What's missing?

hernanmd
Hello,

Maybe we can benefit each other if we know what's missing in Iliad.

For me I tried to build a file uploader but is broken because of a weird request to automatic redirect (after upload POST) which I couldn't detect yet. So maybe a jQuery file uploader plugin could be an option, I need to evaluate which one of http://jquery-plugins.net/tag/file-upload is best suitable. That could or not imply a jQuery update.

In the meantime I implemented two Iliad widgets: FileBrowser and FileSelector. Nothing spectacular, but could be useful for you. Will upload to Iliad repo tomorrow.

On the other side, I started to diagram the KomServices interactions because DynamicBindings are complicated and a port to ZnServer could be nice in either efficiency and debugging.

So, can we build a wish list?

Hernán

Re: What's missing?

Steven Costiou
Hi,

i have minor adds to the core of Iliad, mainly convenience adds or missings html constructs that are needed for example to use google material design libarary. I think i have one or two minor bugfixes also.

I will check my "wish-list" and thoughts about Iliad.

[...]

benoit
Hello,

  the first thing we need is an official website with up to date info. I
am making a bit of advertising for Smalltalk in my company and I wanted
to list all web framework. Iliad is the only one to not have an official
website.
  Right now we have :
        - http://smalltalk.gnu.org/project/Iliad : pointing to an homepage wich
does'nt exist anymore (the content displayed is some WiMAX japanese thing) ;
        - https://github.com/NicolasPetton/iliad with no life since 4 years ago ;
        - https://code.google.com/archive/p/iliadproject : same issue as the
first link ;
        - and 4 projects on SmalltalkHub which does'nt show up on google and
with very little content to help new users.

Back on code, my wishlist/needs are :

#Better integration of CSS
   We are able to cope with html and javascript in Smalltalk, why isn't
it the case with CSS ?
   We should be able to :
        - manage multiple css class for a widget without having concatene strings ;
        - list all css class used in an application and generate a basic css
file with default values provided by widget ;
        - maybe to have extensions to theme an app with Bootstrap or Foundation
(not really a need for myself as I am using PocketGrid, but I think it
would be great for advertisement).

#Simple way to add shortcuts
  I would like to allow the use of keypress shortcuts for navigation in
my webapps but for now what I tried does'nt seem to work, and a real
support in the framework would be nice.
  Maybe going as far as having an event listener with a full propagation
model.

#Update the version of jQuery used
  Just to be sure to avoid bitrotting and for showing that Iliad is
still alive

#Port to ZnServer
  Same thing as jQuery, it seems the way to go and maybe should give us
some easier interactions with other citizens of our beloved Smalltalk
realm (like Teapot).

#Better comments and more example right in the source code
  Self explaining, but we are clearly not on the quality level wanted by
the Pharo team.

  And there is some things that I would like to be able to do but don't
know right now if/how it's possible :

#Being able to generate and serve later a static version from a page
served by Iliad, the idea is that I am using Iliad as a private
application (protected by a password), but would like to be able to
publish some content done in the application.

#I can't found a wey to give the focus to an input field that I just
displayed after an user action

Regards,
Benoit

Le 2/24/16 4:25 PM, Hernán Morales Durand a écrit :

> Hello,
>
> Maybe we can benefit each other if we know what's missing in Iliad.
>
> For me I tried to build a file uploader but is broken because of a weird
> request to automatic redirect (after upload POST) which I couldn't
> detect yet. So maybe a jQuery file uploader plugin could be an option, I
> need to evaluate which one of http://jquery-plugins.net/tag/file-upload
> is best suitable. That could or not imply a jQuery update.
>
> In the meantime I implemented two Iliad widgets: FileBrowser and
> FileSelector. Nothing spectacular, but could be useful for you. Will
> upload to Iliad repo tomorrow.
>
> On the other side, I started to diagram the KomServices interactions
> because DynamicBindings are complicated and a port to ZnServer could be
> nice in either efficiency and debugging.
>
> So, can we build a wish list?
>
> Hernán

Re: What's missing?

hernanmd
Hi Benoit,

Hello,

 the first thing we need is an official website with up to date info. I am making a bit of advertising for Smalltalk in my company and I wanted to list all web framework. Iliad is the only one to not have an official website.
 Right now we have :
        - http://smalltalk.gnu.org/project/Iliad : pointing to an homepage wich does'nt exist anymore (the content displayed is some WiMAX japanese thing) ;
        - https://github.com/NicolasPetton/iliad with no life since 4 years ago ;
        - https://code.google.com/archive/p/iliadproject : same issue as the first link ;
        - and 4 projects on SmalltalkHub which does'nt show up on google and with very little content to help new users.

