Web framework or Web Application Server?

Web framework or Web Application Server?

Janko Mivšek
Dear all,

Well, time to decide what to use for Aida. Should it be Web framework or
Web application server? And we need to decide quickly, logo is on the
work, Wikipedia entry also...

Nico's stance:
I think that we should be clear about that : Aida is a web framework,
Swazoo is a web server. Aida is clearly not a web server, and I think
that the sentence "Smalltalk web application server" is very confusing
for newcommers (It was the case for me when I discovered Aida...) : What
is Aida and what is Swazoo?

My stance:
Swazoo is web server while Aida is web framework. But
because Aida comes always with Swazoo, I think we shall name Aida as Web
application server, which is web framework + web server.

But on the other side, RoR and Seaside are declared only as web
frameworks and as we like to be on pair, we also use only "Web
framework" for Aida when appropriate.

Also if you see title of our website on Google, you'll see a long
"AIDA/Web Smalltalk Web Framework and Application Server". That's
because people search sometimes as web framework, sometimes as web
application, sometimes as web application server etc.

Others?

JAnko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web

Re: Web framework or Web Application Server?

Jimmie Houchin-3
Janko Mivšek wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Well, time to decide what to use for Aida. Should it be Web framework or
> Web application server? And we need to decide quickly, logo is on the
> work, Wikipedia entry also...

Regardless of the decision. I believe that whatever we decide should be
well defined on the website as there are many differing views on the
definitions of these phrases.

Personally, I like Web Application Server.

> Nico's stance:
> I think that we should be clear about that : Aida is a web framework,
> Swazoo is a web server. Aida is clearly not a web server, and I think
> that the sentence "Smalltalk web application server" is very confusing
> for newcommers (It was the case for me when I discovered Aida...) : What
> is Aida and what is Swazoo?

I can understand Nico's position here. This is why I believe that on any
material which describes AIDAweb it should be defined as to the meaning
of the term.

There is much differing and ambiguity in the world of web development.

For example what does "Full Stack" mean? Rails and others use such an
expression to describe their framework. But the combination of
deployable options in such "Full Stack" frameworks is dizzying. Web
server..., Database..., Templating language..., etc.  So much for "Full
Stack" and having quality decisions already made. :)

Nevertheless, I believe a good definition attached to Web Application
Server may take care of Nico's situation and where he and others come from.

> My stance:
> Swazoo is web server while Aida is web framework. But
> because Aida comes always with Swazoo, I think we shall name Aida as Web
> application server, which is web framework + web server.

Point. Can AIDA serve a web app or Smalltalk objects without Swazoo?
To my understanding no.
So while AIDA is not a web server. It does require a single specific web
server as a part of its framework architecture. It isn't optional. We
can't swap Apache, nginx, lighttpd, or any other web server for Swazoo.
We can put any of them in front of AIDAweb/Swazoo but we can't replace
Swazoo with any of them.

To me this is a big distinguishing difference between AIDAweb and RoR or
any other "Full Stack" framework.

I am not certain how RoR works and whether or not if you use Apache you
still have to use its internal web server or not.

> But on the other side, RoR and Seaside are declared only as web
> frameworks and as we like to be on pair, we also use only "Web
> framework" for Aida when appropriate.

Seaside can claim to be a framework if they wish. But it is just as
dependent on Komanche's as AIDA is on Swazoo.

AIDAweb and Seaside are much more like Zope than Ruby on Rails or other
such frameworks.

 From the Zope site at:  http://www.zope.org
Zope is an open source application server ...

From:  http://www.zope.org/WhatIsZope
What is Zope?
Zope is an open source web application server ...

More detailed descriptions available at the above pages.

You can put Apache, etc. in front of Zope, but you don't have to.
You can use an external database, but you don't have to.

Read the above 2 pages on Zope and see what you would like to use for
descriptions or marketing.

