Whats the difference betwen GroupBox.Default and GroupBox.Static text?

Whats the difference betwen GroupBox.Default and GroupBox.Static text?

Tim M
I am confused by the difference between GroupBox.Default and GroupBox.Static
Text - the latter seems to indicate (and the picuture it shows) that its
the group box that has a textual title on it.

However when you use the Static text version it renders incorrectly and the
text has a line drawn through it. On the other hand, if you use the Default
version, and set a name - it works correctly?

So whats the point of the first one?

As an aside - and I will report this in a second message - if you use the
first and try to mutate it to the second you get a walkback.

Tim

Re: Whats the difference betwen GroupBox.Default and GroupBox.Static text?

Chris Uppal-3
Tim,

> I am confused by the difference between GroupBox.Default and
> GroupBox.Static Text - the latter seems to indicate (and the picuture it
> shows) that its the group box that has a textual title on it.

I don't think there is any difference except that one resource is configured
with an empty #text string and the other has its #text set to 'Text here'.  The
'Default view' didn't exist in D5, presumably it has been added to make it
clear what a GroupBox can do (or maybe Andy felt that the Group box group in
the VC was looking a bit threadbare ;-)

> However when you use the Static text version it renders incorrectly and
> the text has a line drawn through it. On the other hand, if you use the
> Default version, and set a name - it works correctly?

Works fine for me.  WinXP Pro.  Emulated "classic" look.

Have you (perhaps accidentally) turned on one of the border options
(#hasBorder, hasClientEdge, #hasStaticEdge) for the control or its immediate
container ?

> As an aside - and I will report this in a second message - if you use the
> first and try to mutate it to the second you get a walkback.

That works fine for me too.  Do you get the same problems in a clean image ?

    -- chris

Re: Whats the difference betwen GroupBox.Default and GroupBox.Static text?

Andy Bower-3
Tim,

> > I am confused by the difference between GroupBox.Default and
> > GroupBox.Static Text - the latter seems to indicate (and the
> > picuture it shows) that its the group box that has a textual title
> > on it.
>
> I don't think there is any difference except that one resource is
> configured with an empty #text string and the other has its #text set
> to 'Text here'.  The 'Default view' didn't exist in D5, presumably it
> has been added to make it clear what a GroupBox can do (or maybe Andy
> felt that the Group box group in the VC was looking a bit threadbare
> ;-)
>

> > However when you use the Static text version it renders incorrectly
> > and the text has a line drawn through it. On the other hand, if you
> > use the Default version, and set a name - it works correctly?
>
> Works fine for me.  WinXP Pro.  Emulated "classic" look.
>
> Have you (perhaps accidentally) turned on one of the border options
> (#hasBorder, hasClientEdge, #hasStaticEdge) for the control or its
> immediate container ?
>

> > As an aside - and I will report this in a second message - if you
> > use the first and try to mutate it to the second you get a walkback.
>
> That works fine for me too.  Do you get the same problems in a clean
> image ?

Chris is right, there is no difference between the two GroupBoxes
except that one has some text set and a different background colour. I
think he is also right in that we added the "static text version" to
actually show that a text label was possible. In retrospect, we should
probably have just added some text to the default view.

I also don't see any rendering problems when I just add the default
version of either group box to a shell view. Do you have an XP theme
set?

Best regards,

--
Andy Bower