What might cause "No runnable processAbort trap"?

12

What might cause "No runnable processAbort trap"?

ZuLuuuuuu
Hello,

One of the readers of my book told that there is a problem with the example program below:

"user_input.st"
"A program to demonstrate how to get input from user."

| userName |

Transcript show: 'What is your name? '.
userName := stdin nextLine.

Transcript show: ('Hello ', userName, '!'); cr.

It is working fine on my system but he is getting an output of something like this:

dnormandin@d ~/programming/smalltalk/gst
01:57 pm >> gst user_input.st

What is your name? No runnable processAbort trap

What might be the problem?
Canol Gökel

Re: What might cause "No runnable processAbort trap"?

MrGwen
On Mon, 2010-01-04 at 14:33 -0800, ZuLuuuuuu wrote:

> Hello,
>
> One of the readers of my book told that there is a problem with the example
> program below:
>

> "user_input.st"
> "A program to demonstrate how to get input from user."
>
> | userName |
>
> Transcript show: 'What is your name? '.
> userName := stdin nextLine.
>
> Transcript show: ('Hello ', userName, '!'); cr.
>

> It is working fine on my system but he is getting an output of something
> like this:
>

> dnormandin@d ~/programming/smalltalk/gst
> 01:57 pm >> gst user_input.st
>
> What is your name? No runnable processAbort trap
>

> What might be the problem?

Hi,

it seems that all the processes are suspended.

Gwen

Re: What might cause "No runnable processAbort trap"?

Paolo Bonzini-2

>> What might be the problem?
>
> Hi,
>
> it seems that all the processes are suspended.
>
> Gwen

Yes, it looks like he has no idle process.  Tell him to run "Processor
examine" and send the output.

Paolo

Re: What might cause "No runnable processAbort trap"?

dukester
ZuLuuuuuu wrote
Hello,

One of the readers of my book told that there is a problem with the example program below:

"user_input.st"
"A program to demonstrate how to get input from user."

| userName |

Transcript show: 'What is your name? '.
userName := stdin nextLine.

Transcript show: ('Hello ', userName, '!'); cr.

It is working fine on my system but he is getting an output of something like this:

dnormandin@d ~/programming/smalltalk/gst
01:57 pm >> gst user_input.st

What is your name? No runnable processAbort trap

What might be the problem?
Here's some more information. I input the commands from the gst CLI like so:

dnormandin@ ~/programming/smalltalk/gst
11:57 am >> gst
GNU Smalltalk ready

st> | userName |
st> 'What is your name?'.
'What is your name?'
st> userName := stdin nextline.
Object: FileStream new "<0x1306b08>" error: did not understand #nextline
MessageNotUnderstood(Exception)>>signal (AnsiExcept.st:216)
FileStream(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #nextline (AnsiExcept.st:1556)
UndefinedObject>>executeStatements (a String:1)
nil
st>

Does this help someone to diagnose the problem? BTW, I'm running gst on an Intel OS X Leopard 10.8.5 box. TIA...
dukester

Re: What might cause "No runnable processAbort trap"?

ZuLuuuuuu
dukester wrote
st> userName := stdin nextline.
It should be "nextLine" with capital "L".
Canol Gökel

Re: What might cause "No runnable processAbort trap"?

dukester
ZuLuuuuuu wrote
dukester wrote
st> userName := stdin nextline.
It should be "nextLine" with capital "L".
Obviously a typo...

Here it is again...

dnormandin@ ~/programming/smalltalk/gst
02:00 pm >> gst
GNU Smalltalk ready

st> | userName |
st> 'What is your name?'.
'What is your name?'
st> userName := stdin nextLine.
No runnable processAbort trap

It seems to choke on this "stdin nextLine" thing.

I tried to get the code working in Squeak, as well, with no joy! It may be that I don't know how to input the code properly in Squeak ;(

On 01/05/2010 10:07 PM, dukester wrote:

> st>  | userName |
> st>  'What is your name?'.
> 'What is your name?'
> st>  userName := stdin nextLine.
> No runnable processAbort trap
>
> It seems to choke on this "stdin nextLine" thing.
>
> I tried to get the code working in Squeak, as well, with no joy! It may be
> that I don't know how to input the code properly in Squeak ;(

Please try "Processor examine" and send the output.  Also send the
output of "Features".

Finally, you can try fixing it by running gst as root and typing
"ObjectMemory snapshot".

