What is a GlobalIdentifier

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi

We have a package SystemIdentification and I would like to know if this is still in use.

Here is the comment of the class.

I keep global IDs that are used for tracking user activity, e.g. computer id. By default, you should access me by calling #uniqueInstance.

Responsibility:
The IDs that are important to store onto disk (and shared by all images) should be placed in persistedInformation instance variable. On other hand, if you do not want to store it onto disk, create a new instance variable. I can #loadPreferences and #savePreferences onto a disk.

I know computer ID and secret ID. Computer ID is a global UUID that is share among all the images. It is stored on a local disk. Secret ID is use for encrypting information, e.g., class names, method names. You can use #hashForText: method.

Collaborators: I do not collaborate with other classes. I only offer the basic IDs for other frameworks.

Public API and Key Messages

- computerUUID
- ensureComputerUUID
- hashForText:
- loadPreferences
- savePreferences.

Before using #computerUUID, you should call #ensureComputerUUID. It will update UUID from the disk or stores existing one if it is not stored yet. I behave like this as automatic storing data to disk on image start-up leads to errors.

It looks like it is used by the GTEventCollector and I wonder if it is used and useful anymore.

03 59 35 87 52
Assistant: Julie Jonas
FAX 03 59 57 78 50
TEL 03 59 35 86 16
S. Ducasse - Inria
40, avenue Halley,
Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650
France

Re: What is a GlobalIdentifier

Andrei Chis
Hi,

I think we mostly added it for the GTEventCollector, as a way to
detect if events coming from different images were from the same
machine.

Cheers,
Andrei

On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 9:27 PM Stéphane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> We have a package SystemIdentification and I would like to know if this is still in use.
>

> Here is the comment of the class.
>
> I keep global IDs that are used for tracking user activity, e.g. computer id. By default, you should access me by calling #uniqueInstance.
>
> Responsibility:
> The IDs that are important to store onto disk (and shared by all images) should be placed in persistedInformation instance variable. On other hand, if you do not want to store it onto disk, create a new instance variable. I can #loadPreferences and #savePreferences onto a disk.
>
> I know computer ID and secret ID. Computer ID is a global UUID that is share among all the images. It is stored on a local disk. Secret ID is use for encrypting information, e.g., class names, method names. You can use #hashForText: method.
>
> Collaborators: I do not collaborate with other classes. I only offer the basic IDs for other frameworks.
>
> Public API and Key Messages
>
> - computerUUID
> - ensureComputerUUID
> - hashForText:
> - loadPreferences
> - savePreferences.
>
> Before using #computerUUID, you should call #ensureComputerUUID. It will update UUID from the disk or stores existing one if it is not stored yet. I behave like this as automatic storing data to disk on image start-up leads to errors.
>

> It looks like it is used by the GTEventCollector and I wonder if it is used and useful anymore.
>
> Stef

> Stéphane Ducasse
> http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr
> http://www.synectique.eu / http://www.pharo.org
> 03 59 35 87 52
> Assistant: Julie Jonas
> FAX 03 59 57 78 50
> TEL 03 59 35 86 16
> S. Ducasse - Inria
> 40, avenue Halley,
> Parc Scientifique de la Haute Borne, Bât.A, Park Plaza
> Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650
> France

Re: What is a GlobalIdentifier

ducasse