What is the current status of flow (flow-stack)?

What is the current status of flow (flow-stack)?

Erik Stel
Hi,

What is the status of flow?

Having worked on a Meteor project I got the idea this would be nice to have such a platform/stack in Pharo/Amber combo (back-end/front-end). Searched the web and found https://github.com/flow-stack/flow. No updates for several months. Sebastian's host (and therefore email) are no longer online.

What is the status of flow? Anyone used it for (demo) projects? Anyone interested in working on this in the future?

Cheers,
Erik

Re: What is the current status of flow (flow-stack)?

sebastianconcept@gmail.co
Hi Erik,

2015 was a Smalltalk-sabbatical year for me Erik, that's one of the reasons why as you see in the github commits, development has not moved further. But to be honest there is more, the direction of Amber doesn't look too exciting to me because in the end, the frontend productivity output is not convincing me anymore.

In the frontend/Smalltalk world this is way more interesting than Amber:
https://bertfreudenberg.github.io/SqueakJS/

But I after the initial modest interest on flow-stack, the reality check of the lack of strong commercial projects on it made it stall. Maintaining a framework is not a small thing. Not being backed is a no-no.

But it's all MIT so anyone can take over and give it life on its own if found valuable.

BTW I'm currently quite happy with Meteor myself.

Feel free to ask anything

Re: What is the current status of flow (flow-stack)?

Erik Stel
Hi Sebastian,

Thanks for the update.

I'm starting with a new project and need to get the requirements clear before deciding which tools will help me (and make me happy) most. I'll also continu using Meteor, but I prefer Smalltalk over Javascript/Coffeescript ;-). Currently I don't see Amber as the solution for replacing JS/CS within a Meteor solution.

SqueakJS seems a 'heavy' solution since I probably would like to keep the front-end relatively thin (and not use the Morphic UI). Amber seems a better choice for that. But I'll investigate it too.

Cheers!
Erik

Re: What is the current status of flow (flow-stack)?

ccrraaiigg

Hoi Erik--

> SqueakJS seems a 'heavy' solution since I probably would like to keep
> the front-end relatively thin (and not use the Morphic UI).

     You can also use the MVC UI, or use no Smalltalk graphics at all
and just manipulate the DOM etc. via the JavaScript bridge.

-C

--
Craig Latta
netjam.org