Welcome to newcomers

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi guys

Since there are regularly new comers, here is a little ad-hoc welcome message :).

First: Welcome! welcome and welcome

Second: our goal is to create an ecosystem around pharo: if you need material to teach, if you have idea or needs for business or anything else just let us know. Our goal is to be able to reinvent our system and at the same time make sure that we can all create wealth at all levels.

Third: we are working hard to get our vision: a nice, little and powerful reflective system.
If you want to understand what we are doing please read the document Pharo vision on
http://www.pharo-project.org/community/consortium
You will understand our current effort.

Four: you can get an impact on Pharo :)
There are a lot of different ways to contribute.
        - feedback
        - bugs idea for enhancements see http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/list
        - book participation (we are working on deep into pharo http://rmod.lille.inria.fr/pbe2/
        - translation
        - adding comments
        - building great stuff
        - using packages….

So welcome.

Stef

PS: Pharo is not the end, Pharo is the mean to create a powerful clean, lean system with
a great community.

Re: Welcome to newcomers

Peter K.H. Gragert
Hallo,
nice, that you recognize newbies as me ;-)

Several questions I have:
I have meanwhile Pharo 1.4 (squeak, etoys, scratch) and NBCog on my PC
and an image which runs with squeak from http://www.preeminent.org/squeak/tut2007/html/
NBCog show too the Pharo-tower, question is it really Pharo?
As a friend says NBCog is several times 'faster' then ..., reason for trying NBCog (too).
Question, in NBCog, importing the Laser-Game code I get messages
like Deprecated:  Form subclass: #FormStub
    instanceVariableNames: 'locator'
    classVariableNames: ''
    poolDictionaries: ''
    category: 'Graphics-Display Objects''Deprecated14'

What should "Graphics-Display Objects" be, where is it replaced?
And I miss TextStyle.

Greetings
      Peter

2012/9/27 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
[...]

a great community.

Re: Welcome to newcomers

Igor Stasenko
On 27 September 2012 10:24, Peter K.H. Gragert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hallo,
> nice, that you recognize newbies as me ;-)
>
> Several questions I have:
> I have meanwhile Pharo 1.4 (squeak, etoys, scratch) and NBCog on my PC
> and an image which runs with squeak from
> http://www.preeminent.org/squeak/tut2007/html/
> NBCog show too the Pharo-tower, question is it really Pharo?
> As a friend says NBCog is several times 'faster' then ..., reason for trying
> NBCog (too).
> Question, in NBCog, importing the Laser-Game code I get messages
> like Deprecated:  Form subclass: #FormStub
>     instanceVariableNames: 'locator'
>     classVariableNames: ''
>     poolDictionaries: ''
>     category: 'Graphics-Display Objects''Deprecated14'
>
> What should "Graphics-Display Objects" be, where is it replaced?
> And I miss TextStyle.

NBCog is just a slightly modified Cog VM.
Basicaly it is a Cog VM + NativeBoost plugin.
The "faster" part comes from Cog , which has JIT.
Second, VM is not an image, so saying that something deprecated in
NBCog is incorrect,
because it is deprecated in image you using, and VM is completely
ignorant about such things.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: Welcome to newcomers

Peter K.H. Gragert
Hallo Igor,
Hmm, I do not understand totally ;-(
NBCog does not complain but the image it has loaded about
something which is 'Deprecated'?
Yes, probably, the used image complains about it?
If so, where could I download a 'good/starter/' image for  NBCog?
Or where and how could I read to build an image of my own?
(mingw32 available and cmake on Vista)...

Greetings
       Peter

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: Welcome to newcomers

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Peter,

On 27 Sep 2012, at 10:24, Peter K.H. Gragert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have meanwhile Pharo 1.4 (squeak, etoys, scratch) and NBCog on my PC
> and an image which runs with squeak from http://www.preeminent.org/squeak/tut2007/html/
> NBCog show too the Pharo-tower, question is it really Pharo?
> As a friend says NBCog is several times 'faster' then ..., reason for trying NBCog (too).
> Question, in NBCog, importing the Laser-Game code I get messages
> like Deprecated:  Form subclass: #FormStub
>     instanceVariableNames: 'locator'
>     classVariableNames: ''
>     poolDictionaries: ''
>     category: 'Graphics-Display Objects''Deprecated14'

The 'fast' bit has nothing to do with NBCog but everything to do with Cog itself, yes this is confusing. The NB part is really advanved stuff currently under development.

Just download the One-Click for Pharo 1.4 and you'll get the fast Cog (i.e. JIT) VM for free.