But of course nothing, absolutely nothing is as well integrated, tightly
coupled, out of the box available as AIDAweb or Seaside. :)

Zope is a close as I think we get to a Smalltalk like system, out in the
file based world programming languages. And as such its advocates and
opponents have the same likes and dislikes as are used for and against
Smalltalk.

> Also if you see title of our website on Google, you'll see a long
> "AIDA/Web Smalltalk Web Framework and Application Server". That's
> because people search sometimes as web framework, sometimes as web
> application, sometimes as web application server etc.

In the end, to me, AIDAweb is for building and serving web applications.
Yes, it does contain a framework, but it is far more tightly coupled to
its components and parts than most.

Is a framework?
Has a framework?

Is an application server?
Has an application server?

Nothing will be perfect.

But I vote for Web Application Server and a quality definition as to
what that means for AIDAweb.

Don't know if this helps. But hope so.

Jimmie

Re: Web framework or Web Application Server?

Giuseppe
Good point..

And what about, Web Application Suite?

Jimmie Houchin escribió:

> [...]
>

>> Also if you see title of our website on Google, you'll see a long
>> "AIDA/Web Smalltalk Web Framework and Application Server". That's
>> because people search sometimes as web framework, sometimes as web
>> application, sometimes as web application server etc.
>>

> In the end, to me, AIDAweb is for building and serving web applications.
> Yes, it does contain a framework, but it is far more tightly coupled to
> its components and parts than most.
>
> Is a framework?
> Has a framework?
>
> Is an application server?
> Has an application server?
>
> Nothing will be perfect.
>
> But I vote for Web Application Server and a quality definition as to
> what that means for AIDAweb.
>
> Don't know if this helps. But hope so.
>
> Jimmie

Re: Web framework or Web Application Server?

Nicholas Moore
I think Jimmie has made some good points here.

Historically, Aida came along first, then Swazoo emerged as an integral and necessary part of Aida. The web server aspect of Aida has made my life much easier, so that I use it as a Web application server, not just as a framework within which I can build web applications. Aida serves my applications to the web (hence the label 'AIDA/Web').

The fact that a component of AIDA (Swazoo) has been so successful that it has gained an independent life does not detract from the breadth of the complete Aida offering.

Therefore I vote for the 'Web application server' label.

Nicholas

Jimmie Houchin wrote:
Janko Mivšek wrote:

[...]

 From the Zope site at:  http://www.zope.org
Zope is an open source application server ...

From:  http://www.zope.org/WhatIsZope
What is Zope?
[...]

NJM TSR-i

Nicholas J Moore
Limoges
France

Re: Web framework or Web Application Server?

Nicolas Petton
Hi,

Of course I also understand Jimmie's point. But I still think that it's
a mistake, at least for marketing reasons.

Cheers!

Nico
--
Nicolas Petton
http://nico.bioskop.fr

nico wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Of course I also understand Jimmie's point. But I still think that it's
> a mistake, at least for marketing reasons.

Understood. :)

However, there is no clearly defined use of the phrases "Web Framework",
"Fullstack", or "Web Application Server". The definition unfortunately
varies depending on the tool to which it is being applied. Which is why
I believe that on the "About AIDAweb"... page(s) that a good description
as to whatever expression we use means.

With regards to marketing. Who are we marketing to? What marketing
battle do we hope to win?

If Seaside v. AIDAweb/Scribo, then I don't think it is a problem. Each
are different and distinct with different personalities. And with regard
to Framework v. Application Server, Seaside is in the same boat as us.

I believe that with regards to marketing we have a lot more to overcome
than ambiguities between Framework v. Application Server.

Why use Smalltalk?

That is the first barrier to entry.

Once that is overcome, then we have somebody who can listen and
understand the whys behind Seaside or AIDAweb.

We will never win with people who come to AIDAweb who are looking to
swap in and out there favorite pieces and parts and tools for the job.
Its hard enough to talk to the Seaside community and they are one of us.
Janko posts on the Seaside list about adding a feature to Swazoo and
gets blasted. Why add this feature? We have Apache? (All bow down to
Apache)  Ugh!

