[Website] Updated Linux download instructions

[Website] Updated Linux download instructions

Marcus Denker-4
Hi,

I have updated the download instruction with the infos from

Here are the two pages:

for the 32 bit version I opted to list the package based installation first as the zip file is quite
complex (requiring manual setup).

TODO
- add a pointe to get.pharo.org
- add two to actually start Pharo for all cases.
- Check if some linux infos from http://pharo.org/download should not be better moved
          to the linux page.

Marcus

Re: [Website] Updated Linux download instructions

Marcus Denker-4

On 13 Dec 2017, at 11:22, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

I have updated the download instruction with the infos from

Here are the two pages:

for the 32 bit version I opted to list the package based installation first as the zip file is quite
complex (requiring manual setup).

TODO
- add a pointe to get.pharo.org
I added a section about zeroconf.

Marcus

Re: [Website] Updated Linux download instructions

Stephane Ducasse-3
Tx marcus.
It looks to me like a github project with small actionable todos :)

On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 11:22 AM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have updated the download instruction with the infos from
>
> https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/20799/Update-Linux-Download-instructions
>
> Here are the two pages:
>
> https://pharo.org/gnu-linux-installation-64
> https://pharo.org/gnu-linux-installation
>
> for the 32 bit version I opted to list the package based installation first
> as the zip file is quite
> complex (requiring manual setup).
>
> TODO
> - add a pointe to get.pharo.org
> - add two to actually start Pharo for all cases.
> - Check https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/20147/
> - Check if some linux infos from http://pharo.org/download should not be
> better moved
>           to the linux page.
>

> Marcus

Re: [Website] Updated Linux download instructions

Marcus Denker-4

> On 13 Dec 2017, at 12:52, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Tx marcus.
> It looks to me like a github project with small actionable todos :)

I do not understand.

> On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 11:22 AM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have updated the download instruction with the infos from
>>
>> https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/20799/Update-Linux-Download-instructions
>>
>> Here are the two pages:
>>
>> https://pharo.org/gnu-linux-installation-64
>> https://pharo.org/gnu-linux-installation
>>
>> for the 32 bit version I opted to list the package based installation first
>> as the zip file is quite
>> complex (requiring manual setup).
>>
>> TODO
>> - add a pointe to get.pharo.org
>> - add two to actually start Pharo for all cases.
>> - Check https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/20147/
>> - Check if some linux infos from http://pharo.org/download should not be
>> better moved
>>          to the linux page.
>>

>> Marcus

Re: [Website] Updated Linux download instructions

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Marcus Denker-4 wrote
> I have updated the download instruction…

Thanks!! This seems to have been a common pain point, for new users
especially.

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: [Website] Updated Linux download instructions

Stephan Eggermont-3
On 13-12-17 16:32, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:
> Marcus Denker-4 wrote
>> I have updated the download instruction…
>
> Thanks!! This seems to have been a common pain point, for new users
> especially.

And then a newer 32 bit Linux VM needs to be build and promoted to
stable as next point?

Stephan

Re: [Website] Updated Linux download instructions

Marcus Denker-4

> On 13 Dec 2017, at 16:32, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Marcus Denker-4 wrote
>> I have updated the download instruction…
>
> Thanks!! This seems to have been a common pain point, for new users
> especially.

Yes. What is missing is an action item for what to do to start Pharo after installing
it. It does not get clear in the description where it is installed with the package manager.

        Marcus

Re: [Website] Updated Linux download instructions

Marcus Denker-4

> On 13 Dec 2017, at 16:43, stephan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 13-12-17 16:32, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:
>> Marcus Denker-4 wrote
>>> I have updated the download instruction…
>> Thanks!! This seems to have been a common pain point, for new users
>> especially.
>
> And then a newer 32 bit Linux VM needs to be build and promoted to stable as next point?

Are any of these packages automatically build after we e.g. release a new Pharo6.1 image?

        Marcus