Web designers and Aida

Janko Mivšek
Dear Aiders,

I'm following an interesting debate here:
http://www.nabble.com/thoughts-on-Seaside-3.0-td18448440.html

This post is really interesting to read, because author argues that we
Smalltalkers have an ignorance of the design side of web development.

Namely, web designers have a different way of working, which goes well
with templating, less well with component based development as we are
doing. I actually agree with him here, I also have that kind of
experience with web developers. Also, CSS separation of content and
design is more the theory than established practice for them. Last
experience with http://www.nets.si clearly shows that.

Aida actually had templating, but we switched off it. Now the templating
is kind of supported by embedding the html code directly into methods.
This can maybe be even better than traditional templating in HTML files
because of version control, but on the other hand it is not handy for
web designers.

Any thoughts about that subject? What is your experience with web designers?

Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web

Re: Web designers and Aida

Stefan Schmiedl
On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 19:42:57 +0200
Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Any thoughts about that subject? What is your experience with web designers?

Last time I needed a designer, I started with a "black and white"
draft of the site showing the basic functionality. Then designer and
client ping-ponged PowerPoint slides around (Put that thing there and
make this color more like that one). After things had settled down, I
moved some code blocks around to make the generated HTML a good fit
without requiring major CSS magic.

Totally independent on how the web page was created.

It's just a matter of what the people are used to.

s.

Re: Web designers and Aida

Lorenzo
I Janko,

I will be in Tarvisio in August; do you think we can meet personally ?

Ciao

Lorenzo
> I'm following an interesting debate here:
> http://www.nabble.com/thoughts-on-Seaside-3.0-td18448440.html
>
> This post is really interesting to read, because author argues that we
> Smalltalkers have an ignorance of the design side of web development.
>
> Namely, web designers have a different way of working, which goes well
> with templating, less well with component based development as we are
> doing. I actually agree with him here, I also have that kind of
> experience with web developers. Also, CSS separation of content and
> design is more the theory than established practice for them. Last
> experience with http://www.nets.si clearly shows that.
>
> Aida actually had templating, but we switched off it. Now the templating
> is kind of supported by embedding the html code directly into methods.
> This can maybe be even better than traditional templating in HTML files
> because of version control, but on the other hand it is not handy for
> web designers.
>
> Any thoughts about that subject? What is your experience with web
> designers?
>
> Janko
>

> --
> Janko Mivšek
> AIDA/Web
> Smalltalk Web Application Server
> http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: Web designers and Aida

Janko Mivšek
Hi Lorenzo,

Lorenzo Schiavina wrote:

> I will be in Tarvisio in August; do you think we can meet personally ?

With pleasure! More in private mail.

Best regards
Janko