This is a must-have. I don't like github but we can add a page, just for the sake of having presence.

Back on code, my wishlist/needs are :

#Better integration of CSS
  We are able to cope with html and javascript in Smalltalk, why isn't it the case with CSS ?
  We should be able to :
        - manage multiple css class for a widget without having concatene strings ;
        - list all css class used in an application and generate a basic css file with default values provided by widget ;
        - maybe to have extensions to theme an app with Bootstrap or Foundation (not really a need for myself as I am using PocketGrid, but I think it would be great for advertisement).

I think there are two fronts with CSS.

One is to support "native" CSS objects (nice for a future UI builder and creatings CSS constructs beyond current high-level presentation objects provided by CSS libraries). On this side there are several who attempted to provide CSS Frameworks (myself included) for example https://github.com/gcotelli/RenoirSt and http://www.smalltalkhub.com/#!/~hernan/Phantasia
(I guess people is not very interested in this route now...)

Another front is a model to import "external" arbitrary CSS framework: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CSS_frameworks
On this side I still have to decouple PureCSS.io (a responsive CSS framework) from an extension library I am writing, so any other external CSS framework could be "easily" imported. There is also http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/CSSFrameworks.html which I haven't checked yet.

#Simple way to add shortcuts
 I would like to allow the use of keypress shortcuts for navigation in my webapps but for now what I tried does'nt seem to work, and a real support in the framework would be nice.
 Maybe going as far as having an event listener with a full propagation model.

#Update the version of jQuery used
 Just to be sure to avoid bitrotting and for showing that Iliad is still alive

Yes, this is important to keep in sync with other Js libraries...

#Port to ZnServer
 Same thing as jQuery, it seems the way to go and maybe should give us some easier interactions with other citizens of our beloved Smalltalk realm (like Teapot).

Maybe someone could check the first Seaside version with Zinc support?
We could start from there.

#Better comments and more example right in the source code
 Self explaining, but we are clearly not on the quality level wanted by the Pharo team.

I did a pass today to the source code and there are practically no comments at all :(

 And there is some things that I would like to be able to do but don't know right now if/how it's possible :

#Being able to generate and serve later a static version from a page served by Iliad, the idea is that I am using Iliad as a private application (protected by a password), but would like to be able to publish some content done in the application.

Have you checked https://github.com/guillep/ecstatic ? Maybe there is something interesting from there?

#I can't found a wey to give the focus to an input field that I just displayed after an user action

Didn't tried yet, but AFAIK in Seaside you need to pass some javascript.

Regards,

Hernán

[...]

Hello all,

  I wonder it the mailing list is reliable :
        - there is a message I send the 7 february that does'nt show up on[1]
or [2], the subject was "New widget : ILInPlaceWidget" ;
        - I can see on [2] a post from Brad Selfridge sent the 24 december
(Readonly vs disabled element confusion) that I am pretty sure I never
got in my email.

  I talk about it by answering because it seems more reliable. And
because it's quite a big issue for the project.

Benoit

[1] : https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/iliad
[2] : http://forum.world.st/Iliad-f1566401.html

Le 25/02/16 08:54, Hernán Morales Durand a écrit :

> [...]
>
>         Maybe we can benefit each other if we know what's missing in Iliad.
>
>         For me I tried to build a file uploader but is broken because of
>         a weird
>         request to automatic redirect (after upload POST) which I couldn't
>         detect yet. So maybe a jQuery file uploader plugin could be an
>         option, I
>         need to evaluate which one of
>         http://jquery-plugins.net/tag/file-upload
>         is best suitable. That could or not imply a jQuery update.
>
>         In the meantime I implemented two Iliad widgets: FileBrowser and
>         FileSelector. Nothing spectacular, but could be useful for you. Will
>         upload to Iliad repo tomorrow.
>
>         On the other side, I started to diagram the KomServices interactions
>         because DynamicBindings are complicated and a port to ZnServer
>         could be
>         nice in either efficiency and debugging.

