What version is the amber website running?

What version is the amber website running?

Andy Burnett
I want to show people what Amber can do, but I have the feeling that the site is running an old version. Is that correct? And, if so, would it be possible to update it to the latest stable release?

Re: What version is the amber website running?

Hannes Hirzel
The version is not old as you can see in the screen shot. (0.13.3)

    SmalltalkImage version

gives you the version information.

https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber/releases
The release one day before 0.14.0

The code of the Amber web site is one of the repositories you find under

      https://github.com/amber-smalltalk

The web site's repository is

      https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber-website

The master branch is shown which is 2 years;

but what get's _displayed_ is the gh-pages branch which got updated 2 weeks ago.

Github displays what is in the gh-pages under the address

http://amber-smalltalk.github.io/amber-website/

http://amber-lang.net/ just points to
http://amber-smalltalk.github.io/amber-website/

--Hannes

On 1/21/15, Andy Burnett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I want to show people what Amber can do, but I have the feeling that the
> site is running an old version. Is that correct? And, if so, would it be
> possible to update it to the latest stable release?

Amber version on web site 2015-01-21 04:25:18.png (211K) Download Attachment
gh-pages branch from Amber web site 2015-01-21 04:30:45.png (95K) Download Attachment

Re: What version is the amber website running?

Bert Freudenberg
On 21.01.2015, at 05:37, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
The web site's repository is

     https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber-website

The master branch is shown which is 2 years;

but what get's _displayed_ is the gh-pages branch which got updated 2 weeks ago.

If you only use the gh-pages branch, then it is a good idea to make it the default branch shown by github:

After you did that, you can also delete the useless master branch to avoid confusion (on the branches page).

- Bert -

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: What version is the amber website running?

Andy Burnett

> On 20 Jan 2015, at 23:37, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The version is not old as you can see in the screen shot. (0.13.3)
>
>    SmalltalkImage version
>
> gives you the version information.
>
> https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber/releases
> The release one day before 0.14.0
>
> The code of the Amber web site is one of the repositories you find under
>
>      https://github.com/amber-smalltalk
>
> The web site's repository is
>
>      https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber-website
>
> The master branch is shown which is 2 years;
>
> but what get's _displayed_ is the gh-pages branch which got updated 2 weeks ago.
>
> Github displays what is in the gh-pages under the address
>
> http://amber-smalltalk.github.io/amber-website/
>
> http://amber-lang.net/ just points to
> http://amber-smalltalk.github.io/amber-website/
>
> --Hannes
> http://amber-smalltalk.github.io/amber-website/
>

>> On 1/21/15, Andy Burnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I want to show people what Amber can do, but I have the feeling that the
>> site is running an old version. Is that correct? And, if so, would it be
>> possible to update it to the latest stable release?

Re: What version is the amber website running?

Andy Burnett
Thanks for the info. I didn't realise that the whole site was hosted on on GitHub. That's very cool

Cheers
Andy

> On 20 Jan 2015, at 23:37, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The version is not old as you can see in the screen shot. (0.13.3)
>
>    SmalltalkImage version
>
> gives you the version information.
>
> https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber/releases
> The release one day before 0.14.0
>
> The code of the Amber web site is one of the repositories you find under
>
>      https://github.com/amber-smalltalk
>
> The web site's repository is
>
>      https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber-website
>
> The master branch is shown which is 2 years;
>
> but what get's _displayed_ is the gh-pages branch which got updated 2 weeks ago.
>
> Github displays what is in the gh-pages under the address
>
> http://amber-smalltalk.github.io/amber-website/
>
> http://amber-lang.net/ just points to
> http://amber-smalltalk.github.io/amber-website/

Re: What version is the amber website running?

Amber Smalltalk mailing list
Hi Andy,

I just had a Smalltalk demo yesterday.
I showed some locals VASmalltalk and Pharo by developing more or less
jsut in the inspector and they were amazed.
Next time I will show Amber.

I do not know how much knowledge you have in Amber-Smalltalk nor web
development, but here is some hint for you.

If you would like to show your audience how live Amber in deed is, then
I would have a look into this Amber addon:
https://github.com/HeSe/amber-processingJs

You can choose or start a different demo by changing the class name of
the desired scene in the index.html
  amber.globals.PjsSketchContainer._newWidth_height_sketchClass_canvasId_(500, 500, 'ProcessingClock', 'canvas1');
or
  amber.globals.PjsSketchContainer._newWidth_height_sketchClass_canvasId_(500, 500, 'ProcessingClock', 'canvas1');
or
  amber.globals.PjsSketchContainer._newWidth_height_sketchClass_canvasId_(500, 500, 'ProcessingVector', 'canvas1');

In this demo you can navigate into a rendering method and change
parameters. The scene adopts the changes live....
That is quite a jaw dropper usually.