Paolo

On Wed, 6 Jan 2010, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

> On 01/05/2010 10:07 PM, dukester wrote:
> > st>  | userName |
> > st>  'What is your name?'.
> > 'What is your name?'
> > st>  userName := stdin nextLine.
> > No runnable processAbort trap
> >
> > It seems to choke on this "stdin nextLine" thing.
> >
> > I tried to get the code working in Squeak, as well, with no joy! It may be
> > that I don't know how to input the code properly in Squeak ;(
>
> Please try "Processor examine" and send the output.  Also send the output of
> "Features".

dnormandin@ ~
07:19 am >> gst
GNU Smalltalk ready

st> Features
Set (#DLD #Kernel )
st>

dnormandin@ ~
07:22 am >> gst
GNU Smalltalk ready

st> Processor examine
Object: ProcessorScheduler new "<0x1301820>" error: did not understand
#examine
MessageNotUnderstood(Exception)>>signal (AnsiExcept.st:216)
ProcessorScheduler(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #examine
(AnsiExcept.st:1556)
UndefinedObject>>executeStatements (a String:1)
nil
st>

> Finally, you can try fixing it by running gst as root and typing "ObjectMemory
> snapshot".

dnormandin@ ~
07:23 am >> sudo gst
Password:
GNU Smalltalk ready

st> ObjectMemory snapshot
"Global garbage collection... done"
false
st>
--
Duke

On Wed, 2010-01-06 at 07:28 -0700, Duke Normandin wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Jan 2010, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
>
> > On 01/05/2010 10:07 PM, dukester wrote:
> > > st>  | userName |
> > > st>  'What is your name?'.
> > > 'What is your name?'
> > > st>  userName := stdin nextLine.
> > > No runnable processAbort trap
> > >
> > > It seems to choke on this "stdin nextLine" thing.
> > >
> > > I tried to get the code working in Squeak, as well, with no joy! It may be
> > > that I don't know how to input the code properly in Squeak ;(
> >
> > Please try "Processor examine" and send the output.  Also send the output of
> > "Features".
>
> dnormandin@ ~
> 07:19 am >> gst
> GNU Smalltalk ready
>
> st> Features
> Set (#DLD #Kernel )
> st>
>
> dnormandin@ ~
> 07:22 am >> gst
> GNU Smalltalk ready
>
> st> Processor examine
> Object: ProcessorScheduler new "<0x1301820>" error: did not understand
> #examine
> MessageNotUnderstood(Exception)>>signal (AnsiExcept.st:216)
> ProcessorScheduler(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #examine
> (AnsiExcept.st:1556)
> UndefinedObject>>executeStatements (a String:1)
> nil
> st>

Hi,

Can you try : Processor inspect ?
Or can you try to install the git version of GST ?

Gwen

> > Finally, you can try fixing it by running gst as root and typing "ObjectMemory
> > snapshot".
>
> dnormandin@ ~
> 07:23 am >> sudo gst
> Password:
> GNU Smalltalk ready
>
> st> ObjectMemory snapshot
> "Global garbage collection... done"
> false
> st>

Re: What might cause "No runnable processAbort trap"?

dukester
On Wed, 6 Jan 2010, Gwenael Casaccio wrote:

[snip]

> > st> Processor examine
> > Object: ProcessorScheduler new "<0x1301820>" error: did not understand
> > #examine
> > MessageNotUnderstood(Exception)>>signal (AnsiExcept.st:216)
> > ProcessorScheduler(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #examine
> > (AnsiExcept.st:1556)
> > UndefinedObject>>executeStatements (a String:1)
> > nil
> > st>
> >
> Hi,
>
> Can you try : Processor inspect ?
> Or can you try to install the git version of GST ?
>
> Gwen

Hey Gwen...

gst> Processor inspect
An instance of ProcessorScheduler
  processLists: (Semaphore(nil: held, 0 waiting processes)
        Semaphore(nil: held, 0 waiting processes) Semaphore(nil: held, 0
        waiting processes) Semaphore(nil: held, 1 waiting processes)
        Semaphore(nil: held, 0 waiting processes) Semaphore(nil: held, 0
        waiting processes) Semaphore(nil: held, 0 waiting processes)
        Semaphore(nil: held, 0 waiting processes) Semaphore(nil: held, 0
        waiting processes) )
  activeProcess: CallinProcess('call-in process' at
        userSchedulingPriority, active)
  idleTasks: OrderedCollection (0 )
  processTimeslice: 40
  gcSemaphore: Semaphore(nil: held, 1 waiting processes)
  gcArray: nil
Processor
gst>

The format of the output is probably hosed...

