Web alternative

Herby Vojčík
Hello!

I plan to make alternative package to existing Web package, with a but
different, slimmer, more streamlined design, and built only on a few
selected DOM calls known to work everywhere where Amber wants to work
(all mobiles cca Android 2.2+, iOS4+, all desktops of last cca 5 years,
IE8+), like createElement, createElementFragment, insertBefore,
nextSibling, prevSibling, querySelector(All), hasAttribute,
getAttribute, setAttribute; trying to keep used API to a minimum, to be
as compatible as rationally available.

The main design change would be eschewing HTMLCanvas + TagBrush, putting
everything in one class (HTMLStream, maybe) and having tag generation
completely dynamic, via dnu; also, creating canvas/tagbrush now directly
is harder, the aim here would be on easy creating of them (a la
`HTMLStream new render: [ :html | html P: 'Hello, world ]` adding it to
the <body> or whenever cursor is now when used inside processing - using
uppercased message to distinguish tags from other messages),
and removing Widget class completely (anything that respondsTo:
#renderOn: is a Widget).

Are there some people who would want to be the 'pilot customers' and try
to use it to build something (ideally what they already tried to v build
with existing Web package), so I can hear the feedback on how it is
usable compared to the existing one?

Herby

Re: Web alternative

Hannes Hirzel
Yes I am interested ....

Hannes

On 2/14/15, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I plan to make alternative package to existing Web package, with a but
> different, slimmer, more streamlined design, and built only on a few
> selected DOM calls known to work everywhere where Amber wants to work
> (all mobiles cca Android 2.2+, iOS4+, all desktops of last cca 5 years,
> IE8+), like createElement, createElementFragment, insertBefore,
> nextSibling, prevSibling, querySelector(All), hasAttribute,
> getAttribute, setAttribute; trying to keep used API to a minimum, to be
> as compatible as rationally available.
>
> The main design change would be eschewing HTMLCanvas + TagBrush, putting
> everything in one class (HTMLStream, maybe) and having tag generation
> completely dynamic, via dnu; also, creating canvas/tagbrush now directly
> is harder, the aim here would be on easy creating of them (a la
> `HTMLStream new render: [ :html | html P: 'Hello, world ]` adding it to
> the <body> or whenever cursor is now when used inside processing - using
> uppercased message to distinguish tags from other messages),
> and removing Widget class completely (anything that respondsTo:
> #renderOn: is a Widget).
>
> Are there some people who would want to be the 'pilot customers' and try
> to use it to build something (ideally what they already tried to v build
> with existing Web package), so I can hear the feedback on how it is
> usable compared to the existing one?
>
> Herby

Re: Web alternative

Herby Vojčík

H. Hirzel wrote:
> Yes I am interested ....

Hi!

Not ready yet, at all. But to those interested, I created a library with
a very thin wrapper around basic DOM functionality, around which this
new Web alternative will be built (probably subclassing the Domite
class). It is capable of basic things, though it has not the fancy
Seaside-like API and still lacks support for events or querySelector.

That thing is at amber-smalltalk/domite repo and present in bower as
domite. I will probably try to move trapped to stop use HTMLCanvas and
use the raw Domite instead.

Interesting thing is, this system may not need renderOn: [ :param | ...
] at all, because it can use to make detached fragment of HTML content
easy with `content := Domite open. content ...` and insert this content
likewise easily with `placeToInsert insertDomite: content`. No need to
pass that param, but this is still the question if to pass it (it makes
things harder a bit) or just take a content from it.

> Hannes

Herby

> On 2/14/15, Herby Vojčík<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> I plan to make alternative package to existing Web package, with a but
>> different, slimmer, more streamlined design, and built only on a few
>> selected DOM calls known to work everywhere where Amber wants to work
>> (all mobiles cca Android 2.2+, iOS4+, all desktops of last cca 5 years,
>> IE8+), like createElement, createElementFragment, insertBefore,
>> nextSibling, prevSibling, querySelector(All), hasAttribute,
>> getAttribute, setAttribute; trying to keep used API to a minimum, to be
>> as compatible as rationally available.
>>
>> The main design change would be eschewing HTMLCanvas + TagBrush, putting
>> everything in one class (HTMLStream, maybe) and having tag generation
>> completely dynamic, via dnu; also, creating canvas/tagbrush now directly
>> is harder, the aim here would be on easy creating of them (a la
>> `HTMLStream new render: [ :html | html P: 'Hello, world ]` adding it to
>> the<body>  or whenever cursor is now when used inside processing - using
>> uppercased message to distinguish tags from other messages),
>> and removing Widget class completely (anything that respondsTo:
>> #renderOn: is a Widget).
>>
>> Are there some people who would want to be the 'pilot customers' and try
>> to use it to build something (ideally what they already tried to v build
>> with existing Web package), so I can hear the feedback on how it is
>> usable compared to the existing one?
>>
>> Herby