One thing I love about AIDAweb is Janko's vision for a complete
Smalltalk stack for web development. Turtles all the way down, as Avi
says. Nice!

We are getting closer to offering a good and reasonably compelling tool
for the developer. I would love to see us get to a better out the box
experience for those who aren't programmers (yet) but are very good with
computers and software and we can enable them with quality software and
a good web UI to get the job done.

The app I am currently working on is currently implemented in
SharePoint. Yuck! But it was chosen (not by me) because it enabled a
certain set of people to get a job done. AIDAweb/Scribo as of yet
wouldn't quite enable them in the same way. But it can, and I hope it
will soon.

Out of the Box experience is the one thing which has so strongly tried
to pull me to Plone. Being the end-user of an application (CMS) instead
of a developer with a CMS is very appealing. It is very enabling.

I am very much a power user. I very much prefer using an application, to
developing the application. I am hoping that Scribo will reach the place
that it enables people like me. I know Scribo isn't there yet. And that
I might have to help to get it there. But if there is no desire for
Scribo to enable application users. Then I may be in the wrong place and
need to go to Plone who very much does. But I care about the back-end
technology also which is why I currently prefer AIDAweb/Scribo.

Any way, I believe marketing to people looking for a Framework will
frequently draw people in only to see them leave when they learn that we
don't embrace or enable their favorite tool. They will see our vision as
too narrow and non-inclusive. Whereas I find it liberating to not have
to worry about all that other technology and what to pick and how to
assemble and get working together.

A quote from the Seaside list:
"It took me at least 3 times as much time to get Apache up and running
with Seaside as it did to actually write the Seaside application."

So the question really is:
Who are we marketing to?
Who do we want to become a part of this community?

What is AIDAweb?
Who are its users?

How do we get the word out to them?

Regardless of which phrase gets chosen, it will need to be well defined
for the context of AIDAweb.

To me, we want people who are:
Opinionated :)
They love Smalltalk, or are at least open to learning and loving Smalltalk.
They love Turtles all the way down.
The more they can do with the chosen tool, the better.
The less they have to look elsewhere to solve the problem, the better.

And the nice thing is ...
That if you want to put Apache in front of AIDAweb, you can.
That if you want to use PostgreSQL for persistence, you can.
Nothing stops you. Nothing even slows you down.
It just isn't the required path of the tool.
You are fully enabled without such tools or requirements.
Nothing else is required out of the box.

So what is our vision statement?
Who are we?
What do we want to be?
Who do we enable?
What do we provide?
Where do we want to go?

The better we can answer all of these questions the better we can choose
who to market to and how.

One of the fantastic things to watch about the Plone community is how
they choose to organize themselves. How they go about deciding a vision
for the future of Plone. A vision for Plone, its development, its users,
its community.

I know the AIDAweb community is small. But we don't have to think small.
Without a vision the people perish. Without a vision, no one can come
alongside and become one of us. With a vision clearly expressed and
written down. People can come alongside, take a part of the work and run
with it. Without such, people are only somewhat walking in the same
direction. If their works happen to complement the whole and help the
community, great. If not, oh well. No common vision. No common goals. No
common achievements.

I am not a strong developer. But hopefully I can be a strong motivator
and help where I can. But without the vision, I can't say that AIDAweb
is going the direction I want to go. It currently isn't at a place I
want to be. But can I help it get to where it wants to go? And do I want
to go there also?

If I can't answer those questions, then I am better off with Plone even
if the back end development is a little harder. Because of community, I
will have much less of it to do. Only those content types which aren't
available out of the box.

My apologies for such a long email.

I am just trying to exhort this community toward creating and moving
towards a common, well written vision as to who we are, what we are
doing, where we are going and why you want to join us in this adventure.

Jimmie

Re: Web framework or Web Application Server?

