Weird behaviour under Windows

Richard Sargent
Administrator
Array
    with: Time millisecondClockValue
    with: Time microsecondClockValue

answers (8349703 4054735704)

8,000 seconds represents the approximate length of time since I rebooted my Windows machine. But I cannot explain the seconds portion of the microsecond clock time.

Can anyone shed light on these, and in particular why they seem to have no correlation? Is the microsecond value limited to 32 bits?

Re: Weird behaviour under Windows

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Richard,

Array
    with: Time millisecondClockValue
    with: Time microsecondClockValue

answers (8349703 4054735704)

8,000 seconds represents the approximate length of time since I rebooted my Windows machine. But I cannot explain the seconds portion of the microsecond clock time.

Can anyone shed light on these, and in particular why they seem to have no correlation? Is the microsecond value limited to 32 bits?

The Time microsecondClockValue does seem to be limited to a 32 bit value, it wraps somewhere in the 4 billion range.  Given that, it is hard to say the value means anything.  The Time millisecondClockValue is based on when your system was last booted and will wrap after about 49 days (if your system stays up that long).

Do you have some use for micro second accuracy?

Lou

On Wednesday, October 30, 2013 3:13:35 PM UTC-7, Louis LaBrunda wrote:
The Time microsecondClockValue does seem to be limited to a 32 bit value, it wraps somewhere in the 4 billion range.  Given that, it is hard to say the value means anything.  The Time millisecondClockValue is based on when your system was last booted and will wrap after about 49 days (if your system stays up that long).

Do you have some use for micro second accuracy?

Thanks, Lou.

I am porting our VW application to VA. It uses a VW microsecond clock value for random number generation. It seems this VA method will do a good job for the requirement.