What is Amber? (text to be used at TodoMVC)

What is Amber? (text to be used at TodoMVC)

sebastianconcept
Hi guys,

in the TodoMVC page every lib exposed there has its example and a description of what it is and links to resources to convert learn more.

I'm writing to ask what do you think we should say there?
What's Amber concept pitch?
What's the text that describes Amber to the world in the most exciting way (without being bs)?

Here are other people's examples to get you inspired:

AngularJS:
HTML is great for declaring static documents, but it falters when we try to use it for declaring dynamic views in web-applications. AngularJS lets you extend HTML vocabulary for your application. The resulting environment is extraordinarily expressive, readable, and quick to develop.

KnockoutJS:
Knockout.js helps you simplify dynamic JavaScript UIs using the Model-View-ViewModel (MVVM) pattern.

EmberJS:
A framework for creating ambitious web applications.

ReactJS

React is a JavaScript library for creating user interfaces. Its core principles are declarative code, efficiency, and flexibility. Simply specify what your component looks like and React will keep it up-to-date when the underlying data changes.

Dart
Dart is a class-based, object-oriented language with lexical scoping, closures, and optional static typing. Dart helps you build structured modern web apps and is easy to learn for a wide range of developers.

Vanilla JavaScript
JavaScript® (often shortened to JS) is a lightweight, interpreted, object-oriented language with first-class functions, most known as the scripting language for Web pages, but used in many non-browser environments as well such as node.js or Apache CouchDB.

jQuery
jQuery is a fast, small, and feature-rich JavaScript library. It makes things like HTML document traversal and manipulation, event handling, animation, and Ajax much simpler with an easy-to-use API that works across a multitude of browsers. With a combination of versatility and extensibility, jQuery has changed the way that millions of people write JavaScript.

Amber
you tell me...

Why I think the AngularJS pitch is superb?

A) because it has the structure right:
1. it starts positive about something, then
2. denounces the problem that makes is okay but not great for our future and then
3. describe the essence of the way in which Anglar solves that problem and finally
4. describes how your work would be affected if you use it

B) is short

There is nothing stopping us to use that very structure to describe Amber for what it is

Please send your contribution as we'll need to decide on one

Re: What is Amber? (text to be used at TodoMVC)

Herby Vojčík

Sebastian Sastre wrote:

> [...]

> extensibility, jQuery has changed the way that millions of people
> write JavaScript.
>

> Amber
> you tell me...
>

> *Why I think the AngularJS pitch is superb? *
> *
> *
> *A) because it has the structure right:*
> 1. it starts positive about something, then
> 2. denounces the problem that makes is okay but not great for our
> future and then
> 3. describe the essence of the way in which Anglar solves that problem
> and finally
> 4. describes how your work would be affected if you use it
>
> *B) is short*
>
> There is nothing stopping us to use that very structure to describe
> Amber for what it is
>
> Please send your contribution as we'll need to decide on one

You mean something like:

HTML became the new ubiquitous type of canvas for rich applications. Amber allows you to combine this canvas with the powerful way of all-object message- passing live development of Smalltalk. The result is the live web with instant fe
edback that lets you develop rich apps in a blazing speed.

But this does not count, because it's all-bs. :-/

Re: What is Amber? (text to be used at TodoMVC)

Hannes Hirzel
<AmberDefinitionByHerby>

     <AssessmentOfCurrentContextOfDevelopment>
           HTML became the new ubiquitous type of canvas for rich applications.
     </AssessmentOfCurrentContextOfDevelopment>

     <USP>Amber allows you to combine this canvas
          with the powerful way
          of all-object message-passing live development of Smalltalk.
     </USP>

 <benefit>
      The result is the live web
      with instant feedback
      that lets you develop rich apps
      in a blazing speed.
 <benefit>

</AmberDefinitionByHerby>

I like the proposal by Herby.

Key statements
- Amber uses all-object message-passing.
- Amber is a live development
- Amber allows you to develop rich applications _fast_.

Regarding
"HTML became the new ubiquitous type of canvas for rich applications. "

there is the potential for confusion because the first association
people have if the word 'canvas' appears in connection with HTML /
HTML5 is the HTML canvas used for producing bitmap graphs
<canvas>...</canvas>.

