Welcome to the Dolphin 6 Beta Programme

Andy Bower-3
Hello and welcome to the D6 Beta Programme,

If you can see this message then you have successfully connected to the
beta newsgroup. We'll use this group as a forum for discussion about D6
and any issues you may have with the software.

Best regards

Andy Bower
Dolphin Support
www.object-arts.com

Re: Welcome to the Dolphin 6 Beta Programme

Sean Malloy-11
> We'll use this group as a forum for discussion about D6
> and any issues you may have with the software.

Andy,

I have an issue with the software: I don't have it yet!

:)

Re: Welcome to the Dolphin 6 Beta Programme

Andy Bower-3
Sean,

> I have an issue with the software: I don't have it yet!

Yes, we know, we know. The delay has been, in part, caused by the idea
of getting the literal filer to replace the old resource mechanism in
the image. Basically, it has taken about a week to do this but the
change is now complete.

To some it may seem foolhardy making such an extreme change so close to
a beta release, however we judged it as being important enough to do
so. We needed to do it now (rather than after beta 1) to avoid
incompatible versions of D6 packages being confusing during the beta.

This is the current status:

1) 55 tests failing out of 3000.
2) Deploying our working image to a Dolphin Pro install doesn't work.
3) The installer is not ready.
4) The VC has had an overhaul and undo is not yet working and there are
minor bugs.

We'll make a judgement about which of these issues can be ignored for
the first beta. I hope we aren't that far now...

Best regards

Andy Bower
Dolphin Support
www.object-arts.com

Re: Welcome to the Dolphin 6 Beta Programme

Sean Malloy-11
> Yes, we know, we know. The delay has been, in part, caused by the idea
> of getting the literal filer to replace the old resource mechanism in
> the image. Basically, it has taken about a week to do this but the
> change is now complete.

Cool! The literal filter is a great idea, and it's fantastic that you guys
decided it was important enough to include in the product.

I know you guys are a small team, and it'll be done id style: "when it's
done"

I was only stirring ;)

Good news all round though

Re: Welcome to the Dolphin 6 Beta Programme

Esteban A. Maringolo-2
Andy Bower escribió:
> Sean,
>

>>I have an issue with the software: I don't have it yet!

This is definitively an issue, I don't have it either. ;-)

> Yes, we know, we know. The delay has been, in part, caused by the idea
> of getting the literal filer to replace the old resource mechanism in
> the image.
 > Basically, it has taken about a week to do this but the
> change is now complete.

Wow, my seed germinated. Thank you for the provision of fertile
ground and agriculture labor ;-).

> To some it may seem foolhardy making such an extreme change so close to
> a beta release, however we judged it as being important enough to do
> so. We needed to do it now (rather than after beta 1) to avoid
> incompatible versions of D6 packages being confusing during the beta.

One week is blazing speed to me. Then people say that "smalltalk is
slow". :-D

> This is the current status:
> 1) 55 tests failing out of 3000.
> 2) Deploying our working image to a Dolphin Pro install doesn't work.
> 3) The installer is not ready.
> 4) The VC has had an overhaul and undo is not yet working and there are
> minor bugs.

> We'll make a judgement about which of these issues can be ignored for
> the first beta. I hope we aren't that far now...

Great. We'll have to stay tuned.

Any other "trailer" ala IdeaSpace is available?

Best regards.

--
Esteban.

Re: Welcome to the Dolphin 6 Beta Programme

Shaping-2
"Sean Malloy" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
>> Yes, we know, we know. The delay has been, in part, caused by the idea
>> of getting the literal filer to replace the old resource mechanism in
>> the image. Basically, it has taken about a week to do this but the
>> change is now complete.
>
> Cool! The literal filter is a great idea, and it's fantastic that you guys
> decided it was important enough to include in the product.

Agreed.

Shaping