classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

What if [DEL] deleted methods?

jtuchel
Hi everybody,

this is another one of these tiny things we've grown accustomed to over the years. These days, when I am switching between all kinds of editors and IDEs for our web-based work on Kontolino!, such things get more obvious to me.

Like if I selected a method in a Class Browser and press [DEL].

What happens? Nothing.
What would I expect? The system asks me whether I really want to delete the method. If I wish so, it just does. If I am in a Hierarchy Browser, it should warn me if I really mean this implementation if I am not on the Class deepest down in the class hierarchy.

This can of course be extended to Categories, Classes in an Application, Applications in a Config Map and so on.

I think this would be a nice addition to VAST. What do others think?

And then, there is this second thing I always miss but am too lazy to look for where to switch it on (Settings Framework...?) . Although it is cool and should be enabled by default:
Drag and Drop of Methods between Classes, Applications. Drag and Drop of Classes between Applications, of Applications between Maps. An additional holding down of [CTRL] could copy the method, category, class (in this case create an extension) and stuff. AND: D&D should always be on the left mouse button for this.

Opinions? Would this help/be of value to you? I am sure it would be helpful for people like me or even newbees in VAST.

Joachim

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "VA Smalltalk" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To post to this group, send email to [hidden email].
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/va-smalltalk.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: What if [DEL] deleted methods?

Louis LaBrunda

On Tuesday, February 17, 2015 at 8:54:18 AM UTC-5, Joachim Tuchel wrote:
Hi everybody,

this is another one of these tiny things we've grown accustomed to over the years. These days, when I am switching between all kinds of editors and IDEs for our web-based work on Kontolino!, such things get more obvious to me.

What happens? Nothing.
What would I expect? The system asks me whether I really want to delete the method. If I wish so, it just does. If I am in a Hierarchy Browser, it should warn me if I really mean this implementation if I am not on the Class deepest down in the class hierarchy.

This can of course be extended to Categories, Classes in an Application, Applications in a Config Map and so on.

+1

And then, there is this second thing I always miss but am too lazy to look for where to switch it on (Settings Framework...?) . Although it is cool and should be enabled by default:
Drag and Drop of Methods between Classes, Applications. Drag and Drop of Classes between Applications, of Applications between Maps. An additional holding down of [CTRL] could copy the method, category, class (in this case create an extension) and stuff. AND: D&D should always be on the left mouse button for this.

Opinions? Would this help/be of value to you? I am sure it would be helpful for people like me or even newbees in VAST.

Haven't tried this, if I get a chance and remember, maybe I will.

Lou

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "VA Smalltalk" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: What if [DEL] deleted methods?

jtuchel
Lou,

there is a setting somewhere that enables drag and drop. WIth this you can move methods between Categories and Classes by simply dragging them there. This is extremely helpful in many situations.
It's just not enabled by default, and having it on the left mouse button doesn't always work very well.

I encourage you to try it next time you redesign  code.

Joachim

Am Dienstag, 17. Februar 2015 16:32:19 UTC+1 schrieb Louis LaBrunda:

On Tuesday, February 17, 2015 at 8:54:18 AM UTC-5, Joachim Tuchel wrote:
Hi everybody,

What happens? Nothing.

+1

Haven't tried this, if I get a chance and remember, maybe I will.

Lou

--