Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

What's the status of Pharo exercism?

Tim Mackinnon
Presumably someone is working on Pharo Exercism (did I notice Ben or Hilaire asking about the tonel format for it?)

Is it possible for someone to put a comment in the repo for it - so we can coordinate effort? I’m assuming that someone can at least get hello world working as an example?

It would also be handy if someone who understands how it works, can give a quick explanation here - as I would offer to suggest it as something for the next UK Smalltalk gathering next month. I’m assuming the cli submits files to some travis runner and you get results back - and we just have to fill something in that will interpret those files and launch a command line pharo to get the results (presumably handling walkbacks in a way that the results get fed back). And then I’m guess we have a pharo add-in that would let you do this from the image some way too?

Tim
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: What's the status of Pharo exercism?

Ben Coman

On 29 June 2018 at 22:53, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
Presumably someone is working on Pharo Exercism (did I notice Ben or Hilaire asking about the tonel format for it?)

Is it possible for someone to put a comment in the repo for it - so we can coordinate effort? I’m assuming that someone can at least get hello world working as an example?

It would also be handy if someone who understands how it works, can give a quick explanation here - as I would offer to suggest it as something for the next UK Smalltalk gathering next month. I’m assuming the cli submits files to some travis runner and you get results back - and we just have to fill something in that will interpret those files and launch a command line pharo to get the results (presumably handling walkbacks in a way that the results get fed back). And then I’m guess we have a pharo add-in that would let you do this from the image some way too?

Tim

I don't know much or even how I ended up tuning in on it - but of several of these sorts of initiatives I've heard about, Exercism looks like a good one.
I haven't put any thought into exercises, but have been thinking about infrastructure.  

Here is some discussion about making a code exporter to be able to use the command line tool to interact with the server.

I've been looking at how the command line tool communicates with the server 
to determine how hard it would be too hard to write a Pharo direct interface to their server.
I wasn't planning to share my experiments yet, but since it may be a while before I get a chance to extend it further,
perhaps it interests someone...

cheers -ben
Reply | Threaded
|

Tim Mackinnon
Hi Ben - it looks completely do-able.

Just submitted my hello world for python - and it wasn’t anything particularly special. I thought your suggestion of using Tonel is perfect - I’m just not sure how well the exercism site will render tonel format (ideally with correct colour coding).

I’ve noticed there are lots of Textmate themes for Smalltalk floating around (and indeed I took one and put it on my iPad for a text app who’s name I’ve forgotten and it seemed to render tonal fine). So if exercism uses that - then it really shouldn’t be a ton of work to make the submit/pull calls like you suggested? It seems that exercism is just providing conversations and a push pull mechanism - so really its git with training wheels? Or have I missed something?

Tim

On 29 Jun 2018, at 17:14, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:

Tim

I don't know much or even how I ended up tuning in on it - but of several of these sorts of initiatives I've heard about, Exercism looks like a good one.
I haven't put any thought into exercises, but have been thinking about infrastructure.  

Here is some discussion about making a code exporter to be able to use the command line tool to interact with the server.

to determine how hard it would be too hard to write a Pharo direct interface to their server.
I wasn't planning to share my experiments yet, but since it may be a while before I get a chance to extend it further,

cheers -ben

Reply | Threaded
|

Ben Coman
Per (https://github.com/exercism/meta/issues/91)
it looks like the syntax highlighter is "prism" (https://prismjs.com/).

It briefly crossed my mind to wonder if using ".st" for both traditional fileout format and tonel format might cause complications,
but that might be jumping at shadows.  Ultimately the both comprise Smalltalk syntax.

cheers -ben

On 30 June 2018 at 01:55, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:

Just submitted my hello world for python - and it wasn’t anything particularly special. I thought your suggestion of using Tonel is perfect - I’m just not sure how well the exercism site will render tonel format (ideally with correct colour coding).

I’ve noticed there are lots of Textmate themes for Smalltalk floating around (and indeed I took one and put it on my iPad for a text app who’s name I’ve forgotten and it seemed to render tonal fine). So if exercism uses that - then it really shouldn’t be a ton of work to make the submit/pull calls like you suggested? It seems that exercism is just providing conversations and a push pull mechanism - so really its git with training wheels? Or have I missed something?

Tim

Tim

cheers -ben

Reply | Threaded
|

Ben Coman
In reply to this post by Tim Mackinnon

To answer your questions...  your git analogy probably relates more to the pull-to-client side of things.  The push-side seems more associated with the web site's own user accounts.

cheers -ben
Reply | Threaded
|

Tim Mackinnon
In reply to this post by Ben Coman
Nice one Ben - I think a few quick iterations could get something out the door and then we can refine it and make it really cool!

On 29 Jun 2018, at 23:32, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:

It briefly crossed my mind to wonder if using ".st" for both traditional fileout format and tonel format might cause complications,
but that might be jumping at shadows.  Ultimately the both comprise Smalltalk syntax.

cheers -ben

Tim

Tim

cheers -ben

Reply | Threaded
|

Ben Coman

On 29 Jun 2018, at 23:32, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:

cheers -ben

Tim

Tim

On 30 June 2018 at 06:38, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
Nice one Ben - I think a few quick iterations could get something out the door and then we can refine it and make it really cool!

Btw, for on lookers, I'm more and more liking what I see in Exercism, 
with templates to help generate problem descriptions and test data for exercises.
For example...
https://github.com/exercism/docs/blob/master/language-tracks/exercises/anatomy/readmes.md

cheers -ben