What to do with this backtrace: VFS.VFSHandler nameIn: ''!

What to do with this backtrace: VFS.VFSHandler nameIn: ''!

Bram Neijt
Hi, I've got the following backtrace I don't know how to handle:

VFS.VFSHandler nameIn: ''!

Gives the backtrace:
Object: #VFS error: did not understand #between:and:
Symbol(Object)>>#primError:
MessageNotUnderstood(Exception)>>#defaultAction
optimized [] in Exception class>>#coreException
MessageNotUnderstood(Signal)>>#activateHandler:
MessageNotUnderstood(Exception)>>#signal
Symbol(Object)>>#doesNotUnderstand:
String(SequenceableCollection)>>#at:ifAbsent:
Namespace>>#nameIn:
VFS.VFSHandler class(ClassDescription)>>#nameIn:
UndefinedObject>>#executeStatements
nil

How can I find the class name and overcome this problem? It works for
other classes just fine (for example: String nameIn: ''!)

Greetings,
  Bram

Re: What to do with this backtrace: VFS.VFSHandler nameIn: ''!

S11001001
Bram Neijt wrote:

> Hi, I've got the following backtrace I don't know how to handle:
>
> VFS.VFSHandler nameIn: ''!
>
> Gives the backtrace:
> Object: #VFS error: did not understand #between:and:
> <snip #doesNotUnderstand: chain>
> String(SequenceableCollection)>>#at:ifAbsent:
> Namespace>>#nameIn:
> VFS.VFSHandler class(ClassDescription)>>#nameIn:
> UndefinedObject>>#executeStatements
>
> How can I find the class name and overcome this problem? It works for
> other classes just fine (for example: String nameIn: ''!)

nameIn:'s argument is an AbstractNamespace, not a string.  This just
happens to work for the case you mention because SystemDictionary's
nameIn: method (which happens to be used for classes in Smalltalk)
ignores its aNamespace argument.

--
Stephen Compall
http://scompall.nocandysw.com/blog

Re: What to do with this backtrace: VFS.VFSHandler nameIn: ''!

Paolo Bonzini
Bram Neijt wrote:
> Hi, I've got the following backtrace I don't know how to handle:
>
> VFS.VFSHandler nameIn: ''!
As Stephen said, you should use "VFS.VFSHandler nameIn: Smalltalk" instead.

Paollo