What's the best/most complete Class Browser?

What's the best/most complete Class Browser?

Linus De Meyere
Hey,

Is there any overview of the class browsers available in Pharo? It seems there are a few, and I'm not quite sure which one is the most complete these days. Moreover, some of the functionality I find in one browser (alphabetize) is missing in another.

Maybe it's just a matter of taste, but since I'm not yet very familiar with the Pharo environment, I thougt I'd better ask around.

Greetz,

Linus

Re: What's the best/most complete Class Browser?

Alexandre Bergel
This is a matter that we haven't reached a consensus yet. Some people
prefer the O2 Package Browser. This browser gives you a pretty good
feeling of a package structured image with folding/unfolding and
hierarchical views. Some may find this browser slow however.

The remaining of pharo users favor snappiness, and prefer
OBSystemBrowserAdaptor.

Cheers,
Alexandre

On 3 Jan 2010, at 13:49, Linus De Meyere wrote:

> Hey,
>
> Is there any overview of the class browsers available in Pharo? It
> seems there are a few, and I'm not quite sure which one is the most
> complete these days. Moreover, some of the functionality I find in
> one browser (alphabetize) is missing in another.
>
> Maybe it's just a matter of taste, but since I'm not yet very
> familiar with the Pharo environment, I thougt I'd better ask around.
>
> Greetz,
>
> Linus

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: What's the best/most complete Class Browser?

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi Linus. I like you name. I hope you know which is the best/most complete OS ;)

You asked a really complicated question. I will give you just my opinion:

OB advantages:
- It is most of the time quite stable
- It has good integration with refactoring tools (because the developer is the same -> Lukas)
- It is fast enough.

OB disadvantages:
- You don't have package support.

O2 advantages:
- It is nicer that OB
- Package support
- Cool little tools like running the test clicking in the circul and having the circul with black, green or other colors depending the running, etc.

O2 disadvantages:
- It overrides and depends of OB stuff (we hope this will be fixed)
- Sometimes I found it quite unstable. More likely the Refactoring integration
- Quite slow. This is due to the fact how packages are managed (I think) and Stef is trying to build a replace for this :)

In summary, I like more the O2 and I would like to use that, but for the things I told you as disadvantages and finished using OB.

Cheers

Mariano

On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 1:55 PM, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
This is a matter that we haven't reached a consensus yet. Some people
prefer the O2 Package Browser. This browser gives you a pretty good
feeling of a package structured image with folding/unfolding and
hierarchical views. Some may find this browser slow however.

The remaining of pharo users favor snappiness, and prefer
OBSystemBrowserAdaptor.

Cheers,
Alexandre

On 3 Jan 2010, at 13:49, Linus De Meyere wrote:

> Hey,
>
> Is there any overview of the class browsers available in Pharo? It
> seems there are a few, and I'm not quite sure which one is the most
> complete these days. Moreover, some of the functionality I find in
> one browser (alphabetize) is missing in another.
>
> Maybe it's just a matter of taste, but since I'm not yet very
> familiar with the Pharo environment, I thougt I'd better ask around.
>
> Greetz,
>
> Linus

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: What's the best/most complete Class Browser?

Stan Shepherd
Mariano Martinez Peck wrote

On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 1:55 PM, Alexandre Bergel <alexandre@bergel.eu>wrote:

> This is a matter that we haven't reached a consensus yet. Some people
> prefer the O2 Package Browser. This browser gives you a pretty good
> feeling of a package structured image with folding/unfolding and
> hierarchical views. Some may find this browser slow however.
>
> The remaining of pharo users favor snappiness, and prefer
> OBSystemBrowserAdaptor.
>
> Cheers,
> Alexandre
>

> On 3 Jan 2010, at 13:49, Linus De Meyere wrote:
>
> > Hey,
> >
> > Is there any overview of the class browsers available in Pharo? It
> > seems there are a few, and I'm not quite sure which one is the most
> > complete these days. Moreover, some of the functionality I find in
> > one browser (alphabetize) is missing in another.
> >
> > Maybe it's just a matter of taste, but since I'm not yet very
> > familiar with the Pharo environment, I thougt I'd better ask around.
> >
> > Greetz,
> >
> > Linus

Hi Linus, I have had exactly the same experience as Mariano. I would really recommend Lint/Code critics and Refactoring browser to help learn Pharo ways- a bit like having your own pair programming partner at all times. For now , that seems to mean OB.