Never used git ;( Is this what I would need?

dnormandin@ ~
08:08 am >> port info git-core @1.6.4.4
git-core @1.6.4.4 (devel)
Variants:             bash_completion, [+]doc, gitweb, svn

version control
                      system focusing on speed and efficiency.
Homepage:             http://git.or.cz/

Library Dependencies: curl, zlib, openssl, expat, libiconv
Runtime Dependencies: rsync, perl5, p5-error
Platforms:            darwin
License:              unknown
Maintainers:          [hidden email], [hidden email],
[hidden email]

Thanks for your help...
--
Duke

Re: What might cause "No runnable processAbort trap"?

dukester
On Wed, 6 Jan 2010, Gwenael Casaccio wrote:

[snip]

> Or can you try to install the git version of GST ?
>
> Gwen

OK! I've got git-core on my system now, and even an OS X gui for it
GitX. I'm rocking now.... I might as well learn to use git using GST
as the guinea-pig ;)

Which do I need?

git clone git://git.sv.gnu.org/smalltalk.git

or

git checkout -b stable-3.0 origin/stable-3.0

and then what?
--
Duke

Re: What might cause "No runnable processAbort trap"?

Paolo Bonzini-2

> git clone git://git.sv.gnu.org/smalltalk.git

This, and then (on OS X you should have autoconf/automake installed, or
you can install them using ports too).

autoreconf -vi
./configure
make
make install

and ensure that /usr/local/bin comes in your PATH before the place where
you installed gst before (for example /opt/local/bin).

It looks indeed like your gst does not have an idle process, this would
definitely give the error message.

Paolo

Re: What might cause "No runnable processAbort trap"?

dukester
On Wed, 6 Jan 2010, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

> > git clone git://git.sv.gnu.org/smalltalk.git

Cool...

> This, and then (on OS X you should have autoconf/automake installed, or you
> can install them using ports too).

got the tools...

> autoreconf -vi
> ./configure
> make
> make install

Yep! I should have read further down the
http://smalltalk.gnu.org/download/cvs page before popping off with a
question ;)

> and ensure that /usr/local/bin comes in your PATH before the place where you
> installed gst before (for example /opt/local/bin).

I see! So you want the system to find /usr/local/bin *before*
/opt/local/bin...

Should I disable /opt/local/bin/gst using `port deactivate'?

> It looks indeed like your gst does not have an idle process, this would
> definitely give the error message.

How do I get an idle process? Is this an OS X issue? or is it an issue
with the GST OS X port? Thanks for your help!
--
Duke

Re: What might cause "No runnable processAbort trap"?

Paolo Bonzini-2
>> It looks indeed like your gst does not have an idle process, this would
>> definitely give the error message.
>
> How do I get an idle process? Is this an OS X issue? or is it an issue
> with the GST OS X port? Thanks for your help!

It's a Smalltalk process, just a piece of Smalltalk code that in theory
it is started when an image is created first (which happens at install
time) for all versions in the last 5 years or maybe more...  But your
version disagrees. :-)

Paolo

Re: What might cause "No runnable processAbort trap"?

Stefan Schmiedl
On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 20:26:14 +0100
Paolo Bonzini <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> It looks indeed like your gst does not have an idle process, this would
> >> definitely give the error message.
> >
> > How do I get an idle process? Is this an OS X issue? or is it an issue
> > with the GST OS X port? Thanks for your help!
>
> It's a Smalltalk process, just a piece of Smalltalk code that in theory
> it is started when an image is created first (which happens at install
> time) for all versions in the last 5 years or maybe more...  But your
> version disagrees. :-)

... which makes me wonder, if Duke is using a hosed image.

In the spirit of "is this thing plugged in at all?":
Duke, have you tried

$ gst -i

to run your offending code?

s.

On Wed, 6 Jan 2010, Stefan Schmiedl wrote:

> > > How do I get an idle process? Is this an OS X issue? or is it an issue
> > > with the GST OS X port? Thanks for your help!
> >
> > It's a Smalltalk process, just a piece of Smalltalk code that in theory
> > it is started when an image is created first (which happens at install
> > time) for all versions in the last 5 years or maybe more...  But your
> > version disagrees. :-)
>
> ... which makes me wonder, if Duke is using a hosed image.
>
> In the spirit of "is this thing plugged in at all?":
> Duke, have you tried
>
> $ gst -i
>
> to run your offending code?
>
> s.

dnormandin@ ~/programming/smalltalk/gst
04:08 pm >> gst -i user_input.st

"Global garbage collection... done"
What is your name? No runnable processAbort trap
--
Duke

Re: What might cause "No runnable processAbort trap"?

dukester
On Wed, 6 Jan 2010, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

> > git clone git://git.sv.gnu.org/smalltalk.git
>
> This, and then (on OS X you should have autoconf/automake installed, or you
> can install them using ports too).
>
> autoreconf -vi
> ./configure
> make
> make install
>
> and ensure that /usr/local/bin comes in your PATH before the place where you
> installed gst before (for example /opt/local/bin).
>
> It looks indeed like your gst does not have an idle process, this would
> definitely give the error message.
>
> Paolo