Re: What's missing?

hernanmd
This is strange. I just checked and the e-mails you mention are not visible through the groups URL https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/iliad but I have received your ILInPlaceWidget e-mail, not the one from Brad Selfridge (there is no such user in the mailing list).

So this could be a gmail bug?

Hernán

<mailto:[hidden email]>>:

[...]

        <mailto:[hidden email]>
        <mailto:[hidden email]
        <mailto:[hidden email]>>.

Bug on updating head

benoit
Hello,

  I was trying to update the head element of a web page from within a
widget (I would like to have the widget ensuring itself that css and js
needed are loaded instead of using updatePage from the application
class), and I noticed that using multiple times the same widget would
add the css link in the head each time.
  To be sure my code wasn't responsible of that, I checked the
ILTodoListApplication widget and observed the same behaviour with
ILLightbox : each time I displayed the lightbox, the css link is added
to head element, ended with a lot of identicals lines.

  I traced back the issue to two places :
        - the "=" method of ILElement doesn't compare correctly the attributes
dictionary, thus returning false even if all the attributes are the same ;
        - the "updateHead" method of ILJsonHandler does update the html page
displayed, but doesn't update the page head on the smalltalk side
leaving to updating the html page every time.

  I submitted a patch for those methods on
http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~hernan/Iliad/versions/Iliad-Core.0.9.1.3-BenoitAstruc.24.

@+
Benoit

DebugMode fixed

benoit
Hello,

  i just uploaded new versions of Iliad-Core and Iliad-Comanche, the
goal was to get debugMode working. Now when starting the server with
startDebugOn: we get a debugger window will opened.

  It should have fixed the verbose mode too, but I am not quite sure
everything is ok with it : I test that the Error 500 return contain the
details on the error but didn't get said details on screen. Should be
something on the javascript code...

  By the way I tried to update jQuery in Iliad to the last 1.x version
of it. But it seems that Pharo can't handle the copying-pasting of that
much text in one method (the last 1.x version is 3 times bigger than the
1.4.4 actual version).

@+
Benoit

http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~hernan/Iliad/versions/Iliad-Core.0.9.1.3-BenoitAstruc.27.mcz

http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~hernan/Iliad/versions/Iliad-Comanche.0.9.1.3-BenoitAstruc.9.mcz

Le 25/06/16 à 19:14, benoit a écrit :

> Hello,
>
>  I was trying to update the head element of a web page from within a
> widget (I would like to have the widget ensuring itself that css and js
> needed are loaded instead of using updatePage from the application
> class), and I noticed that using multiple times the same widget would
> add the css link in the head each time.
>  To be sure my code wasn't responsible of that, I checked the
> ILTodoListApplication widget and observed the same behaviour with
> ILLightbox : each time I displayed the lightbox, the css link is added
> to head element, ended with a lot of identicals lines.
>
>  I traced back the issue to two places :
>     - the "=" method of ILElement doesn't compare correctly the
> attributes dictionary, thus returning false even if all the attributes
> are the same ;
>     - the "updateHead" method of ILJsonHandler does update the html page
> displayed, but doesn't update the page head on the smalltalk side
> leaving to updating the html page every time.
>
>  I submitted a patch for those methods on
> http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~hernan/Iliad/versions/Iliad-Core.0.9.1.3-BenoitAstruc.24.
>

> @+
> Benoit

Re: DebugMode fixed

benoit
Le 09/07/16 à 03:05, benoit a écrit :
> Hello,
>
>  i just uploaded new versions of Iliad-Core and Iliad-Comanche, the goal
> was to get debugMode working. Now when starting the server with
> startDebugOn: we get a debugger window will opened.

  Wanted to write : a debugger window will open in case of an error like
a #doesNotUnderstand issue.