Webteam list is open

Chris Cunnington-3
I went into box2 and looked in the copious directories that are Mailman. I looked in the mbox for webteam list with mutt, which was the long way around to seeing my message has appeared in the archive webpage. I'm assuming it went out to members. The admin panel has opened up too.

The settings say Frank should have received a new member email. Provided that I don't have to personally vet every potential new member. Hmmm... 32 members. Alphabetical. No Shearar. No, it's by email so his listing would be under F. There is no F. I guess there're hasn't been a need for it so far.

I'm not sure where the "pending member" pen  or "accept all who want to register" switch is. It flaking again, so I guess that's it for now.

Chris

Re: [Box-Admins] Webteam list is open

Ken Causey-3
On 02/19/2014 02:15 PM, Chris Cunnington wrote:

> I went into box2 and looked in the copious directories that are
> Mailman. I looked in the mbox for webteam list with mutt, which was
> the long way around to seeing my message has appeared in the archive
> webpage. I'm assuming it went out to members. The admin panel has
> opened up too.
>
> The settings say Frank should have received a new member email.
> Provided that I don't have to personally vet every potential new
> member. Hmmm... 32 members. Alphabetical. No Shearar. No, it's by
> email so his listing would be under F. There is no F. I guess
> there're hasn't been a need for it so far.
>
> I'm not sure where the "pending member" pen  or "accept all who want
> to register" switch is. It flaking again, so I guess that's it for
> now.
>
> Chris

I'm not certain I understand the question but I will try.  If the
administrative address has been updated to point to you, or your address
has been added to the list of those who should receive administrative
requests, then you should receive an email with a link to authorize
Frank.  But the link is the same all the time so I can give it to you:

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/mailman/admindb/webteam

Ken

On Feb 19, 2014, at 3:37 PM, Ken Causey <[hidden email]> wrote:

then you should receive an email with a link to authorize Frank.

Yea, I'm not being clear. I'm not trying to make Frank an administrator. As an administrator I'm trying to look at the control panel and see if Frank has been registered. Which he has not.
He tried to join the list and is expecting an email of confirmation, which I understand he has not received.

I sent a message to the list, which has appeared in the archive page.

Sometimes the admin list appears after I give the password and sometimes it doesn't.

All this is made more complicated as I don't know where in the admin control panel I should look to see 1) if Frank's membership is awaiting my approval, or 2) where I could change an setting to accept anybody who wants to join the list ( so I don't have to approve their membership personally).

Somewhere in there I was playing with box2, an mbox, and mutt.

I was sort of mumbling in text, really.

On 02/19/2014 02:46 PM, Chris Cunnington wrote:

> On Feb 19, 2014, at 3:37 PM, Ken Causey <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>> then you should receive an email with a link to authorize Frank.
>
> Yea, I'm not being clear. I'm not trying to make Frank an administrator.
> As an administrator I'm trying to look at the control panel and see if
> Frank has been registered. Which he has not.
> He tried to join the list and is expecting an email of confirmation,
> which I understand he has not received.
>
> I sent a message to the list, which has appeared in the archive page.
>
> Sometimes the admin list appears after I give the password and sometimes
> it doesn't.
>
> All this is made more complicated as I don't know where in the admin
> control panel I should look to see 1) if Frank's membership is awaiting
> my approval, or 2) where I could change an setting to accept anybody who
> wants to join the list ( so I don't have to approve their membership
> personally).
>
> Somewhere in there I was playing with box2, an mbox, and mutt.
>
> I was sort of mumbling in text, really.
>
> Chris

After your comment yesterday regarding having tried to join the
box-admins list and this issue with Frank I began to wonder if there was
a problem.  So I tried joining the box-admins list with an alternate
address as a test.  Within seconds I got the email at my alternative
address asking me to confirm that I wanted to join the list.  Nothing
more will happen until the URL in that email is used.  If you visit that
URL and confirm that you want to join that will then add you to a
moderation queue (assuming the list does not allow open joining, I'm not
sure how the webteam list is setup in this regard).  At that point an
email should be sent to all email addresses setup to receive moderation
requests.  I confirmed and after a few more seconds I received the email
at my administrative email address to authorize the membership.  That
email contained a link much like the one I sent earlier, I visited it
and found my membership request, all as expected.  So it seems
everything is working as expected.  I think there must be some user
confusion somewhere.

Ken

<[hidden email]>> wrote:

[...]

I'm not sure. I tried to join the Webteam list with Chrome and Safari and they both just spin and spin. I suspect that's the problem Frank had too. The "subscribe" cgi-bin script (Python binary whatever) works, as you just proved it by joining box-team list. I'm not sure what to say. Maybe we should leave it for now. At any rate, there are some details in the webteam list archive from the email of mine that arrived. Do we make the box-team list the provisional webteam list? I'm sort of out of ideas at the moment.