Had 2 different versions of auto* tools on my system. BAH
humbug. Seems Macports like /opt/local/bin etc. I symlinked
/usr/bin/<autotools> to /opt/local/bin/blah

autoreconf => no problems
./configure => no problems
make => BOOM

dnormandin@ ~/smalltalk
08:12 pm >> make
make  all-recursive
Making all in lib-src
/bin/sh ../libtool --tag=CC   --mode=compile gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I..     -g -O2 -Wall -Wno-strict-aliasing -Wno-switch -fno-gcse -fstrict-aliasing -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-format -Wno-long-double -Wpointer-arith -Wno-pointer-sign -Wwrite-strings -MT qsort.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/qsort.Tpo -c -o qsort.lo qsort.c
../libtool: line 796: X--tag=CC: command not found
../libtool: line 829: libtool: ignoring unknown tag : command not found
../libtool: line 796: X--mode=compile: command not found
../libtool: line 962: *** Warning: inferring the mode of operation is deprecated.: command not found
../libtool: line 963: *** Future versions of Libtool will require --mode=MODE be specified.: command not found
../libtool: line 1106: Xgcc: command not found
../libtool: line 1106: X-DHAVE_CONFIG_H: command not found
../libtool: line 1106: X-I.: command not found
../libtool: line 1106: X-I..: command not found
../libtool: line 1106: X-g: command not found
../libtool: line 1106: X-O2: command not found
../libtool: line 1106: X-Wall: command not found
../libtool: line 1106: X-Wno-strict-aliasing: command not found
../libtool: line 1106: X-Wno-switch: command not found
../libtool: line 1106: X-fno-gcse: command not found
../libtool: line 1106: X-fstrict-aliasing: command not found
../libtool: line 1106: X-Wdeclaration-after-statement: command not found
../libtool: line 1106: X-Wno-format: command not found
../libtool: line 1106: X-Wno-long-double: command not found
../libtool: line 1106: X-Wpointer-arith: command not found
../libtool: line 1106: X-Wno-pointer-sign: command not found
../libtool: line 1106: X-Wwrite-strings: command not found
../libtool: line 1106: X-MT: command not found
../libtool: line 1106: Xqsort.lo: command not found
../libtool: line 1106: X-MD: command not found
../libtool: line 1106: X-MP: command not found
../libtool: line 1106: X-MF: command not found
../libtool: line 1106: X.deps/qsort.Tpo: No such file or directory
../libtool: line 1106: X-c: command not found
../libtool: line 1157: Xqsort.lo: command not found
../libtool: line 1162: libtool: compile: cannot determine name of library object from `': command not found
make[2]: *** [qsort.lo] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2

Choking on a bone in libtool, but why?
--
duke

Re: What might cause "No runnable processAbort trap"?

Paolo Bonzini-2
> Choking on a bone in libtool, but why?

Hmm, sounds like a hosed libtool installation, see also
http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/5346

Try removing _any_ ltmain.sh you have in the checked-out tree, and then
do "autoreconf -fvi" and recompile.

Maybe it could also because of MacPorts vs. /usr/bin.  Did I mention I
hate MacPorts?  However, the above seems more likely...

Paolo

On Thu, 7 Jan 2010, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

> > Choking on a bone in libtool, but why?
>
> Hmm, sounds like a hosed libtool installation, see also
> http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/5346
>
> Try removing _any_ ltmain.sh you have in the checked-out tree, and
> then do "autoreconf -fvi" and recompile.

OK...

> Maybe it could also because of MacPorts vs. /usr/bin.  Did I mention
> I hate MacPorts?  However, the above seems more likely...

You and me both! Why could they not "leave well enough" alone? I've
got crap in /sw/local/blah from "fink"; crap in /opt/blah from
MacPorts; and the usual stuff in /usr/blah where it's suppose to
go. It's enough to piss off a Pope... ;)

Anyway....

dnormandin@ ~
05:50 am >> port installed libtool
  libtool @2.2.6a_0 (active)
dnormandin@ ~
05:50 am >> port location libtool
Port libtool 2.2.6a_0 is installed as an image in:
/opt/local/var/macports/software/libtool/2.2.6a_0
dnormandin@ ~
05:52 am >> ls -AF /opt/local/var/macports/software/libtool/2.2.6a_0
opt/

So libtools is living in /opt/blah. You want them in the /usr/ tree? I
wonder how many files we're talking about here? I could symlink them
to /opt/whatever, but what a &^%$@# PITA! Can't we do something in the
"configure" script or the "Makefile", line "ifdef $OSTYPE or
something, then look at /usr then /opt?
--
Duke

On 01/07/2010 02:16 PM, Duke Normandin wrote:
> So libtools is living in/opt/blah. You want them in the /usr/  tree? I
> wonder how many files we're talking about here? I could symlink them
> to /opt/whatever, but what a&^%$@# PITA! Can't we do something in the
> "configure" script or the "Makefile", line "ifdef $OSTYPE or
> something, then look at /usr then /opt?

No no, just do the other try...

Paolo

12