to Dolphin and of course make
> more components.
>
> Regards Bruno

http://www.aidaweb.si

Web Components

Stefan Schmiedl
On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 10:00:42 +0200
Janko Miv?ek <janko.mivsek at eranova.si> wrote:

> - Distinction between components and extensions? Components are
> visual parts of web page, while extensions extents functionality of
> Aida?

I'm not quite sure about this distinction myself, so I'll try to
explain the difference:

A Component is something that I can use as building block without much
worrying about details, like visual components in, say, Delphi or
whatever. It's something "local", IMO, for both developer and user (if
the component is really visible).

An extension to AIDA would be something more pervasive and behind the
curtains.

Imagine a LoginComponent, you can put it right smack in the middle of
your front page and leave it to the implementation to provide input
boxes. You could pass it a block for validating the authentication
data, and it's a nice, closed, reusable Component.

Now, tweaking AIDA to grant access to the current user would be an
extension, if it were not already built in. Or make AIDA aware of
individual access rights for users and groups. That would be an
extension, too.

Can you completely excise these functions with a few mouse clicks from
AIDA? I'd guess that it's not trivial, they're woven into things fairly
tight.

Things like these I'd like to keep separate from the "easy" stuff that
Components usually are. Components would also be easy to keep in sync
with new AIDA releases, as they would probably use only a tiny portion
of the API. Extensions might break more easily. They are things that
I'd want/need to directly add to AIDA classes for seamless integration.

Like, one thing that came up in a recent IOWA project: The client
wanted an AutoLogout feature, as some client machines are in publicly
accessible places. Easily solved via redirect to login page. The time
interval was required to be set individually for each user, however.
IOWA does not have builtin users, so I only needed to adjust my own
classes.

AIDA already has the notion of users, so I'd like to extend those to
store their individual session durations until autologout. How would
you do this in AIDA?

> Are extensions also reusable web apps like Discussions in
> Aida-Parts?

Part == large Component, built from smaller Components.
I want a Discussion Forum? I plug in the respective Part.

> Also, a name extensions clashes with category
> Aida-Extensions, which is mandatory in Squeak.

Those are Extensions to Squeak, required by AIDA, I guess?

> Any better name? Parts? Just Apps?
>

> - Packaging of add-ons for different dialects
>
> - there will be a maintainer of add-on, what about porting it to
> different dialects? Who will be responsible for that? Isn't it very
> important to port any such add-on to as many dialects as possible?

Definitely. We'd need a matrix of people ... package maintainer and
port maintainers.

> - where to store Add-on packages? On aidaweb site? On public
> repositories, on both?

There should be one central place where such things are available. If a
package or additional examples or better docs are available at external
sites, the better for the users. But there should be a *minimum* of
information at a place that's guaranteed to be accessible for a long
time.

Dang, another long mail.

s.

Web Components

BrunoBB
Janko,

Expandable menu and Expandable table is ok to me.

15:04