Chris

Re: [Box-Admins] Webteam list is open

Tobias Pape
On 19.02.2014, at 22:33, Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Feb 19, 2014, at 4:04 PM, Ken Causey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 02/19/2014 02:46 PM, Chris Cunnington wrote:

>>> Yea, I'm not being clear. I'm not trying to make Frank an administrator.
>>> As an administrator I'm trying to look at the control panel and see if
>>> Frank has been registered. Which he has not.
>>> He tried to join the list and is expecting an email of confirmation,
>>> which I understand he has not received.
>>>
>>> I sent a message to the list, which has appeared in the archive page.
>>>
>>> Sometimes the admin list appears after I give the password and sometimes
>>> it doesn't.
>>>
>>> All this is made more complicated as I don't know where in the admin
>>> control panel I should look to see 1) if Frank's membership is awaiting
>>> my approval, or 2) where I could change an setting to accept anybody who
>>> wants to join the list ( so I don't have to approve their membership
>>> personally).
>>>
>>> Somewhere in there I was playing with box2, an mbox, and mutt.
>>>
>>> I was sort of mumbling in text, really.
>>>
>>> Chris
>>
>> After your comment yesterday regarding having tried to join the box-admins list and this issue with Frank I began to wonder if there was a problem.  So I tried joining the box-admins list with an alternate address as a test.  Within seconds I got the email at my alternative address asking me to confirm that I wanted to join the list.  Nothing more will happen until the URL in that email is used.  If you visit that URL and confirm that you want to join that will then add you to a moderation queue (assuming the list does not allow open joining, I'm not sure how the webteam list is setup in this regard).  At that point an email should be sent to all email addresses setup to receive moderation requests.  I confirmed and after a few more seconds I received the email at my administrative email address to authorize the membership.  That email contained a link much like the one I sent earlier, I visited it and found my membership request, all as expected.  So it seems everything is working as expected.  I think there must be some user confusion somewhere.
>>
>> Ken
>
> I'm not sure. I tried to join the Webteam list with Chrome and Safari and they both just spin and spin. I suspect that's the problem Frank had too. The "subscribe" cgi-bin script (Python binary whatever) works, as you just proved it by joining box-team list. I'm not sure what to say. Maybe we should leave it for now. At any rate, there are some details in the webteam list archive from the email of mine that arrived. Do we make the box-team list the provisional webteam list? I'm sort of out of ideas at the moment.
the html of mailman is severely outdated. perhaps that upsets the webkit browsers?

try mailing to [hidden email] with only subscribe in the subject.

Best
        -Tobias

signature.asc (1K) Download Attachment

On 02/19/2014 03:49 PM, Tobias Pape wrote:

> the html of mailman is severely outdated. perhaps that upsets the
> webkit browsers?
>
> try mailing to [hidden email] with only
> subscribe in the subject.
>
> Best -Tobias

No, I've just realized the problem.  The moderation queue is severely
clogged up with unprocessed moderation requests.  I'm simply going to
have to forcibly clear it and anyone who has tried to subscribe to the
webteam list should send another request.  Give me about 15 minutes.

Ken

On 02/19/2014 03:53 PM, Ken Causey wrote:

> On 02/19/2014 03:49 PM, Tobias Pape wrote:
>
>> the html of mailman is severely outdated. perhaps that upsets the
>> webkit browsers?
>>
>> try mailing to [hidden email] with only
>> subscribe in the subject.
>>
>> Best -Tobias
>>

> No, I've just realized the problem.  The moderation queue is severely
> clogged up with unprocessed moderation requests.  I'm simply going to
> have to forcibly clear it and anyone who has tried to subscribe to the
> webteam list should send another request.  Give me about 15 minutes.
>
> Ken

It appears that it is going to take more than 15 minutes.  I will let
you know it is ready.

Ken

On 02/19/2014 04:20 PM, Ken Causey wrote:

> On 02/19/2014 03:53 PM, Ken Causey wrote:
>> On 02/19/2014 03:49 PM, Tobias Pape wrote:
>>
>>> the html of mailman is severely outdated. perhaps that upsets the
>>> webkit browsers?
>>>
>>> try mailing to [hidden email] with only
>>> subscribe in the subject.
>>>
>>> Best -Tobias
>>>

>> No, I've just realized the problem.  The moderation queue is severely
>> clogged up with unprocessed moderation requests.  I'm simply going to
>> have to forcibly clear it and anyone who has tried to subscribe to the
>> webteam list should send another request.  Give me about 15 minutes.
>>
>> Ken
>
> It appears that it is going to take more than 15 minutes.  I will let
> you know it is ready.
>
> Ken

OK, the webteam moderation queue is now clear.

Ken

Re: [Box-Admins] Webteam list is open

Chris Cunnington-3
While I've been availing myself of cheap Chilean chardonnay, Ken has again solved the problem. If people would like now to register for the webteam list, please do.
For the past year I've received "bounce" emails which I routed to trash (15K emails listed in each). So, email doesn't stop when you leave GNU Mailman for, oh, a couple of years. The caches are now cleared.
All hail, Ken!

Chris

Re: [Box-Admins] Webteam list is open

Frank Shearar-3
On 19 February 2014 23:36, Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]> wrote:
> While I've been availing myself of cheap Chilean chardonnay, Ken has again solved the problem. If people would like now to register for the webteam list, please do.
> For the past year I've received "bounce" emails which I routed to trash (15K emails listed in each). So, email doesn't stop when you leave GNU Mailman for, oh, a couple of years. The caches are now cleared.
> All hail, Ken!

Hail!

Seriously, if everyone Ken helped out bought him a beer, he'd very
quickly fall over. Thanks, Ken!

frank