WebElements composition

12

Re: WebCharts

Francisco A. Lizarralde-2
El lun, 09-03-2009 a las 00:33 +0100, nico escribió:
> Le dimanche 08 mars 2009 à 21:21 -0200, Francisco A. Lizarralde a
> écrit :
>
> There is something wrong with your installation i think.
Yes, I think the same.

> What versions of aida and aidacharts do you have?
The image is: sq3.10.2-7179web09.02.1.image

Aida-5.6.mcz
AidaCharts-np.6.mcz

I'll try with another image.

Sorry for the troubles. Thank you so much for your support.

Cheers,

Francisco

Re: WebCharts

Francisco A. Lizarralde-2
Nico,

Yes, I see the charts perfectly. I think, there is a problem with my
image. I'll try to change it.

Thank you so much,

Cheers,

Francisco

El lun, 09-03-2009 a las 00:41 +0100, nico escribió:
> Le dimanche 08 mars 2009 à 21:21 -0200, Francisco A. Lizarralde a
> écrit :
> Just to be sure, do you see charts here?
> http://scribo.aidaweb.si/charts.html

Re: WebCharts

Nicolas Petton
A probably unnecessary hint: did you update aida after installing
aidacharts? If so, reloading AidaCharts could fix your pb.

Nico

Le dimanche 08 mars 2009 à 21:49 -0200, Francisco A. Lizarralde a
écrit :

> Nico,
>
> Yes, I see the charts perfectly. I think, there is a problem with my
> image. I'll try to change it.
>
> Thank you so much,
>
> Cheers,
>
> Francisco
>
> El lun, 09-03-2009 a las 00:41 +0100, nico escribió:
> > Le dimanche 08 mars 2009 à 21:21 -0200, Francisco A. Lizarralde a
> > écrit :
> > Just to be sure, do you see charts here?
> > http://scribo.aidaweb.si/charts.html

Re: WebCharts

Rob Rothwell
Nico,

While we are on the subject of charts, can you give me any pointers on how to maybe figure out how to make sure a WebChart can be "Ajax-fied?"

Rob

Le dimanche 08 mars 2009 à 19:56 -0400, Rob Rothwell a écrit :
> Nico,
>
> While we are on the subject of charts, can you give me any pointers on
> how to maybe figure out how to make sure a WebChart can be
> "Ajax-fied?"

Right, sorry about that, I forgot :(

The problem seems to come from this part:
Event.observe(window, 'load', function()....

The chart is built only once, when the page is loaded.

I'll fix it :)

Cheers!

Nico

> Rob
>
> On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 7:49 PM, Francisco A. Lizarralde
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>         Nico,
>
>         Yes, I see the charts perfectly. I think, there is a problem
>         with my
>         image. I'll try to change it.
>
>         Thank you so much,
>
>         Cheers,
>
>         Francisco
>
>         El lun, 09-03-2009 a las 00:41 +0100, nico escribió:
>         > Le dimanche 08 mars 2009 à 21:21 -0200, Francisco A.
>         Lizarralde a
>         > écrit :
>
>         > Just to be sure, do you see charts here?
>         > http://scribo.aidaweb.si/charts.html

Re: WebCharts

Rob Rothwell
No problem.  I always assume everyone has an actual life beyond responding to the Squeak lists!!!

So it's a javascript thing?  Man...I really have to learn a enough of that to debug things like this...

Just think of how useful a Comet-enabled chart can be!  All kinds of web-based tracking-board like applications!

Thank you SO much for your time, though.  I have someone how has an application in mind and I think I can get them using Aida with these charts!

Rob

On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 8:08 PM, nico <[hidden email]> wrote:
Le dimanche 08 mars 2009 à 19:56 -0400, Rob Rothwell a écrit :
> Nico,
>
> While we are on the subject of charts, can you give me any pointers on
> how to maybe figure out how to make sure a WebChart can be
> "Ajax-fied?"

Right, sorry about that, I forgot :(

The problem seems to come from this part:
Event.observe(window, 'load', function()....

The chart is built only once, when the page is loaded.

I'll fix it :)

Cheers!

Nico

> Rob
>
> On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 7:49 PM, Francisco A. Lizarralde
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>         Nico,
>
>         Yes, I see the charts perfectly. I think, there is a problem
>         with my
>         image. I'll try to change it.
>
>         Thank you so much,
>
>         Cheers,
>
>         Francisco
>
>         El lun, 09-03-2009 a las 00:41 +0100, nico escribió:
>         > Le dimanche 08 mars 2009 à 21:21 -0200, Francisco A.
>         Lizarralde a
>         > écrit :
>
>         > Just to be sure, do you see charts here?
>         > http://scribo.aidaweb.si/charts.html

Re: WebCharts SOLVED

Francisco A. Lizarralde-2
Hi Nico and Rob,

Today I downloaded a fresh image [Squeak3.10.2-7179-basic] from
http://ftp.squeak.org/current_stable/, before I was using
[sq3.10.2-7179web09.02.1].

I loaded in it Sport2.031, Swazoo2.1, Aida5.6 and AidaCharts-np.6.

With this image all works fine, and the charts are awesome !!!

