Weird close button hover animation

fniephaus
Hi all,

I just downloaded the latest trunk build (Squeak5.3alpha-18491-64bit, see [1]) and noticed this weird hover animation:
button.gif

It seems that only the close buttons (in all system windows) are effected and I have no idea why and since when. Other buttons behave as usual.

Does anyone have an idea what this could be and how to fix it?

Fabio

Re: Weird close button hover animation

fniephaus
Yes, I'm using macOS. Forgot to mention that. Everything seems to work fine on Linux.
A quick binary search through old trunk bundles from [1] suggests that the problem was introduced in January. Hope I have some time to look into this in more detail soon.

Fabio

On Thu, Apr 18, 2019 at 2:38 PM K K Subbu <[hidden email]> wrote:
I couldn't reproduce it in my Squeak image (Ubuntu 16.04 64b). I see a
fading only when hovering over the X icon of a minimized window but it
doesn't flicker.

Is this on OS X?

Regards .. Subbu

On 18/04/19 1:32 AM, Fabio Niephaus wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just downloaded the latest trunk build (Squeak5.3alpha-18491-64bit,
> see [1]) and noticed this weird hover animation:
> button.gif
>
> It seems that only the close buttons (in all system windows) are
> effected and I have no idea why and since when. Other buttons behave as
> usual.
>
> Does anyone have an idea what this could be and how to fix it?
>
> Fabio
>

> [1] http://files.squeak.org/5.3alpha/Squeak5.3alpha-18491-64bit/

Re: Weird close button hover animation

Tim Johnson-2
Hi Fabio,

I have noticed this too.  Thanks for bringing it up.

I've done some research this morning and found that the problem seems to be brought on by Morphic-mt.1474.  It does not matter if one loads the follow-up update, Morphic-mt-1475, nor the companion update, System-mt.1051.

"
Name: Morphic-mt.1474
Author: mt
Time: 9 January 2019, 9:00:34.991737 am
UUID: 14bd0540-84ba-480a-9878-754c07a26db5
Ancestors: Morphic-tpr.1473

"

Note that for testing this, a new system window needs to be created:  loading this update will not effect already-existing windows.  (Though it might be my imagination, it /seems/ as if already-existing windows change their SystemWindowButton a /bit/ slower after loading this update...?)

I wonder why it effects Mac OS but not Linux.

Best,
Tim

PS – what did you use to create that animated GIF screenshot?  That was pretty nice, and showed up clearly in an email message.

Author: mt
Time: 9 January 2019, 9:00:34.991737 am
UUID: 14bd0540-84ba-480a-9878-754c07a26db5
Ancestors: Morphic-tpr.1473

"

Note that for testing this, a new system window needs to be created:  loading this update will not effect already-existing windows.  (Though it might be my imagination, it /seems/ as if already-existing windows change their SystemWindowButton a /bit/ slower after loading this update...?)

Thanks for looking into this. I should talk to Marcel (mt) next week :)

I wonder why it effects Mac OS but not Linux.

Good question!

Best,
Tim

PS – what did you use to create that animated GIF screenshot?  That was pretty nice, and showed up clearly in an email message.

I'm using LICEcap [1] for creating these kind of GIFs. :)

Cheers,
Fabio

On Apr 18, 2019, at 9:00 AM, Fabio Niephaus <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yes, I'm using macOS. Forgot to mention that. Everything seems to work fine on Linux.
A quick binary search through old trunk bundles from [1] suggests that the problem was introduced in January. Hope I have some time to look into this in more detail soon.

Fabio

On Thu, Apr 18, 2019 at 2:38 PM K K Subbu <[hidden email]> wrote:
I couldn't reproduce it in my Squeak image (Ubuntu 16.04 64b). I see a
fading only when hovering over the X icon of a minimized window but it
doesn't flicker.

Is this on OS X?