To get an image with these all working together, look at:
http://www.seaside.st/distributions/Seaside-3.0a5.app.zip
(note this is not an official release, but it is very stable).

To make the ctl-c, ctl-v keys work (at least on Linux), you need to run
InputEventSensor duplicateControlAndAltKeys: true

And if you want it to look like the books/tutorials, change the theme to Watery 2 from the preference browser.

Hopefully the browsers will soon be reconciled with each other.

...Stan

Re: What's the best/most complete Class Browser?

Linus De Meyere
Thanks guys, this really helps.

2010/1/3 Stan Shepherd <[hidden email]>

Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Hi Linus. I like you name. I hope you know which is the best/most complete
> OS ;)

For sure I know that :-) It has really amazed me how portable the Smalltalk environments are.

> You asked a really complicated question. I will give you just my opinion:
>
> OB advantages:
> - It is most of the time quite stable
> - It has good integration with refactoring tools (because the developer is
> the same -> Lukas)
> - It is fast enough.
>
> OB disadvantages:
> - You don't have package support.
>
> O2 advantages:
> - It is nicer that OB
> - Package support
> - Cool little tools like running the test clicking in the circul and
> having
> the circul with black, green or other colors depending the running, etc.
>
> O2 disadvantages:
> - It overrides and depends of OB stuff (we hope this will be fixed)
> - Sometimes I found it quite unstable. More likely the Refactoring
> integration
> - Quite slow. This is due to the fact how packages are managed (I think)
> and
> Stef is trying to build a replace for this :)
>

> In summary, I like more the O2 and I would like to use that, but for the
> things I told you as disadvantages and finished using OB.
>
> Cheers
>
> Mariano
>
> On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 1:55 PM, Alexandre Bergel
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> This is a matter that we haven't reached a consensus yet. Some people
>> prefer the O2 Package Browser. This browser gives you a pretty good
>> feeling of a package structured image with folding/unfolding and
>> hierarchical views. Some may find this browser slow however.
>>
>> The remaining of pharo users favor snappiness, and prefer
>> OBSystemBrowserAdaptor.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Alexandre
>>

>> On 3 Jan 2010, at 13:49, Linus De Meyere wrote:
>>
>> > Hey,
>> >
>> > Is there any overview of the class browsers available in Pharo? It
>> > seems there are a few, and I'm not quite sure which one is the most
>> > complete these days. Moreover, some of the functionality I find in
>> > one browser (alphabetize) is missing in another.
>> >
>> > Maybe it's just a matter of taste, but since I'm not yet very
>> > familiar with the Pharo environment, I thougt I'd better ask around.
>> >
>> > Greetz,
>> >
>> > Linus

Hi Linus, I have had exactly the same experience as Mariano. I would really
recommend Lint/Code critics and Refactoring browser to help learn Pharo
ways- a bit like having your own pair programming partner at all times. For
now , that seems to mean OB.

I like the metaphor of using these tools as if they are your pairs :-)

To get an image with these all working together, look at:
http://www.seaside.st/distributions/Seaside-3.0a5.app.zip
http://www.seaside.st/distributions/Seaside-3.0a5.app.zip
(note this is not an official release, but it is very stable).

To make the ctl-c, ctl-v keys work (at least on Linux), you need to run
InputEventSensor duplicateControlAndAltKeys: true

And if you want it to look like the books/tutorials, change the theme to
Watery 2 from the preference browser.

As for now I stick with the Standard Squeak Theme. The colors of the windows really help organizing the workspace. Thanks for the tip anyway!