What about a "real" research group (was: Do you want to discuss about papers?)

What about a "real" research group (was: Do you want to discuss about papers?)

cedreek
I'm ok for such a list...

Nevertheless, I'm wondering if we could go a bit further by doing a kind of research group with a proper web site listing all people involved and the projects there're working on. We could then establish some categories and eventually sub-groups. List all published papers, gives ressources to people...

We could also have a workshop every year (in ESUG or eventually independantly). More importantly than discussions on papers, I think we need to characterise people and their "expertise" area...

For instance, I'm interested in some areas that are not really focussed in Computer Science problematics (new compiler, traits, etc...).

To me Smalltalk is the vehicle (a fun one) to experiment my research stuffs. Here are some areas I'm working on:
-Case Based Reasoning - essentially similarity measure with uncertainty
-Constraint Satisfaction Programming (more interested in open models) and especially the coupling between CBR and CSP
-NARS, a kind of General AI (logical stuff)
-Dynamic open models in general  -> Coevolution of model and their instances (something I'd really like to dig into)
-Modeling Imperfect Information, ie. incomplete, uncertain, umprecise (-> so as to model expert information) - I would like to apply that to poker game in the future :) - This is maybe the central aspect of my work

Here is a quick list of what I do or plan to do... Having a central web site would be excellent for visibility (of course a mailing can be setup too), both for Smalltalk and for people doing research with it.

What others think ?
Would you be ok for a central wiki where each person describe in one page what their research is, what their future projects are, what they need are... We could gather all confs calls that are potentially interesting...  Of course this need some setup and reflexion to structure the group/website but I think it worth it... And count me in if people like the idea.

Cédrick

Re: What about a "real" research group (was: Do you want to discuss about papers?)

Stéphane Ducasse

On Feb 3, 2010, at 1:18 PM, Cédrick Béler wrote:

> I'm ok for such a list...
>
> Nevertheless, I'm wondering if we could go a bit further by doing a kind of research group with a proper web site listing all people involved and the projects there're working on. We could then establish some categories and eventually sub-groups. List all published papers, gives ressources to people...
>
> We could also have a workshop every year (in ESUG or eventually independantly). More importantly than discussions on papers, I think we need to characterise people and their "expertise" area...
>
> For instance, I'm interested in some areas that are not really focussed in Computer Science problematics (new compiler, traits, etc...).
>
> To me Smalltalk is the vehicle (a fun one) to experiment my research stuffs. Here are some areas I'm working on:
> -Case Based Reasoning - essentially similarity measure with uncertainty
> -Constraint Satisfaction Programming (more interested in open models) and especially the coupling between CBR and CSP
> -NARS, a kind of General AI (logical stuff)
> -Dynamic open models in general  -> Coevolution of model and their instances (something I'd really like to dig into)
> -Modeling Imperfect Information, ie. incomplete, uncertain, umprecise (-> so as to model expert information) - I would like to apply that to poker game in the future :) - This is maybe the central aspect of my work

I would really like to see how we can map that to do software analysis

> Here is a quick list of what I do or plan to do... Having a central web site would be excellent for visibility (of course a mailing can be setup too), both for Smalltalk and for people doing research with it.

for the moment having it low profile is also a good way.

> What others think ?
> Would you be ok for a central wiki where each person describe in one page what their research is, what their future projects are, what they need are... We could gather all confs calls that are potentially interesting...  Of course this need some setup and reflexion to structure the group/website but I think it worth it... And count me in if people like the idea.

Yes something like lambda the ultimate

> Cédrick

Re: What about a "real" research group (was: Do you want to discuss about papers?)

Mariano Martinez Peck
Cédrick:  I like the idea, however, I think your idea may be a "consequence" of my idea. You can do all steps at the same time, but I rather go step by step. We first create the list, we create a group, we join people, we discuss, we learn, and after that, eventually it will naturally arrive a moment where we want to have our own real group.

So...I will create the list right now :)

Mariano

2010/2/3 Cédrick Béler <[hidden email]>
I'm ok for such a list...

Nevertheless, I'm wondering if we could go a bit further by doing a kind of research group with a proper web site listing all people involved and the projects there're working on. We could then establish some categories and eventually sub-groups. List all published papers, gives ressources to people...