Regards .. Subbu

On 18/04/19 1:32 AM, Fabio Niephaus wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just downloaded the latest trunk build (Squeak5.3alpha-18491-64bit,
> see [1]) and noticed this weird hover animation:
> button.gif
>
> It seems that only the close buttons (in all system windows) are
> effected and I have no idea why and since when. Other buttons behave as
> usual.
>
> Does anyone have an idea what this could be and how to fix it?
>
> Fabio
>

> [1] http://files.squeak.org/5.3alpha/Squeak5.3alpha-18491-64bit/

Re: Weird close button hover animation

Chris Muller-3
If its related to resize grips, hopefully a fix will also fix that the
top side of windows can no longer be used for resizing.  It got broke
some time ago.

On Sat, Apr 20, 2019 at 11:18 PM Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
If its related to resize grips, hopefully a fix will also fix that the
top side of windows can no longer be used for resizing.  It got broke
some time ago.

I can confirm: after disabling the "Resize Windows along edges" preference, newly opened windows don't show the problem anymore.

Fabio

On Sat, Apr 20, 2019 at 10:16 AM Fabio Niephaus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 20, 2019 at 5:10 PM Tim Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Fabio,
>>
>> I have noticed this too.  Thanks for bringing it up.
>>
>> I've done some research this morning and found that the problem seems to be brought on by Morphic-mt.1474.  It does not matter if one loads the follow-up update, Morphic-mt-1475, nor the companion update, System-mt.1051.
>>
>> "
>> Name: Morphic-mt.1474
>> Author: mt
>> Time: 9 January 2019, 9:00:34.991737 am
>> UUID: 14bd0540-84ba-480a-9878-754c07a26db5
>> Ancestors: Morphic-tpr.1473
>>
>> Clean-up and bug fixes in resize grips. See http://forum.world.st/Please-Review-Some-updates-for-resize-grips-td5092584.html
>> "
>>
>> Note that for testing this, a new system window needs to be created:  loading this update will not effect already-existing windows.  (Though it might be my imagination, it /seems/ as if already-existing windows change their SystemWindowButton a /bit/ slower after loading this update...?)
>

> Thanks for looking into this. I should talk to Marcel (mt) next week :)
>

>> I wonder why it effects Mac OS but not Linux.
>

> Good question!
>

>> Best,
>> Tim
>>
>> PS – what did you use to create that animated GIF screenshot?  That was pretty nice, and showed up clearly in an email message.
>

> I'm using LICEcap [1] for creating these kind of GIFs. :)
>
> Cheers,
> Fabio
>
> [1] http://cockos.com/licecap/
>

>> On Apr 18, 2019, at 9:00 AM, Fabio Niephaus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, I'm using macOS. Forgot to mention that. Everything seems to work fine on Linux.
>> A quick binary search through old trunk bundles from [1] suggests that the problem was introduced in January. Hope I have some time to look into this in more detail soon.
>>
>> Fabio
>>
>> [1] http://files.squeak.org/5.3alpha
>>

>> On Thu, Apr 18, 2019 at 2:38 PM K K Subbu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I couldn't reproduce it in my Squeak image (Ubuntu 16.04 64b). I see a
>>> fading only when hovering over the X icon of a minimized window but it
>>> doesn't flicker.
>>>
>>> Is this on OS X?
>>>
>>> Regards .. Subbu

Re: Weird close button hover animation

Chris Muller-3
> I can confirm: after disabling the "Resize Windows along edges" preference, newly opened windows don't show the problem anymore.

I assume you meant to say after ENabling that preference.  But, the
problem occurs even when its enabled.  Not sure if it's the cause, but
I am running a slightly increased font size in the window title bar...

On Sun, Apr 21, 2019 at 4:57 AM Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I can confirm: after disabling the "Resize Windows along edges" preference, newly opened windows don't show the problem anymore.

I assume you meant to say after ENabling that preference.  But, the
problem occurs even when its enabled.  Not sure if it's the cause, but
I am running a slightly increased font size in the window title bar...

In a recent Squeak5.3alpha-18491-64bit, the preference is enabled by default, so I need to DISable it :)

Fabio

Re: Weird close button hover animation

fniephaus
Quick update: Marcel solved the problem with:
The buttons are much snappier now, too. Great!

Fabio