Janko Mivšek
Jimmie,

Thank you very much for your thoughts and they are on the right
direction, at least from my viewpoint. I'll use your questions below for
my ESUG presentation to show the vision of both Aida and Scribo. Well,
I'll try to show and let discussing the vision here as well if time will
permit.

About question from subject, let we therefore stay with Smalltalk Web
Application Server.  Technically it is much more appropriate as you and
Nicholas pointed out, while me and Nico had some worries from marketing
standpoint. Also on Wikipedia we are among Web frameworks, there is even
not a serious page for web app servers!

Best regards
Janko

Jimmie Houchin wrote:

> [...]
> common achievements.
>
> I am not a strong developer. But hopefully I can be a strong motivator
> and help where I can. But without the vision, I can't say that AIDAweb
> is going the direction I want to go. It currently isn't at a place I
> want to be. But can I help it get to where it wants to go? And do I want
> to go there also?
>
> If I can't answer those questions, then I am better off with Plone even
> if the back end development is a little harder. Because of community, I
> will have much less of it to do. Only those content types which aren't
> available out of the box.
>
> My apologies for such a long email.
>
> I am just trying to exhort this community toward creating and moving
> towards a common, well written vision as to who we are, what we are
> doing, where we are going and why you want to join us in this adventure.

Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: Web framework or Web Application Server?

Nicholas Moore
From a marketing perspective there is probably some benefit in positioning AIDA as a web application server because that offers so much more - a complete integrated development and deployment environment, facilitating rapid prototyping and testing. Simple web frameworks are relatively obsolete!
:-)

Nicholas

Jimmie Houchin wrote:

nico wrote:

[...]

+33 555 092 140
+33 682 904 357
TSR International
Thought Leaders in Communication & Complexity
www.TSR-i.com

Re: Web framework or Web Application Server?

Nicolas Petton

2008/8/19 Nicholas Moore <[hidden email]>
From a marketing perspective there is probably some benefit in positioning AIDA as a web application server because that offers so much more - a complete integrated development and deployment environment, facilitating rapid prototyping and testing. Simple web frameworks are relatively obsolete!
:-)

I don't think that web frameworks are obsolete at all, but it's ok, I was just worried from marketing point of view. I don't personally care how we call it, Aida is still Aida, the best Smalltalk web applcation server/framework ;)

It's just that some other web developpers had the same problem the first time they saw Aida and its website. I had to explain what it was....Ok, some of them come from RoR community, but still.

Cheers!

Nico

Nicholas

Jimmie Houchin wrote:

nico wrote:

[...]

Stefan Schmiedl
On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 11:17:25 -0500
Jimmie Houchin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > But on the other side, RoR and Seaside are declared only as web
> > frameworks and as we like to be on pair, we also use only "Web
> > framework" for Aida when appropriate.
>
> Seaside can claim to be a framework if they wish. But it is just as
> dependent on Komanche's as AIDA is on Swazoo.

In fact, Seaside does not depend on a specifice web server as you can
see in the VisualWorks environment, where you can choose between three
different web server backends, Swazoo one of them.

> > Also if you see title of our website on Google, you'll see a long
> > "AIDA/Web Smalltalk Web Framework and Application Server". That's
> > because people search sometimes as web framework, sometimes as web
> > application, sometimes as web application server etc.
>
> In the end, to me, AIDAweb is for building and serving web applications.
> Yes, it does contain a framework, but it is far more tightly coupled to
> its components and parts than most.

... which might not be perceived as positive, as it effectively
prevents you from switching out one of the components if so required.

So de-emphasizing the distinction between the framework and the
actual server might be a good thing. You could/should promote it
as integrated solution to the problem of building and serving web
applications.

> Is a framework?
> Has a framework?
>
> Is an application server?
> Has an application server?
>
> Nothing will be perfect.
>
> But I vote for Web Application Server and a quality definition as to
> what that means for AIDAweb.

Remembering that all this is connected to a wikipedia entry, you might
want to choose a definition that fits nicely with the one given on
wikipedia for the respective terms.

s.