What exactly is Pier?

David Zmick
I feel a little bit stupid asking, but what exactly is Pier? What is it for? and, where can I find a good tutorial for using it, if it is something I would like to know how to use?

--
David Zmick
/dz0004455\

What exactly is Pier?

David Zmick
I feel a little bit stupid asking, but what exactly is Pier? What is it for? and, where can I find a good tutorial for using it, if it is something I would like to know how to use?

Re: What exactly is Pier?

cedreek
Pier is a CMS a la seaside...

You'll find some basic information there:
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch/smalltalk/pier

hth

Cédrick

2008/8/14 David Zmick <[hidden email]>:

> I feel a little bit stupid asking, but what exactly is Pier? What is it for?
> and, where can I find a good tutorial for using it, if it is something I
> would like to know how to use?
>
> --
> David Zmick
> /dz0004455\
> http://dz0004455.googlepages.com
> http://dz0004455.blogspot.com

Re: What exactly is Pier?

Lukas Renggli
Pier is included with the Seaside One-Click Image and with Damien's
Web-Dev images. To see Pier in action start up one of these images and
point the web browser to to:

     http://localhost:8080/seaside/pier

There are dozens of plugins that you can load and integrate. You find
all existing  documentation linked on my web-site. I would start with
the following one, that gives a short overview:

    http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~scg/Archive/Reports/Reng07c.pdf

Cheers,
Lukas

On 8/14/08, cdrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>  Pier is a CMS a la seaside...
>
>  You'll find some basic information there:
>  http://www.lukas-renggli.ch/smalltalk/pier
>
>  hth
>
>  Cédrick
>

>  2008/8/14 David Zmick <[hidden email]>:
>
> > I feel a little bit stupid asking, but what exactly is Pier? What is it for?
>  > and, where can I find a good tutorial for using it, if it is something I
>  > would like to know how to use?
>  >
>  > --
>  > David Zmick
>  > /dz0004455\
>  > http://dz0004455.googlepages.com
>  > http://dz0004455.blogspot.com
>  >

Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: What exactly is Pier?

David Zmick
So, i am begining to figure this out, but I have a question.  How do I hide the command section of the sidebar for certain people, I want to have it when I am working on the site, but not when visitors are there, and, the version included with the squeak-web image is older or newer than the version in the videos on your site?

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 3:14 PM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
Pier is included with the Seaside One-Click Image and with Damien's
Web-Dev images. To see Pier in action start up one of these images and
point the web browser to to:

    http://localhost:8080/seaside/pier

There are dozens of plugins that you can load and integrate. You find
all existing  documentation linked on my web-site. I would start with
the following one, that gives a short overview:

   http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~scg/Archive/Reports/Reng07c.pdf

Cheers,
Lukas

On 8/14/08, cdrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>  Pier is a CMS a la seaside...
>
>  You'll find some basic information there:
>  http://www.lukas-renggli.ch/smalltalk/pier
>
>  hth
>
>  Cédrick
>

>  2008/8/14 David Zmick <[hidden email]>:
>
> > I feel a little bit stupid asking, but what exactly is Pier? What is it for?
>  > and, where can I find a good tutorial for using it, if it is something I
>  > would like to know how to use?
>  >
>  > --
>  > David Zmick
>  > /dz0004455\
>  > http://dz0004455.googlepages.com
>  > http://dz0004455.blogspot.com
>  >

Lukas Renggli

David Zmick
/dz0004455\
http://dz0004455.googlepages.com
http://dz0004455.blogspot.com

Re: What exactly is Pier?

Lukas Renggli
> So, i am begining to figure this out, but I have a question.  How do I hide
> the command section of the sidebar for certain people, I want to have it
> when I am working on the site, but not when visitors are there, and, the
> version included with the squeak-web image is older or newer than the

First thing you have to do is to assign your user and group to all the
structures in Pier. You can do this by executing 'Change Owner' and
'Change Group' on the root and checking to recursively apply it to all
children.

Now, if you take away the view permission from 'Other' in the command
box it is not rendered anymore, when not logged in. Pay attention that
you probably need to add another command box that only contains the
login/logout (see the settings of the box) and that is always
displayed, otherwise you lock yourself out.

Check out the mailing-list archive (linked on the web-site) for
in-length discussion how to setup a Pier site. Have a look at the
linked Pier sites (e.g. my website or the one of seaside.st). If you
have any questions on how a specific feature of these sites was made,
feel free to ask in the mailing-list.

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: What exactly is Pier?

keith1y
Lukas Renggli wrote:

>> So, i am begining to figure this out, but I have a question.  How do I hide
>> the command section of the sidebar for certain people, I want to have it
>> when I am working on the site, but not when visitors are there, and, the
>> version included with the squeak-web image is older or newer than the
>>

> First thing you have to do is to assign your user and group to all the
> structures in Pier. You can do this by executing 'Change Owner' and
> 'Change Group' on the root and checking to recursively apply it to all
> children.
>
> Now, if you take away the view permission from 'Other' in the command
> box it is not rendered anymore, when not logged in. Pay attention that
> you probably need to add another command box that only contains the
> login/logout (see the settings of the box) and that is always
> displayed, otherwise you lock yourself out.
>
> Check out the mailing-list archive (linked on the web-site) for
> in-length discussion how to setup a Pier site. Have a look at the
> linked Pier sites (e.g. my website or the one of seaside.st). If you
> have any questions on how a specific feature of these sites was made,
> feel free to ask in the mailing-list.
>
> Cheers,
> Lukas

Or you load Pier-Jetsam-Environment (from the pieraddons repo)
and setup one seaside application to display using a frame class which
supplies an admin layout,
and a second seaside application using a frame class with a custom
layout for the users.

best regards

Keith