WebBrowser

Torsten Bergmann
There once was a subclass of AppRegistry called
WebBrowser. This is now gone in "PharoCore 1.2a 12172"
compared to Pharo 1.1

Dont know why this specific subclass was removed since
other subclasses of AppRegistry are still in the image
(like MailSender, SoundService, ...)

Was it by accident or if not what is the idea here.

However - since this class is missing the package
"ExternalWebBrowser" will fail to load in Pharo 1.2
since it would like to register itself as a webbrowser in
a class side #initialize.

Two possibilities:
 - we change ExternalWebBrowser
 - we reintroduce the missing class (either internal
   or in a compatibility package)

Any comments?

Thx
Torsten
--
GRATIS! Movie-FLAT mit über 300 Videos.
Jetzt freischalten unter http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/maxdome

Re: WebBrowser

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 12:56 PM, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
There once was a subclass of AppRegistry called
WebBrowser. This is now gone in "PharoCore 1.2a 12172"
compared to Pharo 1.1

Dont know why this specific subclass was removed since
other subclasses of AppRegistry are still in the image
(like MailSender, SoundService, ...)

Was it by accident or if not what is the idea here.

However - since this class is missing the package
"ExternalWebBrowser" will fail to load in Pharo 1.2
since it would like to register itself as a webbrowser in
a class side #initialize.

Two possibilities:
 - we change ExternalWebBrowser
 - we reintroduce the missing class (either internal
  or in a compatibility package)

I would change ExternalWebBrowser, add the missing class there, and create a new version in ConfigurationOf that works in 1.2

Any comments?

Thx
Torsten
--
GRATIS! Movie-FLAT mit über 300 Videos.
Jetzt freischalten unter http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/maxdome

Re: WebBrowser

if this is used we can reintroduce it.

Stef

> There once was a subclass of AppRegistry called
> WebBrowser. This is now gone in "PharoCore 1.2a 12172"
> compared to Pharo 1.1
>
> Dont know why this specific subclass was removed since
> other subclasses of AppRegistry are still in the image
> (like MailSender, SoundService, ...)
>
> Was it by accident or if not what is the idea here.
>
> However - since this class is missing the package
> "ExternalWebBrowser" will fail to load in Pharo 1.2
> since it would like to register itself as a webbrowser in
> a class side #initialize.
>
> Two possibilities:
> - we change ExternalWebBrowser
> - we reintroduce the missing class (either internal
>   or in a compatibility package)
>
> Any comments?
>
> Thx
> Torsten
> --
> GRATIS! Movie-FLAT mit über 300 Videos.
> Jetzt freischalten unter http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/maxdome

Re: WebBrowser

laza
2010/10/7 Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]>:
> Dont know why this specific subclass was removed since
> other subclasses of AppRegistry are still in the image
> (like MailSender, SoundService, ...)
>
> Was it by accident or if not what is the idea here.

It got nuked with

Name: System-Applications-StephaneDucasse.18
Author: StephaneDucasse
Time: 11 July 2010, 6:52:54 pm
UUID: 7eb6ce52-4ac4-4523-b44f-eaf822506c76
Ancestors: System-Applications-StephaneDucasse.14

- Issue 2664: empty classes: WebBrowser, SketchMorph,
PasteUpMorphTest, NameOfSubclass, MethodTempsNode

Re: WebBrowser

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Thu, 7 Oct 2010, Alexander Lazarević wrote:

> 2010/10/7 Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]>:
>> Dont know why this specific subclass was removed since
>> other subclasses of AppRegistry are still in the image
>> (like MailSender, SoundService, ...)
>>
>> Was it by accident or if not what is the idea here.
>
> It got nuked with
>
> Name: System-Applications-StephaneDucasse.18
> Author: StephaneDucasse
> Time: 11 July 2010, 6:52:54 pm
> UUID: 7eb6ce52-4ac4-4523-b44f-eaf822506c76
> Ancestors: System-Applications-StephaneDucasse.14
>
> - Issue 2664: empty classes: WebBrowser, SketchMorph,
> PasteUpMorphTest, NameOfSubclass, MethodTempsNode
Why did you remove NameOfSubclass?

Levente

Re: WebBrowser

Marcus Denker-4

On Oct 8, 2010, at 3:36 AM, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Oct 2010, Alexander Lazarević wrote:
>
>> 2010/10/7 Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]>:
>>> Dont know why this specific subclass was removed since
>>> other subclasses of AppRegistry are still in the image
>>> (like MailSender, SoundService, ...)
>>>
>>> Was it by accident or if not what is the idea here.
>>
>> It got nuked with
>>
>> Name: System-Applications-StephaneDucasse.18
>> Author: StephaneDucasse
>> Time: 11 July 2010, 6:52:54 pm
>> UUID: 7eb6ce52-4ac4-4523-b44f-eaf822506c76
>> Ancestors: System-Applications-StephaneDucasse.14
>>
>> - Issue 2664: empty classes: WebBrowser, SketchMorph,
>> PasteUpMorphTest, NameOfSubclass, MethodTempsNode
>
> Why did you remove NameOfSubclass?

It was part of the compiler tests, but there are no users (at least I am
too dumb to find them).

        -> empty class
        -> no References
        -> Not even in the source
        -> In a tests package
        -> Running the tests does not seem to re-create the class
             (else in addition, tearDown code would be needed)

        Marcus

--
Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

Re: WebBrowser

Marcus Denker-4

On Oct 7, 2010, at 10:49 PM, Alexander Lazarević wrote:

> 2010/10/7 Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]>:
>> Dont know why this specific subclass was removed since
>> other subclasses of AppRegistry are still in the image
>> (like MailSender, SoundService, ...)
>>
>> Was it by accident or if not what is the idea here.
>
> It got nuked with
>
> Name: System-Applications-StephaneDucasse.18
> Author: StephaneDucasse
> Time: 11 July 2010, 6:52:54 pm
> UUID: 7eb6ce52-4ac4-4523-b44f-eaf822506c76
> Ancestors: System-Applications-StephaneDucasse.14
>
> - Issue 2664: empty classes: WebBrowser, SketchMorph,
> PasteUpMorphTest, NameOfSubclass, MethodTempsNode

I think I removed it because I removed the code for browsing...
with the idea that I am sure nobody needs Scamper these days.
But I forgot the external webBrowser stuff.

The nice thing is: we can put things back, easily. I think it's better
to remove and put back than to never change anything because
someone might need it.

        Marcus

--
Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

Re: WebBrowser

exactly
probably adding a nice class comment could help a lot.

Stef

2010/10/8 Marcus Denker <[hidden email]>:
> The nice thing is: we can put things back, easily. I think it's better
> to remove and put back than to never change anything because
> someone might need it.

True.

I guess there is no benefit other than for backwards compatibility to
keep WebBrowser around. In Pharo 1.2 web links don't use WebBrowser
anymore and so even a registered ExternalWebBrowser will not be used.
I think there is a UI testing framework that uses ExternalWebBrowser,
but I doubt that this uses the indirection via the WebBrowser
registry.

Anyway, I changed the latest version of ExternalWebBrowser, so that it
checks if there is a WebBrowser registry present before trying to
register itself. Works in Squeak 4.2a and Pharo1.2 .

Alex

Re: WebBrowser

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Fri, 8 Oct 2010, Marcus Denker wrote:

> On Oct 8, 2010, at 3:36 AM, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

>>> It got nuked with
>>>
>>> Name: System-Applications-StephaneDucasse.18
>>> Author: StephaneDucasse
>>> Time: 11 July 2010, 6:52:54 pm
>>> UUID: 7eb6ce52-4ac4-4523-b44f-eaf822506c76
>>> Ancestors: System-Applications-StephaneDucasse.14
>>>
>>> - Issue 2664: empty classes: WebBrowser, SketchMorph,
>>> PasteUpMorphTest, NameOfSubclass, MethodTempsNode
>>
>> Why did you remove NameOfSubclass?
>>
> It was part of the compiler tests, but there are no users (at least I am
> too dumb to find them).
>
> -> empty class
> -> no References
> -> Not even in the source
> -> In a tests package
> -> Running the tests does not seem to re-create the class
>             (else in addition, tearDown code would be needed)
It's part of the class creation template. The only useful aspect of its
existence was that you got a warning if you forgot to change the name of
the subclass in the template.

Levente

> Marcus
>
> --
> Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de

Re: WebBrowser

Marcus Denker-4

> It's part of the class creation template. The only useful aspect of its existence was that you got a warning if you forgot to change the name of the subclass in the template.

-> It was part of a test package. Test packages only contain tests and artefacts used *by tests*.
-> The class has no class comment.

My theory is it was just the *result* of someone forgetting to change the name of the subclass in the template,
not an intended mechanism.

The error message would be very strange, too.

        Marcus

--
Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

Re: WebBrowser

Miguel Cobá
El vie, 08-10-2010 a las 09:06 +0200, Marcus Denker escribió:

> The nice thing is: we can put things back, easily. I think it's better
> to remove and put back than to never change anything because
> someone might need it.

 + 100

--
Miguel Cobá