What copyright to use... / Glorp-Fuel interface

What copyright to use... / Glorp-Fuel interface

Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list
Hi All.

I have decided to share with the community some tools we developed at Debris Publishing, Inc., to simplify project start-up with regard to database access. In particular, the tools allow you to use the Glorp interface on Pharo (or Gemstone) writing to Fuel files on the backend, or SIXX, or native stones for gemstone. This also provides a data-migration tool between the two environments. We have successfully backed our app by Fuel, Gemstone, and some sections by SQL. Furthermore, the approaches can co-exist.

Right out-of-the-box one can start using a Glorp interface saving data to Fuel files on a local disk. I'll write up more material and make some videos. There are a few demo test modules illustrating usage.

[I had to extricated the code from our user login, roles, and datasources start-up code to draw a line somewhere; but that also meant temporarily breaking the compatibility between Gemstone and Pharo environments. With time, and/or community input, we can help replace what we removed or push these tools in that direction in the following months -- but are rather busy in the short-term. Still, this can get newbs up and running in no-time! ]

So my question is this: i plan to apply the MIT License, and my intent is to allow others to help fatten it up. But what copyright do I apply? When corporations contribute code to the community, what is the standard approach to the copyright, given my intention here?

Thanks in advance.
Sincerely,
Cam

Re: What copyright to use... / Glorp-Fuel interface

jgfoster
Hi Cam,

Glad to hear of your project and your plans to make it available to the community. As to the copyright approach, see http://choosealicense.com/licenses/mit/. If the code was developed by employees of your company as part of their job, use “Debris Publishing, Inc.” as the [fullname].

Basically, the owner is the one who has the authority to make a decision on the license. As between the employer and the employees, the ownership of the work product will typically be with the employer. The license (if selected by the appropriate party as owner) tells others what they can do with the code. There is no need for your to “donate” the ownership to anyone else, as long as the rightful owner makes a good license choice (such as MIT).

If you plan to contribute directly to Pharo (as opposed to having a library that can be loaded into Pharo), then you should follow the instructions at https://pharo.fogbugz.com/?W68, including sending in a signed copy of the Software Distribution Agreement.

James