What happens to saved inspectors?

Peter Kenny

Hello

I am using Moose 5, which is essentially Pharo 3, downloaded late December 2014. I have a development project which mainly consists of a collection of workspaces and inspectors (I really do intend to turn it into a properly structured set of classes one day!). I have noticed that, whenever I save an image with some inspectors open and then reopen the image, the title bars of the inspectors have become red rectangles with a cross superimposed. Often I can work out what the title should be and carry on, but in many cases all I can do is close down the inspector and reopen it. Is this a known problem, and is there any way to work round it?

Thanks for any help

Peter Kenny

Re: What happens to saved inspectors?

Clément Béra
Hey,

Inspectors are different between Moose and Pharo 3. Can you precise, are you using the Glamour inspector, the EyeInspector or the old Morphic inspector ?

I have never seen that in Pharo. Are your titles dynamic (I mean, when the object changes, can your title change ?) ?

Hello

I am using Moose 5, which is essentially Pharo 3, downloaded late December 2014. I have a development project which mainly consists of a collection of workspaces and inspectors (I really do intend to turn it into a properly structured set of classes one day!). I have noticed that, whenever I save an image with some inspectors open and then reopen the image, the title bars of the inspectors have become red rectangles with a cross superimposed. Often I can work out what the title should be and carry on, but in many cases all I can do is close down the inspector and reopen it. Is this a known problem, and is there any way to work round it?

Thanks for any help

Peter Kenny

Re: What happens to saved inspectors?

Peter Kenny

Clément

I am not sure, but I think Moose uses the Glamour inspector. You get exactly the same inspector whether you select ‘Inspect’ or ‘Explore’ from the world menu. As you click on an item in the current display, a new inspector pane opens to the right showing detail of the selected item, with tabs to select the form of display – the first one is always ‘Raw’ but the others are dependent on the kind of item being displayed, e.g. if inspecting an XML document there is always a ‘Tree’ option. I think that sounds like Glamour, doesn’t it?

The main heading on the title bar is static, i.e. it always shows the item you originally inspected. When there are multiple inspector panes open, each one has its own title below the main window title, showing the item that was clicked to open it. In this case, the title of the first inspector pane, which is the same as the main window title, is also replaced by the red error display, but the titles of the other inspector panes are OK.

Hope this helps. If any more detail would be helpful, let me know.

Thanks

Peter Kenny

Re: What happens to saved inspectors?

Blondeau Vincent

Hello Peter,

If your are on Moose, you are using the Glamour inspector.

Can you describe more precisely the kind of items you are inspecting? Do you inspect external resources? Or use Semaphores, forks, network?

I am remembering a bug on Roassal.  It used external ressources that was desallocated at image shutdown. On image relaunch, the external ressources was still pointed by a cache and the yellow cross on red appears.

By the way, behind the cross, it should be a text, can you see it?

I know that these kind of issues are very difficult to reproduce but if you can do it on a fresh image, it will be easier for us to help you ;)

I cross-posted to the Moose mailing list where people are more aware of this kind of issues.

Vincent

[...]

Ce message et les pièces jointes sont confidentiels et réservés à l'usage exclusif de ses destinataires. Il peut également être protégé par le secret professionnel. Si vous recevez ce message par erreur, merci d'en avertir immédiatement l'expéditeur et de le détruire. L'intégrité du message ne pouvant être assurée sur Internet, la responsabilité de Worldline ne pourra être recherchée quant au contenu de ce message. Bien que les meilleurs efforts soient faits pour maintenir cette transmission exempte de tout virus, l'expéditeur ne donne aucune garantie à cet égard et sa responsabilité ne saurait être recherchée pour tout dommage résultant d'un virus transmis.

This e-mail and the documents attached are confidential and intended solely for the addressee; it may also be privileged. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy it. As its integrity cannot be secured on the Internet, the Worldline liability cannot be triggered for the message content. Although the sender endeavours to maintain a computer virus-free network, the sender does not warrant that this transmission is virus-free and will not be liable for any damages resulting from any virus transmitted.

Re: What happens to saved inspectors?

Peter Kenny

Vincent

There are two types of items I have been inspecting – WideString and XMLDocument. I don’t think it’s relevant, but the text of the WideString is usually either the content of an XMLDocument file or an intermediate stage in constructing this file. In any case, the source of the inspected object is a workspace variable. The origin of the text is a downloaded Wiktionary page (in its basic wikitext form), but, by the time I am inspecting it, it is just a local variable. Apart from originally reading the file using XMLDOMParser>>#parseUrl:, I make no use of external resources.

I thought the error message in the red rectangle was unreadable, but studying it carefully I see that it is always the same message: ‘UndefinedObject (Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #displayString:on:from:to:at:kern:baselineY:’, which is a method associated with various font display processes. It looks as though the display code is trying to access details of the object displayed, and finding that they have disappeared in the save and reload process.

I am copying this to the addressees of yours, but I may not be able to reach the Moose list because I am not a member.

Thanks for your help

Peter Kenny