Webcharts now also print.

Herbert König
Hi everybody,

I will put the new mcz on mc.aidaweb.si as soon as I know how to.....

Ha! managed by reading the help. For complete history I added all
versions I created.

A few notes:
-your browser might keep old versions of any js library in its cache
so you might not see the effects after you install the new mcz.

-WebStyle and subclasses might cling to their resources (your recently
changed js libraries). I'm not sure if it's true but I had to send
initResources to the relevant instances to get changes to the browser.

Those two challenged my sanity :-))

-the site I found used flot which protochart is strongly inspired by
and everything I read about flot proved true in protochart.

-protochart has several interesting features (zooming diagrams, query
diagrams by clicking on data points) which are not accessible via
WebChart. I will implement those as I need them and will announce
here.

-I was surprised to find "Extras" "developer tools" (F12) in IE8 and
they seemed more intuitive for the novice (not reading docs) than
firebug. So debugging sites for IE in IE8 is nice, browsing sites with
webcharts in IE is dreadfully slow with some hundred data points.

Cheers,

Herbert                          mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Webcharts now also print.

Janko Mivšek
Hi Herbert,

Nice news, thank you a lot!

About WebStyle resource caching (and WebResource too), yes I also feel
we have some problem here. This caching algorithm need to be revised and
rethought.

About zooming an other features, how hard is that to support in Aida?
This need to be Ajax sent back to the server then Ajax updated, right?

Best regards
Janko

Herbert König pravi:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I will put the new mcz on mc.aidaweb.si as soon as I know how to.....
>
> Ha! managed by reading the help. For complete history I added all
> versions I created.
>
> A few notes:
> -your browser might keep old versions of any js library in its cache
> so you might not see the effects after you install the new mcz.
>
> -WebStyle and subclasses might cling to their resources (your recently
> changed js libraries). I'm not sure if it's true but I had to send
> initResources to the relevant instances to get changes to the browser.
>
> Those two challenged my sanity :-))
>
> -the site I found used flot which protochart is strongly inspired by
> and everything I read about flot proved true in protochart.
>
> -protochart has several interesting features (zooming diagrams, query
> diagrams by clicking on data points) which are not accessible via
> WebChart. I will implement those as I need them and will announce
> here.
>
> -I was surprised to find "Extras" "developer tools" (F12) in IE8 and
> they seemed more intuitive for the novice (not reading docs) than
> firebug. So debugging sites for IE in IE8 is nice, browsing sites with
> webcharts in IE is dreadfully slow with some hundred data points.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Herbert                          mailto:[hidden email]

Janko Mivšek
Svetovalec za informatiko
Eranova d.o.o.
Ljubljana, Slovenija
www.eranova.si
tel:  01 514 22 55
faks: 01 514 22 56
gsm: 031 674 565

Re: Webcharts now also print.

Herbert König
Hi Janko,

JM> Nice news, thank you a lot!

my pleasure, really. I enjoy to have this work.

JM> About zooming an other features, how hard is that to support in Aida?
JM> This need to be Ajax sent back to the server then Ajax updated, right?

Not sure what you're up to here but interested.

I think it is as easy as it was to add the texts to the x-axis. I will
definitely hack on selecting a datapoint in the chart, edit it the
conventional AIDA way (or select a segment between two points and
insert a newly created between them .... MicroAidaCAD). This will need
Ajax send and update. But I want to finish the umlaut thing and
prevent WebTABs from printing before. Need to get a few things out.

Zooming and clicking and display the clicked data are features that
just need to be enabled. Maybe a minimum of Javascript sent to the
browser once. These should not need the server at all if the server
doesn't care.

But you know the difference between reading something and making it
work so I may be wrong.

Barcharts a bit flexibilized (ignore the spell checker) make wonderful
Gantt diagrams. I gave up on Gjallar because they don't support
parallel processes but I created a morphic tool to graphically create
Gjallar processes. AIDA supports persons, (roles..?) and plotr (and
with those big similarities also AidaCharts) have the quick web graphics.

Be prepared to be pestered by BPM questions some day :-))

Cheers,

Herbert                            mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Webcharts now also print.

Nicholas Moore

Herbert,

excellent work - a great contribution.

You mention hundreds of data points - have you had any problems with build up of objects in the image and if so how did you release the various elements?

My problem is that I have been using WebGrid to display a directory of about 150 names and phone numbers. Three columns gives me 450 instances of WebText and each page refresh increments the count by 450. An onClickDo; associated with a cell adds another 450.

I have been scratching my head to find an elegant solution! - but all I have is a scratched head!

Nicholas

On Monday 06 July 2009 23:16:51 Herbert König wrote:

> Hi Janko,

> JM> Nice news, thank you a lot!

> my pleasure, really. I enjoy to have this work.

> JM> About zooming an other features, how hard is that to support in Aida?

> JM> This need to be Ajax sent back to the server then Ajax updated, right?

> Not sure what you're up to here but interested.

> I think it is as easy as it was to add the texts to the x-axis. I will

> definitely hack on selecting a datapoint in the chart, edit it the

> conventional AIDA way (or select a segment between two points and

> insert a newly created between them .... MicroAidaCAD). This will need

> Ajax send and update. But I want to finish the umlaut thing and

> prevent WebTABs from printing before. Need to get a few things out.

> Zooming and clicking and display the clicked data are features that

> just need to be enabled. Maybe a minimum of Javascript sent to the

> browser once. These should not need the server at all if the server

> doesn't care.

> But you know the difference between reading something and making it

> work so I may be wrong.

> Barcharts a bit flexibilized (ignore the spell checker) make wonderful

> Gantt diagrams. I gave up on Gjallar because they don't support

> parallel processes but I created a morphic tool to graphically create

> Gjallar processes. AIDA supports persons, (roles..?) and plotr (and

> with those big similarities also AidaCharts) have the quick web graphics.

> Be prepared to be pestered by BPM questions some day :-))

> Cheers,

> Herbert mailto:[hidden email]

Nicholas Moore
Limoges

France

Re: Webcharts now also print.

Herbert König
Hi Nicholas,

NM> excellent work - a great contribution.

thanks! Work was done by Nico I just debugged the underlying JS
libraries.

NM> You mention hundreds of data points - have you had any
NM> problems with build up of objects in the image and if so how did
NM> you release the various elements?

Webcharts (at least line + points) are about x y coordinates and these
are no problem for the image. Think Excel's diagram wizard. You send
just the points as string and what type of diagram you want and the
client's browser does the work. No WebElements except a single
WebChart plus a few legend texts.

NM> My problem is that I have been using WebGrid to display a
NM> directory of about 150  names and phone numbers. Three columns
NM> gives me 450 instances of WebText and each page refresh increments
NM> the count by 450. An onClickDo;  associated with a cell adds
NM> another 450.

That is a completely different beast. WebGrid offers paging by sending
it #rowsOnPage: anInteger.

Just try, it should dramatically reduce the instances. I would prefer
a scroller instead of clicking on a page number. But I never
investigated it seriously so I can't tell how the load is distributed
between Browser, image and network traffic.

I will have the same problem at a smaller scale when people will edit
one profile (less than 50 points, each two coordinates = less than 100
WebTexts). But people may have tens of profiles they will edit one
after the other.

So tell us whatever comes out of your experiments.