Thank you so much Nico and Rob, for your help.

Best regards,

Francisco

El lun, 09-03-2009 a las 00:55 +0100, nico escribió:
> A probably unnecessary hint: did you update aida after installing
> aidacharts? If so, reloading AidaCharts could fix your pb.
>
> Nico

Re: WebCharts SOLVED

Rob Rothwell
Congratulations!  Now you can begin a flurry of new questions about how to actually do something instead of just getting it to work!

And yes, these are VERY nice charts.  It's not a hack; they look REALLY good!

Rob

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 9:42 AM, Francisco A. Lizarralde <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Nico and Rob,

Today I downloaded a fresh image [Squeak3.10.2-7179-basic] from
http://ftp.squeak.org/current_stable/, before I was using
[sq3.10.2-7179web09.02.1].

I loaded in it Sport2.031, Swazoo2.1, Aida5.6 and AidaCharts-np.6.

With this image all works fine, and the charts are awesome !!!

Thank you so much Nico and Rob, for your help.

Best regards,

Francisco

El lun, 09-03-2009 a las 00:55 +0100, nico escribió:
> A probably unnecessary hint: did you update aida after installing
> aidacharts? If so, reloading AidaCharts could fix your pb.
>
> Nico

Re: WebCharts SOLVED

Nicolas Petton
Le lundi 09 mars 2009 à 09:50 -0400, Rob Rothwell a écrit :
> Congratulations!  Now you can begin a flurry of new questions about
> how to actually do something instead of just getting it to work!
>
> And yes, these are VERY nice charts.  It's not a hack; they look
> REALLY good!

Thank you both ;)

Nico

> Rob
>
> On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 9:42 AM, Francisco A. Lizarralde
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>         Hi Nico and Rob,
>
>         Today I downloaded a fresh image [Squeak3.10.2-7179-basic]
>         from
>         http://ftp.squeak.org/current_stable/, before I was using
>         [sq3.10.2-7179web09.02.1].
>
>         I loaded in it Sport2.031, Swazoo2.1, Aida5.6 and
>         AidaCharts-np.6.
>
>         With this image all works fine, and the charts are awesome !!!
>
>         Thank you so much Nico and Rob, for your help.
>
>         Best regards,
>
>         Francisco
>
>         El lun, 09-03-2009 a las 00:55 +0100, nico escribió:
>         > A probably unnecessary hint: did you update aida after
>         installing
>         > aidacharts? If so, reloading AidaCharts could fix your pb.
>         >
>         > Nico
>         >

Re: WebElements composition

Janko Mivšek
Hello Alex,

Alex Baran pravi:

> If I understand correctly in Aida you can not do something like:
>
>    (WebImage image: self getImage)
> updateEverySeconds: 1;
> yourself
>
> instead WebElement methods should be used:
>
>      WebElement new
> addImage: self getImage;
> updateEverySeconds: 1;
> yourself
>
> I'm curious why you hide construction behind WebElement interface?
> I suppose that some interesting architectural points can be here, but
> I can not grasp them.

Such creation of new instance is quite common in Smalltalk, to ease and
simply the creation with all necessary initialization, sometimes also to
enforce that new project is properly initialized, like:

        MyClass newOn: someObject

In this case you will usually enforce a parent link to the someObject,
so that it will never happen to have an instance of MyClass without such
link.

It could be that a WebImage creation above could be better named to
reveal the intention better: WebImage newWithImage: and also renamed
somehow to clarify what a WebImage is different from the argument image.
Yes this is confusing, time to rename things a bit...

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web

Re: WebElements composition

Alex Baran
Hello Janko,

2009/3/13 Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]>:

> Hello Alex,
>
> Alex Baran pravi:
>
>> If I understand correctly in Aida you can not do something like:
>>
>>    (WebImage image: self getImage)
>>               updateEverySeconds: 1;
>>               yourself
>>
>> instead WebElement methods should be used:
>>
>>      WebElement new
>>               addImage: self getImage;
>>               updateEverySeconds: 1;
>>               yourself
>>
>> I'm curious why you hide construction behind WebElement interface?
>> I suppose that some interesting architectural points can be here, but
>> I can not grasp them.
>
> Such creation of new instance is quite common in Smalltalk, to ease and
> simply the creation with all necessary initialization, sometimes also to
> enforce that new project is properly initialized, like:
>
>        MyClass newOn: someObject
>
> In this case you will usually enforce a parent link to the someObject,
> so that it will never happen to have an instance of MyClass without such
> link.

Janko, thank you for clarification.
I found Aida interesting in a way when WebElement look for creation
method+app by inspecting context chain, with aim to reconstruct itself
later. But in WebElement>>new  only instances of WebElement's (not
subclasses) has ability to inspect stack:

WebElement new
    self == WebElement ifTrue: [instance setCreationMethod].

So WebImage creation above leave WebImage instance without knowledge
about app+method pair. Lately updateEverySeconds: can not get through
making ajax script.

Maybe I must always create elements by using WebElement as mediator?
But, I think the answer is no, because I met examples of creating
elements by using concrete classes here in the forum.

Best regards,
Alex Baran
12