Weird packaging problem

tstalzer
Hi

We have an application which is split up into multiple ICs. In one tree, we have an leaf IC dependent on another leaf IC. Packaging is done in a passive image.

If we load the AbtDbmOdbcApp application in our active image, I am getting an error, that the class AbtOdbcBlobField is a duplicated object and the output of the IC stops with an exception.

The AbtDbmODBCApp is not in the prerequisite list. The classes are not included in the application.Without loading the application, packaging runs fine and the results are working as well.

Any ideas?

Regards

Thomas

Re: Weird packaging problem

Marten Feldtmann-2
In all these situation I've found (while driving crazy about this)  that there is already an IC, containing this class - even though I was not aware of this.

The only solution I've found so far was to manually trigger all packaging steps manually in the passive image - coming to the IC packaging instructions, where this error messages has been signaled.

The sad story here is, that the VASmalltalk code in this case normally only throws an exception - without any further information, which are urgently needed. Well, in these cases I aleays remember, that I changed the exception throwing method and look in the repository for the changed method.

Load it and redo the packaging process and then I get a more detailed error-message telling me, in which IC the original class has already been exported.

I am not sure, what the correct way then is: I normally press then "Default ICs" and redefine the packaging instructions for that faulty exporting IC.

Re: Weird packaging problem

tstalzer

??? - Do you have a VA extension for this behavior or how do you do it??

Am Freitag, 25. Mai 2012 11:29:41 UTC+2 schrieb Marten Feldtmann:
Load it and redo the packaging process and then I get a more detailed error-message telling me, in which IC the original class has already been exported.

Re: Weird packaging problem

Marten Feldtmann-2
No, that's boring manual work - and more or less a very time consuming task when this happens and it seems to happen regularly if I change the contents of my ICs - more or less a nightmare during development and no real tool support ....

Re: Weird packaging problem

tstalzer
Oh well, I got it solved by creating a new development image. There must have been some references to the classes so they got included in the system.

Am Freitag, 25. Mai 2012 13:42:00 UTC+2 schrieb Marten Feldtmann:
No, that's boring manual work - and more or less a very time consuming task when this happens and it seems to happen regularly if I change the contents of my ICs - more or less a nightmare during development and no real tool support ....

Re: Weird packaging problem

John O'Keefe-3
Thomas -

Having just gone through 'packaging hell' myself, I can offer some hints:
  • Always work with a clean development image -- this can be critical for reduced runtime packaging, but not so important for IC packaging since the packager itself 'cleans' everything in the IC.
  • Be absolutely sure your application prereqs are correct. The Transcript's Tools -> Query -> Out of scope references and the Application Manager's Prerequisites -> Explain Mismatched Prerequisites do a good, but not perfect job since both are doing only limited static analysis.
  • Don't package based on scratch editions of apps.
  • Make sure you accept all the prerequisite ICs in step 2 of the packager dialog. If the prerequisite ICs don't look right, see the next bullet.
  • Delete the old snapshots for the ICs you are packaging. This turns out to be what lifted me out of 'packaging hell'. The packager will, under conditions that I haven't figured out yet (the packager is really complicated code), use information from an old snapshot instead of information for a newer packaging instruction (which can cause exactly the symptom you were seeing).

John