Re: Web alternative

Hannes Hirzel
Thank you Herby, this lightweight solution is useful for me.

I have added an issue about creating a test case
https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/domite/issues/1

On 2/20/15, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:

> H. Hirzel wrote:
>> Yes I am interested ....
>
> Hi!
>
> Not ready yet, at all. But to those interested, I created a library with
> a very thin wrapper around basic DOM functionality, around which this
> new Web alternative will be built (probably subclassing the Domite
> class). It is capable of basic things, though it has not the fancy
> Seaside-like API and still lacks support for events or querySelector.
>
> That thing is at amber-smalltalk/domite repo and present in bower as
> domite. I will probably try to move trapped to stop use HTMLCanvas and
> use the raw Domite instead.
>
> Interesting thing is, this system may not need renderOn: [ :param | ...
> ] at all, because it can use to make detached fragment of HTML content
> easy with `content := Domite open. content ...` and insert this content
> likewise easily with `placeToInsert insertDomite: content`. No need to
> pass that param, but this is still the question if to pass it (it makes
> things harder a bit) or just take a content from it.
>
>> Hannes
>
> Herby
>
>> On 2/14/15, Herby Vojčík<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>> Hello!
>>>
>>> I plan to make alternative package to existing Web package, with a but
>>> different, slimmer, more streamlined design, and built only on a few
>>> selected DOM calls known to work everywhere where Amber wants to work
>>> (all mobiles cca Android 2.2+, iOS4+, all desktops of last cca 5 years,
>>> IE8+), like createElement, createElementFragment, insertBefore,
>>> nextSibling, prevSibling, querySelector(All), hasAttribute,
>>> getAttribute, setAttribute; trying to keep used API to a minimum, to be
>>> as compatible as rationally available.
>>>
>>> The main design change would be eschewing HTMLCanvas + TagBrush, putting
>>> everything in one class (HTMLStream, maybe) and having tag generation
>>> completely dynamic, via dnu; also, creating canvas/tagbrush now directly
>>> is harder, the aim here would be on easy creating of them (a la
>>> `HTMLStream new render: [ :html | html P: 'Hello, world ]` adding it to
>>> the<body>  or whenever cursor is now when used inside processing - using
>>> uppercased message to distinguish tags from other messages),
>>> and removing Widget class completely (anything that respondsTo:
>>> #renderOn: is a Widget).
>>>
>>> Are there some people who would want to be the 'pilot customers' and try
>>> to use it to build something (ideally what they already tried to v build
>>> with existing Web package), so I can hear the feedback on how it is
>>> usable compared to the existing one?
>>>
>>> Herby

Re: Web alternative

Herby Vojčík

H. Hirzel wrote:
> Thank you Herby, this lightweight solution is useful for me.
>
> I have added an issue about creating a test case
> https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/domite/issues/1

Added tests for basic things (insertion, document fragments), added
support and tests for querySelector, and added untested support for
attrs/props and events and released as 0.1.1.

This should be probably enough for the raw Domite. The Web replacement
with more fancy API will likely be subclass of Domite and will be in
different library.

> On 2/20/15, Herby Vojčík<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>
>> H. Hirzel wrote:
>>> Yes I am interested ....
>> Hi!
>>
>> Not ready yet, at all. But to those interested, I created a library with
>> a very thin wrapper around basic DOM functionality, around which this
>> new Web alternative will be built (probably subclassing the Domite
>> class). It is capable of basic things, though it has not the fancy
>> Seaside-like API and still lacks support for events or querySelector.
>>
>> That thing is at amber-smalltalk/domite repo and present in bower as
>> domite. I will probably try to move trapped to stop use HTMLCanvas and
>> use the raw Domite instead.
>>
>> Interesting thing is, this system may not need renderOn: [ :param | ...
>> ] at all, because it can use to make detached fragment of HTML content
>> easy with `content := Domite open. content ...` and insert this content
>> likewise easily with `placeToInsert insertDomite: content`. No need to
>> pass that param, but this is still the question if to pass it (it makes
>> things harder a bit) or just take a content from it.
>>
>>> Hannes
>> Herby