We could also have a workshop every year (in ESUG or eventually independantly). More importantly than discussions on papers, I think we need to characterise people and their "expertise" area...

For instance, I'm interested in some areas that are not really focussed in Computer Science problematics (new compiler, traits, etc...).

To me Smalltalk is the vehicle (a fun one) to experiment my research stuffs. Here are some areas I'm working on:
-Case Based Reasoning - essentially similarity measure with uncertainty
-Constraint Satisfaction Programming (more interested in open models) and especially the coupling between CBR and CSP
-NARS, a kind of General AI (logical stuff)
-Dynamic open models in general  -> Coevolution of model and their instances (something I'd really like to dig into)
-Modeling Imperfect Information, ie. incomplete, uncertain, umprecise (-> so as to model expert information) - I would like to apply that to poker game in the future :) - This is maybe the central aspect of my work

Here is a quick list of what I do or plan to do... Having a central web site would be excellent for visibility (of course a mailing can be setup too), both for Smalltalk and for people doing research with it.

What others think ?
Would you be ok for a central wiki where each person describe in one page what their research is, what their future projects are, what they need are... We could gather all confs calls that are potentially interesting...  Of course this need some setup and reflexion to structure the group/website but I think it worth it... And count me in if people like the idea.

Cédrick

Re: What about a "real" research group (was: Do you want to discuss about papers?)

cedreek

> Here is a quick list of what I do or plan to do... Having a central web site would be excellent for visibility (of course a mailing can be setup too), both for Smalltalk and for people doing research with it.

for the moment having it low profile is also a good way.

What do you mean by low-profile... only a mailing-list ? or a small site with minimum information and link to personnal web sites ?

> What others think ?
> Would you be ok for a central wiki where each person describe in one page what their research is, what their future projects are, what they need are... We could gather all confs calls that are potentially interesting...  Of course this need some setup and reflexion to structure the group/website but I think it worth it... And count me in if people like the idea.

Yes something like lambda the ultimate

:)  I would nevertheless choose a name with smalltalk and research or academic keywords for visibility purpose :)

> Cédrick

Cédrick

Re: What about a "real" research group (was: Do you want to discuss about papers?)

cedreek

Cédrick:  I like the idea, however, I think your idea may be a "consequence" of my idea.

side note: This is not really my idea but an idea ;)  ideas are in the air :))

You can do all steps at the same time, but I rather go step by step. We first create the list, we create a group, we join people, we discuss, we learn, and after that, eventually it will naturally arrive a moment where we want to have our own real group.

yes I agree.
I just wanted to point out a simple wiki at first could be cool too. Just to see a brief presentation of people...

So...I will create the list right now :)

yes that's cool :) Let see how it goes...

[...]

SergeStinckwich
2010/2/3 Cédrick Béler <[hidden email]>:
> I'm ok for such a list...
> Nevertheless, I'm wondering if we could go a bit further by doing a kind of
> research group with a proper web site listing all people involved and the
> projects there're working on. We could then establish some categories and
> eventually sub-groups. List all published papers, gives ressources to
> people...

Start simply by discussions on the mailing-list ;-)

> We could also have a workshop every year (in ESUG or eventually
> independantly). More importantly than discussions on papers, I think we need
> to characterise people and their "expertise" area...
> For instance, I'm interested in some areas that are not really focussed in
> Computer Science problematics (new compiler, traits, etc...).
> To me Smalltalk is the vehicle (a fun one) to experiment my research stuffs.
> Here are some areas I'm working on:
> -Case Based Reasoning - essentially similarity measure with uncertainty
> -Constraint Satisfaction Programming (more interested in open models) and
> especially the coupling between CBR and CSP
> -NARS, a kind of General AI (logical stuff)
> -Dynamic open models in general  -> Coevolution of model and their instances
> (something I'd really like to dig into)
> -Modeling Imperfect Information, ie. incomplete, uncertain, umprecise (-> so
> as to model expert information) - I would like to apply that to poker game
> in the future :) - This is maybe the central aspect of my work
> Here is a quick list of what I do or plan to do... Having a central web site
> would be excellent for visibility (of course a mailing can be setup too),
> both for Smalltalk and for people doing research with it.
> What others think ?

I'm also interested by representing uncertainty and probabilistic
programming mainly for robotic applications.

--
Serge Stinckwich
http://doesnotunderstand.org/