WebApplication>>session broken due to missing #printSloString missing.

WebApplication>>session broken due to missing #printSloString missing.

Herbert König
Hi,

in search of of documentation I'm reading the list archives and try
out interesting things I find.
In doing that I fond:
WebApplication>>session broken due to missing #printSloString missing.

Could be replaced by #printString I guess but what would
#printSloString do different?

BTW in browsing code I find some unknown classes referenced. I'll
report if any of these cause problems. Otherwise Aida feels good and
hopefully I will soon start building something on it.

You'll notice, as I will have questions :-))

Cheers,

Herbert                          mailto:[hidden email]

Re: WebApplication>>session broken due to missing #printSloString missing.

Janko Mivšek
Hi Herbert,

What a late response to your questions, sorry! I hope I'm not too late
with answers ...

Herbert König wrote:

> in search of of documentation I'm reading the list archives and try
> out interesting things I find.
> In doing that I fond:
> WebApplication>>session broken due to missing #printSloString missing.
>
> Could be replaced by #printString I guess but what would
> #printSloString do different?

Yes it could be.

Slo in those methods means that are to support Slovenian language and
there are many such methods still in the code. Remember that Aida was
born in 96, when there were no traces of any i8n support in Smalltalks.
Well, now there is, but incompatible among Smalltalks. And because I
wrote and still write most web apps for Slovenian market, those methods
helped me a lot.

Yes, we need to replace them gradually to something better ...

> BTW in browsing code I find some unknown classes referenced. I'll
> report if any of these cause problems. Otherwise Aida feels good and
> hopefully I will soon start building something on it.

Nice to hear that :)  Yes, if somenone can do analysis of unknown
references, we can clean them up.

> You'll notice, as I will have questions :-)

Just continue!

Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web

How to draw lines? was:Re: WebApplication>>session broken due to missing #printSloString missing.

Herbert König
Hi Janko,

JM> What a late response to your questions, sorry! I hope I'm not too late
JM> with answers ...

never mind, I have a *lot* of work to do in the model.

Progress report:
During the holidays I spent the evenings with reading the list
archives which answered a lot of questions.

I skimmed a book about Javascript as I knew nothing about web
programming before.

My UI will mainly consist of tabs (7 to 9) holding UI's like the one
in the tutorial. I see no problem here. There is one question left for
which I guess I will have to learn the basics of Java.

90% of the work my uses will do will be entering point coordinates
forming cross sections (of e.g. roads). As they enter each point I
want to present them with a graphic showing the cross section as far
as completed.

In Morphic I would use a PolygonMorph with handles enabled (see png).
Clicking on a yellow circle would edit that point, clicking on a green
triangle would insert the next point between the two adjacent points.
Unlike the six points of the shown polygon the typical polygon will
have 15 to 20 points, meaning I will need the whole width of the
browser window, aspect ratio being about 10 to 1.

I could do this now in the server, export a png and send it up to the
client browser. From my reading I assume that JS can send the clicked
coordinates in the graphic to the server, to find out what has been
clicked. But I believe I have to do this on the client side. Users
should hack into the numerical keypad as fast as they can and not be
delayed by the application, even if several users are online. Also a
modem connection (or a shared megabit line) should be sufficient.

As far as I know this can't be accomplished in Javascript but I know
it can be done in Java.

If anyone has a clue if this could be done in Javascript please share
it! It will save me a lot of time. OTOH when I'm done, Aida will have
a small plot utility done in Java and accessed like the JS prototype
for Ajax.

Again nothing pressing I still have to do much work on the model
besides making a living.

Cheers

Herbert                            mailto:[hidden email]

example.png (1K) Download Attachment