WhatsUp from: 2013-03-18 until: 2013-03-31

WhatsUp from: 2013-03-18 until: 2013-03-31

seaside
Hi! We're sending this automatic email twice a month, to give the community an opportunity to easily know what's happening and to coordinate efforts.  Just answer informally, and feel free to spawn discussions thereafter!

### Here's what I've been up to since the last WhatsUp:

- $HEROIC_ACHIEVEMENTS_OR_DISMAL_FAILURES_OR_SIMPLE_BORING_NECESSARY_TASKS

### What's next, until 2013-03-31 (*):

- $NEXT_STEPS_TOWARDS_WORLD_DOMINATION

(*) we'll be expecting results by then ;)

Re: WhatsUp from: 2013-03-18 until: 2013-03-31

Damien Pollet
### Here's what I've been up to since the last WhatsUp:

- Mate meeting last thursday
- fix pharo whatsup, hate cron
- helping phrase the welcome page on fogbugz
- some progress on sbabook

### What's next, until 2013-03-31

- feedback on the NB paper
- install a whatsup cron for moose (Doru?)
- a good chunk of teaching, so less code

Damien Pollet

Re: WhatsUp from: 2013-03-18 until: 2013-03-31

Camillo Bruni-3

On 2013-03-18, at 13:03, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi! We're sending this automatic email twice a month, to give the community an opportunity to easily know what's happening and to coordinate efforts.  Just answer informally, and feel free to spawn discussions thereafter!
>
> ### Here's what I've been up to since the last WhatsUp:

- issue cleanup on fogbugz
- pharo 2.0 session
- pharo 3.0 planning meeting
- improvements on webdoc (now it's fully and properly REST based)

> ### What's next, until 2013-03-31 (*):

- finally pharo 3.0 issues
- fix the monkey for 3.0 and fogbugz
- finish exporting webdoc for 1.4 and 2.0
- get my language-side JIT on top of NativeBoost working :P

Re: WhatsUp from: 2013-03-18 until: 2013-03-31

Guillermo Polito

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 1:03 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi! We're sending this automatic email twice a month, to give the community an opportunity to easily know what's happening and to coordinate efforts.  Just answer informally, and feel free to spawn discussions thereafter!

### Here's what I've been up to since the last WhatsUp:

- Working on Hazelnut2
- Some pharo meetings
- Some Keymappings cleansings, comments and renamings for 3.0

### What's next, until 2013-03-31 (*):

- More Hazelnut2
- Some Keymappings cleansings, comments and renamings for 3.0
- Keymappings 101 tuto in blog (for 2.0, cause in 3.0 the api coould change a bit :)
- Some test dbxtalk in 2.0 and update configurations

On 18 March 2013 21:45, Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]> wrote:
- Keymappings 101 tuto in blog (for 2.0, cause in 3.0 the api coould change a bit :)

I just read your post… question: is it possible to define semi-modal sequences?

Let me explain: modes are (hidden) states in the system that influence how it interprets inputs. Typical example is capslock: depending on its state, pressing the A key will give you a or A.

Having too many or unclear modes is bad, because you have to track their state in your mind, or take a specific action to know which mode you're in. In contrast, a semi-mode is when you need continuous physical action to maintain it; typical example is the modifier keys like shift alt ctrl… Semi-modes are a much better compromise (ideally there would be no modes anywhere, but that's not very realistic in practice).

To get back to my point, a semi-modal sequence would be:

($a asShortcut, $b asShortcut) ctrl "[press ctrl] a b [release ctrl]"

as opposed to:
$a asShortcut ctrl, $b asShortcut ctrl "maybe release ctrl in the middle"

where if you press ctrl-a and get interrupted, you're going to be confused when ctrl-b does not do what it's supposed to do as a standalone shortcut… if you're an emacs user, think ctrl-G, if you're a vim user, think spurious i's in your files…

--
Damien Pollet