What can I say about Multimedia

Gary Dunn-2
This is with regards to my "How to Make a Book" book, built using a
book morph. What can I say about multimedia at this time? In the past
there appears to have been support for video playback, but I do not
see that in the current version. I understand the problems associated
with patented codecs, copy protected media files and proprietary
formats; I'm talking about the ability to display video from a common
CamCorder, Flip, or cell phone. Not YouTube, or Hulu, just self-made
movies. And where are we with audio? MP3 playback? Linear PCM stereo
(WAV format)? QuickTime?

--
Gary Dunn
Honolulu

Re: What can I say about Multimedia

Frank Shearar-3
On 13 July 2011 00:10, Gary Dunn <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This is with regards to my "How to Make a Book" book, built using a
> book morph. What can I say about multimedia at this time? In the past
> there appears to have been support for video playback, but I do not
> see that in the current version. I understand the problems associated
> with patented codecs, copy protected media files and proprietary
> formats; I'm talking about the ability to display video from a common
> CamCorder, Flip, or cell phone. Not YouTube, or Hulu, just self-made
> movies. And where are we with audio? MP3 playback? Linear PCM stereo
> (WAV format)? QuickTime?

Hi Gary,

Just for those with short memories (like myself), do you mean the
state of play within Squeak (say, Trunk) or more generally? Are you
asking about OpenSophie, for instance?

frank

Re: What can I say about Multimedia

Brad Fuller-4
Through the years there were a variety of classes for audio: wave,
mp3, I think ogg as well - but like Frank, my memory is not so good.
Need to look at my old email. The video playback was MPEG1, I believe.

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 01:55, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 13 July 2011 00:10, Gary Dunn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> This is with regards to my "How to Make a Book" book, built using a
>> book morph. What can I say about multimedia at this time? In the past
>> there appears to have been support for video playback, but I do not
>> see that in the current version. I understand the problems associated
>> with patented codecs, copy protected media files and proprietary
>> formats; I'm talking about the ability to display video from a common
>> CamCorder, Flip, or cell phone. Not YouTube, or Hulu, just self-made
>> movies. And where are we with audio? MP3 playback? Linear PCM stereo
>> (WAV format)? QuickTime?
>
> Hi Gary,
>
> Just for those with short memories (like myself), do you mean the
> state of play within Squeak (say, Trunk) or more generally? Are you
> asking about OpenSophie, for instance?
>
> frank

Re: What can I say about Multimedia

Gary Dunn-2
My current view is as someone wanting to implement my book making
guidelines. I would prefer they only have to install a current Squeak
and find "MoviePlayer" on the Multimedia tab on the Objects flap,
along side ScorePlayer and MP3Player. Drag one out and drop it on a
bookmorph page. Bring up a halo and from the red button menu select
"choose file to play" and select from the list. After that, either the
movie plays when the play button is pressed, or it can be set to play
when the page opens. Or when some action triggers it.

If that capability exists in another project and the licensing permits
it, I guess I could create an Open Slate image that includes it,
perhaps with a few tweaks. So I am interested in that solution, too.

--
Gary Dunn
Honolulu

Re: What can I say about Multimedia

Bert Freudenberg
On 14.07.2011, at 04:40, Gary Dunn wrote:

> My current view is as someone wanting to implement my book making
> guidelines. I would prefer they only have to install a current Squeak
> and find "MoviePlayer" on the Multimedia tab on the Objects flap,
> along side ScorePlayer and MP3Player. Drag one out and drop it on a
> bookmorph page. Bring up a halo and from the red button menu select
> "choose file to play" and select from the list. After that, either the
> movie plays when the play button is pressed, or it can be set to play
> when the page opens. Or when some action triggers it.
>
> If that capability exists in another project and the licensing permits
> it, I guess I could create an Open Slate image that includes it,
> perhaps with a few tweaks. So I am interested in that solution, too.

There are bits and pieces, but none that work on all platforms. Which is a pity.

- Bert -