Re: Web alternative

Amber Milan Eskridge
The idea of DOMite is quite nice. I don't like the uppercase tags, though. They interrupt my reading flow. I know it's this way to distinguish between tags and normal messages, but still I'd prefer
HTMLStream new render: [ :html | html p: 'Hello, world' ] to HTMLStream new render: [ :html | html P: 'Hello, world' ].

Amber Milan Eskridge wrote:
> The idea of DOMite is quite nice. I don't like the uppercase tags,
> though. They interrupt my reading flow. I know it's this way to
> distinguish between tags and normal messages, but still I'd prefer
> HTMLStream new render: [ :html | html p: 'Hello, world' ] to HTMLStream
> new render: [ :html | html P: 'Hello, world' ].

Well, it already materialized in Silk (github.com/herby/silk) (DOMite is
just the low-level layer), and what you do is omit the block entirely:

   Silk new P: 'Hello, world'

Yes, uppercase selectors are used to distinguish selectors in DNU. That
said, you can create any tag consisting of letter by just writing

   Silk new MYCUSTOMTAG: 'contents'

As I already wrote somewhere, the fact that tags stick out is something
I see as a plus: you see the tag-structure easier, while you can
visually ignore other messages sent in the process.

Herby

> [...]
>                     everything in one class (HTMLStream, maybe) and
>                     having tag generation
>                     completely dynamic, via dnu; also, creating
>                     canvas/tagbrush now directly
>                     is harder, the aim here would be on easy creating of
>                     them (a la
>                     `HTMLStream new render: [ :html | html P: 'Hello,
>                     world ]` adding it to
>                     the<body>   or whenever cursor is now when used
>                     inside processing - using
>                     uppercased message to distinguish tags from other
>                     messages),
>                     and removing Widget class completely (anything that
>                     respondsTo:
>                     #renderOn: is a Widget).
>
>                     Are there some people who would want to be the
>                     'pilot customers' and try
>                     to use it to build something (ideally what they
>                     already tried to v build
>                     with existing Web package), so I can hear the

Re: Web alternative

Hannes Hirzel
Hello again,

After installing Amber version 0.14.13 and following the README

https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/domite

    bower install domite --save
    npm install
    bower install
    grunt devel
    amber serve

the Domite category does not show up in the the categories list.

Besides
Use of getPreventDefault() is deprecated.  Use defaultPrevented
instead. jquery.js:4923

No particular error is indicated in the browser web console.

Do you have any suggestions how to fix this?

Thank you in advance.

--Hannes

On 4/5/15, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>                     everything in one class (HTMLStream, maybe) and
>>                     having tag generation
>>                     completely dynamic, via dnu; also, creating
>>                     canvas/tagbrush now directly
>>                     is harder, the aim here would be on easy creating of
>>                     them (a la
>>                     `HTMLStream new render: [ :html | html P: 'Hello,
>>                     world ]` adding it to
>>                     the<body>   or whenever cursor is now when used
>>                     inside processing - using
>>                     uppercased message to distinguish tags from other
>>                     messages),
>>                     and removing Widget class completely (anything that
>>                     respondsTo:
>>                     #renderOn: is a Widget).
>>
>>                     Are there some people who would want to be the
>>                     'pilot customers' and try
>>                     to use it to build something (ideally what they
>>                     already tried to v build
>>                     with existing Web package), so I can hear the

Re: Web alternative

Herby Vojčík

H. Hirzel wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> After installing Amber version 0.14.13 and following the README
>
> https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/domite
>
>      bower install domite --save

In newly created project or in clone of the url above?

>      npm install
>      bower install
>      grunt devel
>      amber serve
>
> the Domite category does not show up in the the categories list.
>

> Besides
> Use of getPreventDefault() is deprecated.  Use defaultPrevented
> instead. jquery.js:4923

That's jQuery's problem, not ours, afaict ;-)

> No particular error is indicated in the browser web console.
>
> Do you have any suggestions how to fix this?
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> --Hannes

P.S.: Why in this thread? It was about the idea, not about particulars...