What do you call someone who writes Amber?

What do you call someone who writes Amber?

horrido
Amberite?

Amberist?

Amberine?

Amberer (God, no!)

I propose something exotic:  Amberlain.

Go has Gopher (yuk?).

Dart has Dartisan (nice).

Smalltalk has Smalltalker (meh).

Ruby has Rubyist.

Python has Pythonista (very nice).

Would JavaScript have JavaScriptor?

What's a Java user?? Jarhead?

Re: What do you call someone who writes Amber?

sebastianconcept
I was already calling us Amberians :)

from mobile

On 26/12/2014, at 23:21, Richard Eng <[hidden email]> wrote:

Amberite?

Amberist?

Amberine?

Amberer (God, no!)

I propose something exotic:  Amberlain.

Go has Gopher (yuk?).

Dart has Dartisan (nice).

Smalltalk has Smalltalker (meh).

Ruby has Rubyist.

Python has Pythonista (very nice).

Would JavaScript have JavaScriptor?

What's a Java user?? Jarhead?

Re: What do you call someone who writes Amber?

philippeback
Amberan then :-)

Like in "Spartan" "do more with less"

Phil

On Sat, Dec 27, 2014 at 3:41 PM, sebastian <[hidden email]> wrote:
sure, I would use that, yeah :)

On Dec 27, 2014, at 11:11 AM, Richard Eng <[hidden email]> wrote:

That seems a bit awkward to pronounce. How about Amberan?

On Saturday, 27 December 2014 07:40:23 UTC-5, Sebastian Sastre wrote:
I was already calling us Amberians :)

from mobile

On 26/12/2014, at 23:21, Richard Eng <horrido...@gmail.com> wrote:

Amberite?

Amberist?

Amberine?

Amberer (God, no!)

I propose something exotic:  Amberlain.

Go has Gopher (yuk?).

Dart has Dartisan (nice).

Smalltalk has Smalltalker (meh).

Ruby has Rubyist.

Python has Pythonista (very nice).

Would JavaScript have JavaScriptor?

What's a Java user?? Jarhead?

---
Philippe Back
Visible Performance Improvements
Mob: +32(0) 478 650 140 | Fax: +32 (0) 70 408 027
Blog: http://philippeback.be | Twitter: @philippeback

High Octane SPRL
rue cour Boisacq 101 | 1301 Bierges | Belgium

Pharo Consortium Member - http://consortium.pharo.org/
Featured on the Software Process and Measurement Cast - http://spamcast.libsyn.com
Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect and Ability Engineering EADocX Value Added Reseller

Re: What do you call someone who writes Amber?

Manfred Kröhnert

to me, Amberian would be an option but not Amberan

Personally I feel like Amberan sounds a bit clumsy.

Best,
Manfred

On Sat, Dec 27, 2014 at 2:11 PM, Richard Eng <[hidden email]> wrote:
That seems a bit awkward to pronounce. How about Amberan?

On Saturday, 27 December 2014 07:40:23 UTC-5, Sebastian Sastre wrote:
I was already calling us Amberians :)

from mobile

On 26/12/2014, at 23:21, Richard Eng <[hidden email]> wrote:

Amberite?

Amberist?

Amberine?

Amberer (God, no!)

I propose something exotic:  Amberlain.

Go has Gopher (yuk?).

Dart has Dartisan (nice).

Smalltalk has Smalltalker (meh).

Ruby has Rubyist.

Python has Pythonista (very nice).

Would JavaScript have JavaScriptor?

What's a Java user?? Jarhead?

Re: What do you call someone who writes Amber?

Herby Vojčík
I've got problem with Amberan as well. If we're at grammar, Spartan is written as such because Sparta ends with a wovel. Is the land of Amber users called "Ambera" (seems unlikely)? So if it should look like citizen or a land, how is the land called could be the prerequisite answer. If it should look like a class / occupation, inspiration can be drawn from there as well (barista was already taken by Python, not that they have exclusive right to it, smith can lead to Amberith, wright can lead to Amberight / Ambright).

Richard Eng <[hidden email]>napísal/a:

[...]

Actually, I must say that "Amberith" appeals to me. It's novel. Although speaking out the plural does seem slightly awkward:  Amberiths.

Richard Eng <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="dDqPDhprNVUJ" onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;">horrido...@...>napísal/a:

[...]

I now realize that the proper naming should be "Ambersmith", as in goldsmith or silversmith. This sounds pretty good to me, actually.

Let's make a decision soon. Once we settle on a name, then I can use it in my public discourse.

Let's have a sort of poll here. Over the next couple of weeks, everyone submit their suggestions for a name. I'll count the number of "upvotes". (Is there a better way to conduct a poll here??)

On Saturday, 27 December 2014 23:50:50 UTC-5, Richard Eng wrote:
[...]

I agree. Just as a goldsmith fashions gold into jewelry and ornate cups and bottles, and a silversmith does the same, an Ambersmith works with Amber to build beautiful objects. (It's a play on the word "amber", too, where you can fashion amber into jewelry and stuff.)

This is a unique opportunity. No other language could adopt a similar name. You can't have a Javasmith or a Pythonsmith or a Scalasmith or a Haskellsmith. A Rubysmith? A Luasmith or an Erlangsmith? Forget it!

On Dec 28, 2014 2:28 PM, "kilon alios" <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="kd0pEi_gPNoJ" onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;">kilon...@...> wrote:

On Sun, Dec 28, 2014 at 3:17 PM, Richard Eng <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="kd0pEi_gPNoJ" onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;">horrido...@...> wrote: