WebApp question ...

Dennis smith-4
We have our own tag library and servlet library (one servlet).

What are the issues and how to people deal with images (not VW image,
images from VW -- perhaps gif/jpeg/bmp files).  These files tend to be on
the VW machine -- we need to access them from the generated html.  That
would seem
to want them on the web-server which is NOT the VW machine.

???

--
Dennis Smith                        [hidden email]
Cherniak Software Development Corporation       +1 905.771.7011
Thornhill, ON Canada L3T 7N7    http://www.CherniakSoftware.com

Re: WebApp question ...

jarober
In the blog server, I just toss the images into a subdirectory off the
place where the SSP files live.  Then the web server handles them

At 03:36 PM 2/24/2006, you wrote:

>We have our own tag library and servlet library (one servlet).
>
>What are the issues and how to people deal with images (not VW image,
>images from VW -- perhaps gif/jpeg/bmp files).  These files tend to be on
>the VW machine -- we need to access them from the generated html.  That
>would seem
>to want them on the web-server which is NOT the VW machine.
>
>???
>
>--
>Dennis Smith                        [hidden email]
>Cherniak Software Development Corporation       +1 905.771.7011
>400-10 Commerce Valley Dr E                Fax: +1 905.771.6288
>Thornhill, ON Canada L3T 7N7    http://www.CherniakSoftware.com

James Robertson, Product Manager, Cincom Smalltalk
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView

Re: WebApp question ...

Alan Knight-2
I think a common scenario would be to put them in separate "virtual directories", so
  myserver.com/images/blah.jpg
gets served by the main web server
  myserver.com/smalltalkstuff/blah.ssp
gets served by smalltalk.

At 03:36 PM 2/24/2006, Dennis Smith wrote:

>We have our own tag library and servlet library (one servlet).
>
>What are the issues and how to people deal with images (not VW image,
>images from VW -- perhaps gif/jpeg/bmp files).  These files tend to be on
>the VW machine -- we need to access them from the generated html.  That would seem
>to want them on the web-server which is NOT the VW machine.
>
>???
>
>--
>Dennis Smith                        [hidden email]
>Cherniak Software Development Corporation       +1 905.771.7011
>400-10 Commerce Valley Dr E                Fax: +1 905.771.6288
>Thornhill, ON Canada L3T 7N7    http://www.CherniakSoftware.com

--
Alan Knight [|], Cincom Smalltalk Development
http://www.cincom.com/smalltalk

"The Static Typing Philosophy: Make it fast. Make it right. Make it run." - Niall Ross

Re: WebApp question ...

Dennis smith-4
If they where the .ssp files are (which I presume is not on the web
server front end), how to you create a url to them,
include the cgi-bin stuff etc etc??

Alan Knight wrote:
I think a common scenario would be to put them in separate "virtual directories", so
  myserver.com/images/blah.jpg
gets served by the main web server
  myserver.com/smalltalkstuff/blah.ssp
gets served by smalltalk.

Hm -- not really for us.  We are using Gemstone, so we have
    a) a VW server (likely windows)
    b) a Gemstone server (likely Linux)
forgetting the web stuff, we need to store images associated with objects in the Gemstone database.
These must become part of the backup.
Until now (no web stuff) we stored them in Gemstone as instances of GIFimage.  Since we now need a file
we are thinking storing the file path in the Gemstone image and the image as its original file format in a
directory hiearachy which we will include along with our gemstone backup.
This could be on the VW server (used also as a fileserver -- e.g. for Word etc documents) or the Gemstone
server -- we deal with both for backup purposes.  In fact we would prefer to make it configurable as to which
of the two servers they went on.
(its faster if we know rather than using network mounts to get access).