Now, and this can be very confusing for beginners, Pharo Smalltalk is not the same thing as Squeak, it is evolving much faster, possibly at the cost of backward compatibility. Running older code on top of Pharo will not always work and possibly raise Deprecation warnings. In particular, etoys or scratch won't just work, even just discussing everything involved is above beginner level.

That being said, hundreds of externals packages do just work.

What is it that want to do ?

Sven

--
Sven Van Caekenberghe
http://stfx.eu

Re: Welcome to newcomers

Peter K.H. Gragert
Thans Sven, for clarifying a lot.
Will stick to Pharo 1.4 ...
  Peter

2012/9/27 Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]>
Peter,

On 27 Sep 2012, at 10:24, Peter K.H. Gragert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have meanwhile Pharo 1.4 (squeak, etoys, scratch) and NBCog on my PC
> and an image which runs with squeak from http://www.preeminent.org/squeak/tut2007/html/
> NBCog show too the Pharo-tower, question is it really Pharo?
> As a friend says NBCog is several times 'faster' then ..., reason for trying NBCog (too).
> Question, in NBCog, importing the Laser-Game code I get messages
> like Deprecated:  Form subclass: #FormStub
>     instanceVariableNames: 'locator'
>     classVariableNames: ''
>     poolDictionaries: ''
>     category: 'Graphics-Display Objects''Deprecated14'

The 'fast' bit has nothing to do with NBCog but everything to do with Cog itself, yes this is confusing. The NB part is really advanved stuff currently under development.

Just download the One-Click for Pharo 1.4 and you'll get the fast Cog (i.e. JIT) VM for free.

Now, and this can be very confusing for beginners, Pharo Smalltalk is not the same thing as Squeak, it is evolving much faster, possibly at the cost of backward compatibility. Running older code on top of Pharo will not always work and possibly raise Deprecation warnings. In particular, etoys or scratch won't just work, even just discussing everything involved is above beginner level.

That being said, hundreds of externals packages do just work.

What is it that want to do ?

Sven

--
Sven Van Caekenberghe
http://stfx.eu
Smalltalk is the Red Pill

Re: Welcome to newcomers

Ginny Hendry
Stef-

Thanks for the welcome and for all the work you and others have done to make Pharo available.

I just started using it this week.  The documentation is very good and I'm enjoying SmallTalk programming but one very important and basic thing I haven't been able to find anywhere is:  How do I deploy an app to users?  I can send them the one-click image with my code in it, but I really don't want to tell the users that they have to open a workspace and type

LOGame new openInWorld
command-d

to start the app.  How do I set the image to run that when the .app or .sh is run?

It seems to me instructions for this should be linked to from the Documentation section on the pharo-project.org home page so new developers can get their apps out to users quickly.

Thanks.

   -Ginny

Re: Welcome to newcomers

Peter K.H. Gragert
To Ginny,
Though a newbie too, I think you have to make the window small with a
living LOGame, see picture.
(By the way I added a counter for the blue ...)

2012/9/27 Ginny Hendry <[hidden email]>
[...]

LOGame_small.jpg (120K) Download Attachment

Re: Welcome to newcomers

philippeback
ScriptLoader prepareForProduction for one.

Open you app on the system and make the window unclosable,
undestroyable (Morphic halos).

Save the image like that.

Alternatively, check the doc of StartupLoader and the samples on the class side.

Phil

2012/9/27 Peter K.H. Gragert <[hidden email]>:

> To Ginny,
> Though a newbie too, I think you have to make the window small with a
> living LOGame, see picture.
> (By the way I added a counter for the blue ...)
>
> 2012/9/27 Ginny Hendry <[hidden email]>
>>
>> Stef-
>>
>> Thanks for the welcome and for all the work you and others have done to
>> make Pharo available.
>>
>> I just started using it this week.  The documentation is very good and I'm
>> enjoying SmallTalk programming but one very important and basic thing I
>> haven't been able to find anywhere is:  How do I deploy an app to users?  I
>> can send them the one-click image with my code in it, but I really don't
>> want to tell the users that they have to open a workspace and type
>>
>> LOGame new openInWorld
>> command-d
>>
>> to start the app.  How do I set the image to run that when the .app or .sh
>> is run?
>>
>> It seems to me instructions for this should be linked to from the
>> Documentation section on the pharo-project.org home page so new developers
>> can get their apps out to users quickly.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>>    -Ginny

Re: Welcome to newcomers

LogiqueWerks
so much easier than stripping down an image yourself ...

Re: Welcome to newcomers

Thanks.
We are working on making sure that in the future you will be able to deploy applications with only
what is needed by construction but I will take time before getting there.
The work done by pavel on miniKernel and the work of guillermo around hazelnut and candlelight
are clearly experiments we want to benefit from.

Stef