What would be the first code snippet you would show

What would be the first code snippet you would show

stepharo
Hi

For the mooc I have a lecture called Pharo Syntax in a nutshell and I
would love to get a couple of simple examples
that show the syntax but are not totally boring.

I thought about something like

     ZnClient new
         url: 'http://localhost:8080/books/1';
         formAt: 'author' put: 'SquareBracketAssociates';
         formAt: 'title'  put: 'Pharo For The Enterprise';
         put

Re: What would be the first code snippet you would show

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Here are some more

  https://medium.com/concerning-pharo/elegant-pharo-code-bb590f0856d0

Maybe for teaching, the example should somehow be familiar, recognisable.
On the other hand, that might be confusing and lead to too many comparisons.

> On 17 Jun 2015, at 21:53, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> For the mooc I have a lecture called Pharo Syntax in a nutshell and I would love to get a couple of simple examples
> that show the syntax but are not totally boring.
>
> I thought about something like
>

>    ZnClient new
>        url: 'http://localhost:8080/books/1';
>        formAt: 'author' put: 'SquareBracketAssociates';
>        formAt: 'title'  put: 'Pharo For The Enterprise';
>        put
>

> Stef

Re: What would be the first code snippet you would show

Dmitri Zagidulin
Stef:
+1 about using somethign with ZnClient. Manipulating web pages (getting data, or filling out forms) is something all students can understand and get excited about (versus some of the other traditional code snippets in books).

Sven:
Wow, nice link! Those are excellent snippets.

On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 4:13 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
Here are some more

  https://medium.com/concerning-pharo/elegant-pharo-code-bb590f0856d0

Maybe for teaching, the example should somehow be familiar, recognisable.
On the other hand, that might be confusing and lead to too many comparisons.

> On 17 Jun 2015, at 21:53, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> For the mooc I have a lecture called Pharo Syntax in a nutshell and I would love to get a couple of simple examples
> that show the syntax but are not totally boring.
>
> I thought about something like
>

>    ZnClient new
>        url: 'http://localhost:8080/books/1';
>        formAt: 'author' put: 'SquareBracketAssociates';
>        formAt: 'title'  put: 'Pharo For The Enterprise';
>        put
>

> Stef

Re: What would be the first code snippet you would show

Offray
+1 to elegant code examples from Sven's blog post. Also something related with web data scrapping and browsing seems valuable and close to newbies. We have been using this approach on our local workshops in our hackathon and have worked pretty well.

Cheers,

Offray