Amber can works with this but this is not the only thing.

So I propose that we rephrase
    "HTML became the new ubiquitous type of canvas for rich applications. "

so that the word 'canvas' is not used.

[USP](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unique_selling_proposition)

Might be of some interest:

http://plainlanguagenetwork.org/

--Hannes

On 5/31/14, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> future and then
>> 3. describe the essence of the way in which Anglar solves that problem
>> and finally
>> 4. describes how your work would be affected if you use it
>>
>> *B) is short*
>>
>> There is nothing stopping us to use that very structure to describe
>> Amber for what it is
>>
>> Please send your contribution as we'll need to decide on one
>
> You mean something like:
>
> HTML became the new ubiquitous type of canvas for rich applications. Amber
> allows you to combine this canvas with the powerful way of all-object
> message- passing live development of Smalltalk. The result is the live web
> with instant fe
> edback that lets you develop rich apps in a blazing speed.
>
> But this does not count, because it's all-bs. :-/

Re: What is Amber? (text to be used at TodoMVC)

Quantity leads to quality

Instead of narrowing it early, I would be great to hear more creative and diverse options

There is no problem to select this one or anyone resulting of this, I’m sure it’ll be great

Nicolas will be very influential and is a must but I suggest you Nico hold your horses until you see some contributions first

Also I feel we need agitation because the sarcasm in the first answer seems to have frozen people contributions

Unless nobody wants to see Amber described with the right impact in TodoMVC

Is that the case? Do you guys want to see amber there or not? <- those are rhetorical, don’t answer!

Then what would be YOUR phrase to describe it?  <- this is real, please answer!!  :D

If you have set yours, please let others express themselves and please hold your opinions for the next stage, we’ll hear all

Don’t feel restricted to a format, presenting our coolest differential is primary to format

So, what’s Amber and why you thing it rocks?

Sebastian Sastre wrote:
[...]

Nicolas Petton

sebastian <[hidden email]> writes:

> Nicolas will be very influential and is a must but I suggest you Nico
> hold your horses until you see some contributions first

Sure :)

--
Nicolas Petton
http://nicolas-petton.fr

Re: What is Amber? (text to be used at TodoMVC)

John McKeon
I would suggest you stress what Amber has that none of the above (Angular, Knockout, etc) do:

Amber is THE browser based IDE for modern web application development

AFAIK none of the others have an integrated dev environment. I know angular has some tools. I also know that I am not the most knowledgable person on the subject so please correct me if I am mistaken.

John

On Tuesday, June 3, 2014, Nicolas Petton <[hidden email]> wrote:

sebastian <<a href="javascript:;" onclick="_e(event, &#39;cvml&#39;, &#39;sebastianconcept@gmail.com&#39;)">sebastianconcept@...> writes:

> Nicolas will be very influential and is a must but I suggest you Nico
> hold your horses until you see some contributions first

Sure :)

--
Nicolas Petton
http://nicolas-petton.fr

jmck.seasidehosting.st

Re: What is Amber? (text to be used at TodoMVC)

Larry Staton Jr.
The maintainers of TodoMVC have disallowed us from even entering Amber Smalltalk:

https://github.com/tastejs/todomvc/issues/910

/ls

On Saturday, May 31, 2014 4:00:05 PM UTC-4, Sebastian Sastre wrote:
[...]

being in the wiki is still good

Also this other site they’re working on looks promising

On Jun 3, 2014, at 3:26 PM, Larry Staton Jr. <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Larry Staton Jr. wrote
The maintainers of TodoMVC have disallowed us from even entering Amber
Can you include a simple MV* layer in your submission and would that sneak you in under the rules?
Cheers,
Sean

Re: What is Amber? (text to be used at TodoMVC)

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Larry Staton Jr. wrote
The maintainers of TodoMVC have disallowed us from even entering Amber
Smalltalk:

https://github.com/tastejs/todomvc/issues/910
There is a whole "Compile To JavaScript" section on http://todomvc.com/ including Closure, Dart, and others. Maybe they didn't know exactly what Amber was?
Cheers,