What are slices?

senTalker
Hello all,

I have some basic questions regarding "slices".

On the pharo-project list I see people collaborating the whole time
with "slices" (or uploading them).

* What are they?
* How are they used?
* When to use them, when not?

Thanks in advance!

Sebastian

Re: What are slices?

Camillo Bruni-3

see http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/HowToContribute

> * What are they?
> * How are they used?
> * When to use them, when not?

I don't know exactly what is written there :) but we prefer slices over changesets.
Changesets should only be used in special cases where slices won't work. Which
is generally the case when changing something in the very core.

Usually we have a script that does a sanity check for the incoming slices on the
issue tracker called "the monkey". Currently it is out of service, but we will
revive it soon. So with this script we can almost fully automatize the integration
process.

I hope that this answers most of your questions?

best
cami

Re: What are slices?

senTalker
2012/12/4 Camillo Bruni <[hidden email]>:
> see http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/HowToContribute
>
> I don't know exactly what is written there :) but we prefer slices over changesets.
> Changesets should only be used in special cases where slices won't work. Which
> is generally the case when changing something in the very core.

I read the wiki page and tried it out myself.

> Usually we have a script that does a sanity check for the incoming slices on the
> issue tracker called "the monkey".

THAT was the famous monkey!!!

> I hope that this answers most of your questions?

Yes. I think I understood the concept: mcz that points to other mcz's,
which you use to snapshot a part of the image and integrate into your
development process.

Thanks for the answers!

Seb.