WebResponse error

Karl Ramberg
This has been an issue on Windows for a long time.
When updating the image the first try always fails with this error.

See screenshot

Best,
Karl

bild.png

Re: WebResponse error

Hannes Hirzel
Hello Karl

Thank you for reporting this important bug.

I think this is a bug which is a show stopper for release 5.3.
Now or the moment :
https://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2834
(later on mantis if not fixed withing one or two weeks).

Are there more issues like this?

Regards
Hannes

On 9/9/19, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This has been an issue on Windows for a long time.
> When updating the image the first try always fails with this error.
>
> See screenshot
>
> Best,
> Karl
>

> [image: bild.png]

Re: WebResponse error

Levente Uzonyi
Hi Karl,

Does the error happen if you disable the "Use shared WebClient instance"
preference in the Monticello category?
Are you behind a proxy?
Do you have a firewall set up filtering outgoing requests?
Do you connect to a wifi network, which hijacks requests and forces you to
authenticate every once in a while?
Does the error happen on a non-windows OS from the same network?

The stack frame shown in the picture is unreleated to the problem. Is
anything readable from the stream instance variable when the error
happens?

Levente

On Mon, 9 Sep 2019, karl ramberg wrote:

> This has been an issue on Windows for a long time.
> When updating the image the first try always fails with this error.
>
> See screenshot
>
> Best,
> Karl
>

> bild.png

Re: WebResponse error

Karl Ramberg

Hi,

It's the same issue as this WebClient-Core-cbc.118.mcz

On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 12:06 AM Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Karl,

Does the error happen if you disable the "Use shared WebClient instance"
preference in the Monticello category?
This needs more testing. The error is sporadic but I think the issue could be related to this.
It seems the WebClient doesn't connect, and a retry get's it to connect.

Are you behind a proxy?
No
Do you have a firewall set up filtering outgoing requests?
No
Do you connect to a wifi network, which hijacks requests and forces you to
authenticate every once in a while?
No
Does the error happen on a non-windows OS from the same network?
No

The stack frame shown in the picture is unreleated to the problem. Is
anything readable from the stream instance variable when the error
happens?
I'll investigate this.

Best,
Karl

Levente

On Mon, 9 Sep 2019, karl ramberg wrote:

> This has been an issue on Windows for a long time.
> When updating the image the first try always fails with this error.
>
> See screenshot
>
> Best,
> Karl
>

> bild.png

Re: WebResponse error

Karl Ramberg
Here is the stream when it did not work.

Best,
Karl

On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 12:06 AM Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Karl,

Does the error happen if you disable the "Use shared WebClient instance"
preference in the Monticello category?
Are you behind a proxy?
Do you have a firewall set up filtering outgoing requests?
Do you connect to a wifi network, which hijacks requests and forces you to
authenticate every once in a while?
Does the error happen on a non-windows OS from the same network?

The stack frame shown in the picture is unreleated to the problem. Is
anything readable from the stream instance variable when the error
happens?

Levente

On Mon, 9 Sep 2019, karl ramberg wrote:

> This has been an issue on Windows for a long time.
> When updating the image the first try always fails with this error.
>
> See screenshot
>
> Best,
> Karl
>

> bild.png

stream (95K) Download Attachment

Re: WebResponse error

Karl Ramberg
Debug log

Best,
Karl

On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 12:06 AM Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Karl,

Does the error happen if you disable the "Use shared WebClient instance"
preference in the Monticello category?
Are you behind a proxy?
Do you have a firewall set up filtering outgoing requests?
Do you connect to a wifi network, which hijacks requests and forces you to
authenticate every once in a while?
Does the error happen on a non-windows OS from the same network?

The stack frame shown in the picture is unreleated to the problem. Is
anything readable from the stream instance variable when the error
happens?

Levente

On Mon, 9 Sep 2019, karl ramberg wrote:

> This has been an issue on Windows for a long time.
> When updating the image the first try always fails with this error.
>
> See screenshot
>
> Best,
> Karl
>

> bild.png

Debug.log (17K) Download Attachment

Re: WebResponse error

Karl Ramberg
I have not seen this error since I disabled preference "Use shared WebClient instance"
We should consider disabling that preference on Windows.
I'm not sure how to do platform specific preferences....

Best,
Karl

On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 9:23 PM karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
Debug log

Best,
Karl

On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 12:06 AM Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Karl,

Does the error happen if you disable the "Use shared WebClient instance"
preference in the Monticello category?
Are you behind a proxy?
Do you have a firewall set up filtering outgoing requests?
Do you connect to a wifi network, which hijacks requests and forces you to
authenticate every once in a while?
Does the error happen on a non-windows OS from the same network?

The stack frame shown in the picture is unreleated to the problem. Is
anything readable from the stream instance variable when the error
happens?

Levente

On Mon, 9 Sep 2019, karl ramberg wrote:

> This has been an issue on Windows for a long time.
> When updating the image the first try always fails with this error.
>
> See screenshot
>
> Best,
> Karl
>

> bild.png

Re: WebResponse error

Hannes Hirzel
On 9/14/19, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have not seen this error since I disabled preference "Use shared
> WebClient instance"
> We should consider disabling that preference on Windows.
> I'm not sure how to do platform specific preferences....

Maybe you open a new thread for this.

The search
https://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/search?search=platform+specific+preferences&casesensitive=false&and=true
gives 14 hits but
   platform specific preferences
is not in a title of a wiki page.

Best wishes
Hannes

Re: WebResponse error

Levente Uzonyi
Hi Karl,

I've changed the method a bit, and I expect some of the tweaks to fix the
issue.
I don't have an easy way to test it on Windows, so please load
Monticell-ul.701, or just update your Trunk image, reenable the
preference, and let me know if it helped or stayed the same.

Levente

On Sat, 14 Sep 2019, karl ramberg wrote:

> I have not seen this error since I disabled preference "Use shared WebClient instance"
> We should consider disabling that preference on Windows.
> I'm not sure how to do platform specific preferences....
>
> Best,
> Karl
>

> On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 9:23 PM karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>       Debug log
>
> Best,
> Karl
>

> On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 12:06 AM Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>       Hi Karl,
>
>       Does the error happen if you disable the "Use shared WebClient instance"
>       preference in the Monticello category?
>       Are you behind a proxy?
>       Do you have a firewall set up filtering outgoing requests?
>       Do you connect to a wifi network, which hijacks requests and forces you to
>       authenticate every once in a while?
>       Does the error happen on a non-windows OS from the same network?
>
>       The stack frame shown in the picture is unreleated to the problem. Is
>       anything readable from the stream instance variable when the error
>       happens?
>
>       Levente
>
>       On Mon, 9 Sep 2019, karl ramberg wrote:
>
>       > This has been an issue on Windows for a long time.
>       > When updating the image the first try always fails with this error.
>       >
>       > See screenshot
>       >
>       > Best,
>       > Karl
>       >
>       >
>       > bild.png
>       >
>       >
>       >
>       >
>       >

Re: WebResponse error

marcel.taeumel
Same. I just got the debugger and had to try again. :-(

Am 20.09.2019 01:55:19 schrieb Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]>:

Hi Karl,

I've changed the method a bit, and I expect some of the tweaks to fix the
issue.
I don't have an easy way to test it on Windows, so please load
Monticell-ul.701, or just update your Trunk image, reenable the
preference, and let me know if it helped or stayed the same.

Levente

On Sat, 14 Sep 2019, karl ramberg wrote:

> I have not seen this error since I disabled preference "Use shared WebClient instance"
> We should consider disabling that preference on Windows.
> I'm not sure how to do platform specific preferences....
>
> Best,
> Karl
>

> On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 9:23 PM karl ramberg wrote:
> Debug log
>
> Best,
> Karl
>

> On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 12:06 AM Levente Uzonyi wrote:
> Hi Karl,
>
> Does the error happen if you disable the "Use shared WebClient instance"
> preference in the Monticello category?
> Are you behind a proxy?
> Do you have a firewall set up filtering outgoing requests?
> Do you connect to a wifi network, which hijacks requests and forces you to
> authenticate every once in a while?
> Does the error happen on a non-windows OS from the same network?
>
> The stack frame shown in the picture is unreleated to the problem. Is
> anything readable from the stream instance variable when the error
> happens?
>
> Levente
>
> On Mon, 9 Sep 2019, karl ramberg wrote:
>
> > This has been an issue on Windows for a long time.
> > When updating the image the first try always fails with this error.
> >
> > See screenshot
> >
> > Best,
> > Karl
> >

> > bild.png

Re: WebResponse error

Levente Uzonyi
I presume you're on Windows.
Does it happen with https repositories only?

Levente