Sebastian

Am 21.01.2015 um 06:36 schrieb Andy Burnett:

> Thanks for the info. I didn't realise that the whole site was hosted on on GitHub. That's very cool
>
> Cheers
> Andy
>

>> On 20 Jan 2015, at 23:37, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> The version is not old as you can see in the screen shot. (0.13.3)
>>
>>     SmalltalkImage version
>>
>> gives you the version information.
>>
>> https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber/releases
>> The release one day before 0.14.0
>>
>> The code of the Amber web site is one of the repositories you find under
>>
>>       https://github.com/amber-smalltalk
>>
>> The web site's repository is
>>
>>       https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber-website
>>
>> The master branch is shown which is 2 years;
>>
>> but what get's _displayed_ is the gh-pages branch which got updated 2 weeks ago.
>>
>> Github displays what is in the gh-pages under the address
>>
>> http://amber-smalltalk.github.io/amber-website/
>>
>> http://amber-lang.net/ just points to
>> http://amber-smalltalk.github.io/amber-website/

Re: What version is the amber website running?

Hannes Hirzel
thank you, Bert

We'll do it
https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber-website/issues/23

--Hannes

On 1/21/15, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 21.01.2015, at 05:37, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The web site's repository is
>>
>>      https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber-website
>>
>> The master branch is shown which is 2 years;
>>
>> but what get's _displayed_ is the gh-pages branch which got updated 2
>> weeks ago.
>
> If you only use the gh-pages branch, then it is a good idea to make it the
> default branch shown by github:
>

> After you did that, you can also delete the useless master branch to avoid
> confusion (on the branches page).
>

> - Bert -

Re: What version is the amber website running?

Hannes Hirzel
On 1/21/15, 'Sebastian Heidbrink' via amber-lang
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Andy,
>
> I just had a Smalltalk demo yesterday.
> I showed some locals VASmalltalk and Pharo by developing more or less
> jsut in the inspector and they were amazed.
> Next time I will show Amber.
>
> I do not know how much knowledge you have in Amber-Smalltalk nor web
> development, but here is some hint for you.
>
> If you would like to show your audience how live Amber in deed is, then
> I would have a look into this Amber addon:
> https://github.com/HeSe/amber-processingJs
>
> You can choose or start a different demo by changing the class name of
> the desired scene in the index.html
>
> amber.globals.PjsSketchContainer._newWidth_height_sketchClass_canvasId_(500,
> 500, 'ProcessingClock', 'canvas1');
> or
>
> amber.globals.PjsSketchContainer._newWidth_height_sketchClass_canvasId_(500,
> 500, 'ProcessingClock', 'canvas1');
> or
>
> amber.globals.PjsSketchContainer._newWidth_height_sketchClass_canvasId_(500,
> 500, 'ProcessingVector', 'canvas1');
>
> In this demo you can navigate into a rendering method and change
> parameters. The scene adopts the changes live....
> That is quite a jaw dropper usually.

Great, may I suggest that you add these instructions to your

https://github.com/HeSe/amber-processingJs/blob/master/README.md

--Hannes

> Sebastian
>
> Am 21.01.2015 um 06:36 schrieb Andy Burnett:
>> Thanks for the info. I didn't realise that the whole site was hosted on on
>> GitHub. That's very cool
>>
>> Cheers
>> Andy
>>

>>> On 20 Jan 2015, at 23:37, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> The version is not old as you can see in the screen shot. (0.13.3)
>>>
>>>     SmalltalkImage version
>>>
>>> gives you the version information.
>>>
>>> https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber/releases
>>> The release one day before 0.14.0
>>>
>>> The code of the Amber web site is one of the repositories you find under
>>>
>>>       https://github.com/amber-smalltalk
>>>
>>> The web site's repository is
>>>
>>>       https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber-website
>>>
>>> The master branch is shown which is 2 years;
>>>
>>> but what get's _displayed_ is the gh-pages branch which got updated 2
>>> weeks ago.
>>>
>>> Github displays what is in the gh-pages under the address
>>>
>>> http://amber-smalltalk.github.io/amber-website/
>>>
>>> http://amber-lang.net/ just points to
>>> http://amber-smalltalk.github.io/amber-website/

Re: What version is the amber website running?

