What Essays??

horrido
I am sorry to report that there has been very little activity on the essay front. No one seems willing to make the time to write an essay supporting the Smalltalk language.

I find it a little bit sad that people won't fight for the language they love so much. It's as if all the fight has been squeezed out of them. Why? Perhaps they feel dejected by all the previous failed attempts to popularize Smalltalk. It's understandable.

But I encourage you to think of Smalltalk Renaissance as a new day. This is a new type of opportunity. There is buzz in the cybersphere once again. People are visiting our websites.

You can, and must, help. Take this opportunity to address their concerns about Smalltalk. And reiterate the benefits. Convince them. You may or may not be successful, but at least you will have given your best effort.

Please understand:  Visitors to our websites who find nothing compelling may never return again. We only get one shot at this.

It doesn't require a great deal of time. Most of my posts for the SRP were written within an hour, at least, as a draft. I can polish your essay for you; hence, your contribution is not that demanding.

Don't make excuses. Either you love Smalltalk, or you don't. Fight for what you love.

Re: What Essays??

Stephan Eggermont-3
Hi Richard,

It is probably hard to see from 10000 miles away, but we have been
quite busy promoting Smalltalk recently. Pharo Days last thursday and
friday and the Smalltalk Devroom at Fosdem last sunday take up
a significant amount of time. Priorities

Stephan

Re: What Essays??

Ben Coman

On Fri, Feb 6, 2015 at 4:59 AM, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Richard,

It is probably hard to see from 10000 miles away, but we have been
quite busy promoting Smalltalk recently. Pharo Days last thursday and
friday and the Smalltalk Devroom at Fosdem last sunday take up
a significant amount of time. Priorities

Stephan

Stephan,

Here is a reference...

Richard,

It might be good for the proposed essay list to be re-posted direct to this mail list

btw, I think the chosen topics are good but also they are tough (hence why they are good questions) and maybe hard for an individual to be motivated to do if its not a current "burning" topic for them.  Elsewhere you mention the potential problem with Pharo of assuming "build it and they will come" and perhaps there is a parallel with your Smalltalk Renaissance effort to get others to produce the essays.  A parallel approach might break up the essays into a series of smaller questions that can be answered with less immediate time commitment, that you can aggregate into an essay.  Perhaps searching around old & current discussions for people eloquent on these topics, then engaging the individuals in discussion on that lead to a collaboration on an essay.

Keep pushing.
cheers -ben