What is the Purpose of Lively?

Philip Weaver
This topic deserves more discussion. Anyone else please discuss.

Philip

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 1:33 PM, Steve Wart <[hidden email]> wrote:

One thing that Apple insists on when defining the user experience for a new application is to come up with a clear statement of purpose. Not only what it is its intended user base (casual, professional, etc.), but also what it is explicitly not intended for. What *can't* Lively do?.

I've seen a couple of posts from Dan on his vision for Lively, but I still wonder, is it an educational environment, or is it something people can use to build commercial quality client-server applications?

Smalltalk evolved in rather unexpected ways I think. I don't think I'm looking for Lively on Rails, but I am interested in applications that appeal to mainstream development needs.

Steve

Philip: I'm creating a new thread because Steve and I didn't actually appropriately discuss this topic in a similarly titled email. We hijacked. :-)

Re: What is the Purpose of Lively?

Philip Weaver
The Lively Kernel enables dynamic, collaborative production on a world-wide scale. This has applications in collaborative education and learning, software development, content and graphics creation.

Who will tweak this to be more compelling and yet still concise?

Thanks,
Philip

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 9:42 PM, Philip Weaver <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

The Lively Kernel is a platform for collaborative illustration of dynamic and interactive content on a world-wide scale. This has applications in collaborative education and learning, software development, content and graphics creation.

How about this one instead?

The core mission for Lively probably ought to be vector illustration. People get that.

Philip

If no one is exploring any degree of funding to help propel this project or derivatives then that is a great tragedy.