Hannes Hirzel
BTW coming back to the original question about the version.

Herby added a quick fix this morning so that the version shows up at
the top left after Amber has loaded.

      http://amber-lang.net/

check HTML source to see how it was done ... :-)

On 1/21/15, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 1/21/15, 'Sebastian Heidbrink' via amber-lang
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Andy,
>>
>> I just had a Smalltalk demo yesterday.
>> I showed some locals VASmalltalk and Pharo by developing more or less
>> jsut in the inspector and they were amazed.
>> Next time I will show Amber.
>>
>> I do not know how much knowledge you have in Amber-Smalltalk nor web
>> development, but here is some hint for you.
>>
>> If you would like to show your audience how live Amber in deed is, then
>> I would have a look into this Amber addon:
>> https://github.com/HeSe/amber-processingJs
>>
>> You can choose or start a different demo by changing the class name of
>> the desired scene in the index.html
>>
>> amber.globals.PjsSketchContainer._newWidth_height_sketchClass_canvasId_(500,
>> 500, 'ProcessingClock', 'canvas1');
>> or
>>
>> amber.globals.PjsSketchContainer._newWidth_height_sketchClass_canvasId_(500,
>> 500, 'ProcessingClock', 'canvas1');
>> or
>>
>> amber.globals.PjsSketchContainer._newWidth_height_sketchClass_canvasId_(500,
>> 500, 'ProcessingVector', 'canvas1');
>>
>> In this demo you can navigate into a rendering method and change
>> parameters. The scene adopts the changes live....
>> That is quite a jaw dropper usually.
>
> Great, may I suggest that you add these instructions to your
>
> https://github.com/HeSe/amber-processingJs/blob/master/README.md
>
> --Hannes
>

>> Sebastian
>>
>> Am 21.01.2015 um 06:36 schrieb Andy Burnett:
>>> Thanks for the info. I didn't realise that the whole site was hosted on
>>> on
>>> GitHub. That's very cool
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Andy

Re: What version is the amber website running?

Amber Smalltalk mailing list
Ohhh I didn't push that.

Well, I will correct that tonight!

Thank you!
Sebastian

Am 21.01.2015 um 06:57 schrieb H. Hirzel:

> On 1/21/15, 'Sebastian Heidbrink' via amber-lang
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Andy,
>>
>> I just had a Smalltalk demo yesterday.
>> I showed some locals VASmalltalk and Pharo by developing more or less
>> jsut in the inspector and they were amazed.
>> Next time I will show Amber.
>>
>> I do not know how much knowledge you have in Amber-Smalltalk nor web
>> development, but here is some hint for you.
>>
>> If you would like to show your audience how live Amber in deed is, then
>> I would have a look into this Amber addon:
>> https://github.com/HeSe/amber-processingJs
>>
>> You can choose or start a different demo by changing the class name of
>> the desired scene in the index.html
>>
>> amber.globals.PjsSketchContainer._newWidth_height_sketchClass_canvasId_(500,
>> 500, 'ProcessingClock', 'canvas1');
>> or
>>
>> amber.globals.PjsSketchContainer._newWidth_height_sketchClass_canvasId_(500,
>> 500, 'ProcessingClock', 'canvas1');
>> or
>>
>> amber.globals.PjsSketchContainer._newWidth_height_sketchClass_canvasId_(500,
>> 500, 'ProcessingVector', 'canvas1');
>>
>> In this demo you can navigate into a rendering method and change
>> parameters. The scene adopts the changes live....
>> That is quite a jaw dropper usually.
> Great, may I suggest that you add these instructions to your
>
> https://github.com/HeSe/amber-processingJs/blob/master/README.md
>
> --Hannes
>

>> Sebastian
>>
>> Am 21.01.2015 um 06:36 schrieb Andy Burnett:
>>> Thanks for the info. I didn't realise that the whole site was hosted on on
>>> GitHub. That's very cool
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Andy

Re: What version is the amber website running?

Hannes Hirzel
On 1/21/15, Andy Burnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks for the info. I didn't realise that the whole site was hosted on on
> GitHub. That's very cool

Yes, indeed.

It might be instructive to watch what is happening here as for the
update from 0.13.3 to 0.14.3

https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber-website/issues/24

You might want to do it as well in your own fork as an exercise.